nvidia driver, second screen no output after sleep [NOFIX]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: nvidia driver, second screen no output after sleep [NOFIX] Reply with quote

So I just did a full system update after far too long, and now, when my computer wakes up from sleep mode, my second monitor doesn't get any signal.

X thinks it's there, nvidia control panel thinks it's there, but the monitor gets no signal.

It works fine on initial boot-up.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Illiander on Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which desktop are you using please?
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By sleep mode, do you mean suspend-to-RAM, suspend-to-disk (and power off), or both? You say that X thinks it's there. What output do you see that led you to that statement? What version of nVidia drivers are you using? Is the problem reproducible with Nouveau?
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using MATE desktop.

Sleep mode is labelled "put display to sleep when idle". The monitors go into some form of "off" mode, because they take a moment to show anything. I don't have any hard-drive power-saving because I've had issues with resuming from that in the past.

I think X thinks its there because the workspace switcher shows the extra width, the cursor leaves the active screen on that side, and windows that are on that screen aren't pushed to the other screen the way they are when the monitor is disconnected.

nvidia-drivers is version 460.67

I don't have noveau installed. I thought there were issues with a dual noveau/nvidia drivers system?

---

Did I miss anything?
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't have both nVidia and Nouveau loaded at once. I think it's valid to install both as long as only one can load. I've never tried that, though.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
You can't have both nVidia and Nouveau loaded at once. I think it's valid to install both as long as only one can load. I've never tried that, though.
Currently nvidia-drivers blacklist nouveau by default so it's fine as long as it's a module, using nouveau is just about commenting this out and it'll get loaded first blocking nvidia-drivers.

That aside, issues with nvidia and sleep aren't uncommon, but I only use a single monitor so not sure I can help.

Using systemd and nvidia's sleep services does seem to reduce odds of issues in general though. elogind tried to implement something similar but not sure if it's working right. May not be related to the particular issue you're having either way.
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
That aside, issues with nvidia and sleep aren't uncommon, but I only use a single monitor so not sure I can help.

I never had any issues when using nvidia-drivers 450. Might check the changelog and see if there's anything actually useful in the update.

Quote:
Using systemd and nvidia's sleep services does seem to reduce odds of issues in general though. elogind tried to implement something similar but not sure if it's working right. May not be related to the particular issue you're having either way.

Has systemd stabilised on what it's replacing yet?
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illiander wrote:
Ionen wrote:

I never had any issues when using nvidia-drivers 450. Might check the changelog and see if there's anything actually useful in the update.
Ah so it sounds like a regression then, 460+ did change many things wrt sleep, this notably needed to change back /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf's NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations= from 1 to 0 or else suspend was unusable everywhere except with systemd (450 still sets this to =1)

450 branch is technically not dead yet, it received a security update recently and so it'll stay in ::gentoo for a while still (if needed while waiting for nvidia to fix issues).

You could check if ~testing's 470.42.01 drivers helps any too, "maybe" your issues are already fixed. Not that 465/470 don't bring their own share of issues and won't be stable for a while (coolbits, backlight control, dxvk Xid and DP null pointer.. but think the last two are fixed in 470 and it should be okay)

Quote:
Has systemd stabilised on what it's replacing yet?
Not sure what you mean, not that I'm saying you have to use it, just that it's what nvidia supports (no telling whether it'd really help or not either).

Edit: elogind has a HandleNvidiaSleep config option disabled by default, unsure if it can help.
Illiander
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave up on this and just set it to never sleep.

Not the only nVidia "feature" that I need to turn off. PowerMizer never clocks back up either.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: