View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately wear related failure of SSDs are pretty well gauged at this point, at least the ones that keep track of erase cycles for each block which any self respecting company will do. You won't likely find suddenly one day you must replace the SSD due to wear failure.

This is different than other failures like random or infant mortality failures, but HDDs have the same problem anyway.

But agreed the cost per bit is still too high for me, which is the sole reason for not switching to all SSD. Plus scratch disks* were meant to be scratch disks that one keeps writing on...

---

Incidentally speaking about scratch disks, someone handed me a 5¼" floppy disk with a label "Scratch Disk" affixed to it. Noticing it had bad sectors, I spun the mylar around to see if I could see physical damage on the surface.

Turns out, someone actually took a fingernail and deliberately scratched the mylar for the full length of the head access hole for a few times... Wow. *facepalm*.
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My storage requirements are pretty low. Around 2TB, but with redundancy, so say 4TB (which should leave me some spare storage too) and I could go full SSD on my server, which is the only machine where I still have HDDs.
But I would also need to buy a new server... The current one is quite old, and consumes too much power. I'm thinking of some low power 2U server... Oh well. Too many things going on atm. I need to think that over again maybe next year.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Fortunately wear related failure of SSDs are pretty well gauged at this point, at least the ones that keep track of erase cycles for each block which any self respecting company will do. You won't likely find suddenly one day you must replace the SSD due to wear failure.
You're probably right, but I don't know enough to trust that to remain reliable as they force more into the same physical space.

The primary use case I was thinking of was for swap, hibernate (maybe) and letting emerge thrash away. I'm considering a dedicated build system that hibernates or powers down when not in use, with WoL to bring it back when needed. I'd prefer a remote console, but I haven't found any good options for consumer hardware. I'm also considering something build-to-order as I haven't tried to keep up tech minutia in a very long time, and the prospect of doing the research for a <$k DIY build has zero appeal (of course, I haven't seen the price for paying someone else either, which partially explains why my current and possibly dying build system is an AMD II X4 965.

I only generally think about that after going through a bunch of delayed maintenance as I've been doing recently. Updating llvm/clang/boost and then migrating to a new gcc and rebuilding them again takes a long time if all goes well. And that doesn't include the other parts of regular upgrades. The Siren song of the binary distro causes me drift toward the rocks every time.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manufacturers do stress testing and know that the cells will survive that 500, 1000, 5000, etc. cycles at minimum. You will typically get more if the controller allows it but once you hit that number you've gone out of spec and results aren't guaranteed anymore. As said this wear number is kept track of and you can see it slowly decrementing, so you'll see how many erasures you have left before it's time to replace.

I think if you're planning to use for swap, as long as it's "intelligent" swapping you're fine. Using it as an outright replacement for RAM, i.e., unintelligent swapping, will not work long term. Also note that unintelligent use of swap, it's still not going to suddenly die on you, it's still subject to the same gradual degradation. Also hopefully you're not continually thrashswapping, once you're done with whatever you're building, it'll sit idle and not going to go through erase cycles. I've accidentally thrash swapped ("unintelligent swapping") to my SSDs before and the amount of wear that caused was not a big deal though I do have 2BPC units. One of the machines that I thrash swapped still choked hard, and had to hard reboot it (ran too many threads on the local processor because distcc failed).

Hibernation is absolutely no problem. You're not constantly hibernating, and this is a common use for SSDs.

Using it for PORTAGE_TMPDIR is not that big a deal either. Again you're not constantly merging stuff day in and day out, 365/7...

Again I would think that constantly downloading video torrents and deleting them, or probably continuous full bandwidth surveillance recording would be the harshest workloads, unless you count using it as RAM replacement on a memory bandwidth intensive application.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean manufacturers like WD, Samsung, Crucial? :twisted:

If speed were more of a priority, I'd have more than just the one in my laptop.

I'm hoping to get back to pruning my redundant copies of data so capacity will at least shift in priority to knowing that I want what I have.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: