Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Plasma + Wayland + Nvidia: has anyone got this to work?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatsh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Plasma + Wayland + Nvidia: has anyone got this to work? Reply with quote

I have tried a few times with a brand new user account to run Plasma with Wayland and it never seems to work properly. It seems to easily get corrupted and I get random errors. I am on nvidia-drivers (3080 Ti) and I have the Rocket Lake 11900K CPU. My system is built with 'wayland' in global USE.

If you have got it to work, could you explain how you did it?

For right now I can barely use it as most apps I use are X11-only and the upscaling within XWayland is blocky (maybe this can be fixed), but I would like to see it working at least stabily.
Romanticio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run all kind of Linux, just my two cents. Plasma is currently unstable on X11 on my unit. Gentoo Gnome on Wayland is rock solid, same with any other distro so far, got an Awesome DE also but so far only Gnome on Wayland.
But both Gentoo and Debian Testing running KDE are on drugs, I recently tried Debian Testing without Nvidia drivers for the first time in over 10 years, looks so nice with nouveau I'm holding back.

However, I suspect this may be the culprit on my end, I'm gonna make an image and try it with Nvidia for a bit see if that cures it, got rid of Gentoo Plasma, Laptop is showing stress from updating two Gentoos. Currently have no Linux on expensive drugs (Nvidia).

So what's all the babble about?
Your issue may likely stem from lack of proper support, like mine.
It's not the first time KDE/Plasma got wobbly.
saito
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a plasma-wayland-Gentoo with a Nvidia Card where Nouveau and 470 drivers had both been test. It's stable up to now, but the kernel is not the latest, you can try the version lower than 5.9.
archenroot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running the set which you just describe:
in make.conf
USE= wayland - so global
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
I use nvidia P4000 quadro

I use stable branch, as a backup scenario I have installed also openbox and lxqt desktops, but at moment I am on latest updates and ssdm display-manager is only capable to start: Plasma in Wayland mode

When I try to start from ssdm login screen these:
lxqt
openbox
plasma x11

the login screen just freezes and it in some cases unfreezes after about 30 seconds, in some cases I must restart display-manager service. It worked about 2 months ago, so some nasty update did this.

But in general I am at moment only capable to run scenario which you suggest doesn't work :D
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romanticio wrote:
It's not the first time KDE/Plasma got wobbly.

If you have problems with your KDE Plasma setup then it will be between you and Nvidia.

Plasma is super solid in Gentoo stable and even the current 5.23 beta.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: