Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
x265/ffmpeg efficiency: Zen2 so much faster than Zen(1)+?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guru meditation
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: x265/ffmpeg efficiency: Zen2 so much faster than Zen(1)+? Reply with quote

Recently I converted about 20 HD videos (1920x1080) with x265/ffmpeg to H265 (preset slow).

On a system with Threadripper (2950X) (Zen+, 16 cores, TDP 180W), it reached around 6 fps. CPU load was around 80-90%

On a Ryzen 3700X (Zen2, 8 cores, TDP 65W), it reached around 9-10 fps. CPU load was around 90%.

Both systems level out at around 4Ghz.

I tried to reduce ffmpeg to use only 8 cores and let 2 instances of ffmpeg run instead, but then I get 2 instances running at 3 fps.

Since the Gentoo is is basically the same: Is the Zen2 architecture so much advanced/optimised compared to the Zen+?
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffmpeg/x256 prints an info line with the hardware capabilities it uses. On my Zen3 processor, it prints:
Code:
265 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast LZCNT SSSE3 SSE4.2 AVX FMA3 BMI2 AVX2

What does ffmpeg/x256 print on your machines?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_2 mentions that on Zen2 architecture, 'AVX2 performance is greatly improved by an increase in execution unit width from 128-bit to 256-bit.'

That could make a difference.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tortured my Intel CPU with it until nVidia cards got cheaper, I got a GeForce GTX 1660 when prices dropped. 1920x1080 encoding to H.265 goes average 190 FPS.

Edit: Just checked the prices, it was a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure I paid around $120 for my card. The prices are way up.
guru meditation
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ffmpeg shows the same CPU capabilities on both Zen2 and Zen+. 2 AVX2 units instead of 1 seems logical for the increased speed, as some other Linux' ffmpeg (without compiled in AVX supports) drags on forever.

H264/H265 GPU support is fine when you don't have to deal with low bitrates, then GPU encoding early tends to create block artefacts.I use nvidia to burn in timecode in a jiffy, but for movies x265 only.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: