[SOLVED]Veracrypt fuse: device not found
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dimwit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]Veracrypt fuse: device not found Reply with quote

Hello, I'm trying to mount my encrypted container in Veracrypt but I'm getting this error that pops up in a dialog box:
Code:

fuse: device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first

I don't know why this happens, I did tried to modprobe it(both as user and as root).
As built-in, it doesn't show any error or any output so I assume that it works, but it still gives the same error.
But as a module, it shows:
Code:

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'fuse': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg:
Code:

[ 4119.905219] fuse: Unknown symbol make_kuid (err -2)
[ 4119.905265] fuse: Unknown symbol from_kgid (err -2)
[ 4119.905281] fuse: Unknown symbol from_kuid (err -2)
[ 4119.905285] fuse: Unknown symbol current_in_userns (err -2)
[ 4119.905296] fuse: Unknown symbol make_kgid (err -2)
[ 4119.905300] fuse: Unknown symbol from_kgid_munged (err -2)
[ 4119.905339] fuse: Unknown symbol __put_user_ns (err -2)
[ 4119.905351] fuse: Unknown symbol from_kuid_munged (err -2)

I also tried to emerge veracrypt with a fuse useflag out of curiousity, it still showed the same error.
I couldn't figure it out, it's going to be a problem for me because I use encrypted partition and containers for my files.
I also saw other people with similar problem in the forum and on reddit. Modprobbing fixes the problem for them, I dunno why it doesn't work for me.

There's more to this though, I tried using cryptsetup because the wiki said that it can mount veracrypt volumes. I used this guide:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dm-crypt#Mounting_TrueCrypt.2Ftcplay.2FVeraCrypt_volumes
basically:
Code:

cryptsetup --type tcrypt /dev/sdb1 veracrypt1

but it returns an error:
Code:

Required kernel crypto interface not available.
Ensure you have algif_skcipher kernel module loaded.

I don't understand why it's giving me that error, I did exactly what it says, but there was one thing that was strange about the wiki, it says to activate this:
Code:

<*> AES cipher algorithms (x86_64)

But the only AES that exist beside the non-x86_64 is:
Code:

<*> AES cipher algorithms (AES-NI)

Last edited by dimwit on Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimwit,

the error you are getting implies the module is not built for your running kernel, version mismatch. You rely on FUSE, why don't you build it into your kernel.
dimwit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so what I did the first time was correct, so I made it built-in in the kernel again, but why is veracrypt still telling me to modprobe fuse? I'm a bit confused, because I don't think I messed with any configs that much. I'm still a beginner with gentoo. Is this a kernel problem or is veracrypt outdated?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimwit,

Are you running the kernel you think you are?
What does
Code:
uname -a
tell?

The date/time is the build time of the running kernel. Is it when you remembered building il?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
dimwit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Built time is July 6... oh no... wait what, oh okay I get it now, so it didn't get inserted into /boot, this did happened to me last time but I wasn't aware how and why, this is when I was configuring my alsa.
Wait, so I misread the wiki during the installation process. In the wiki it tells you that sometimes you don't want it to be automounted because of security risks, so it gives you the defaults,noatime. Okay, I'm so dumb, sorry guys. I fixed it by doing:
Code:

mount /dev/sda1 /boot
make install

But I'll have to remember to just mount it manually. Thanks and sorry for being noob. :oops:
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimwit,

We all do that occasionally :)
Part of my kernel update is to run uname -a after the first beet of a new kernel.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a slightly more automated solution to that. agetty, the standard getty for most systems, understands various backslash-escape sequences in /etc/issue, and expands them to various dynamic values. See man agetty for the full list. Putting a \r in /etc/issue will get you the output of uname -r, shown as part of your pre-login banner. Likewise, \v will get you the output of uname -v. The combination of these is likely sufficient to let you quickly check whether you are running the new kernel. These will be visible pre-login, so you may not want this if untrusted users have physical access to the console and you want to keep the kernel version secret from them.

If you use an initramfs, you could also have it run uname -rv if you prefer. This might be useful if you need to interact with the initramfs to unlock a drive, and want to know the kernel version before you unlock.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: