QT-webengine fails to compile new version available
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poe_1957
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: QT-webengine fails to compile new version available Reply with quote

Code:
Version 6.1.1 is available upstream. Please consider updating!
It seems that version 6.1.1 is available upstream, while the latest version in the Gentoo tree is 5.15.2_p20210521.

Current version does not compile with python 3.9 or 3.8 with systemd and KDE. Please do upgrade.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kde and other packages need yet qt-5 and i think few packages, if any in the tree, require qt-6 so packaging and testing it now is not a priority.
What is the problem to install python:2.7 for building current qtwebengine?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread makes not much sense in the absence of anything using it yet. Even more so for the lack of actual Qt6 packaging.
poe_1957
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Breakage of running KDE system Reply with quote

@fedelialalinea @ asturm
indeed bud it is backwards compatible while the current package is not compatible with the new version of the packages using Python 3.8 and 3.9. So fallback to python 2.7 is not an option; Either Gentoo should have stayed with Python 2.7 or moved first the base packages as QTwebengine is to python 3.8. You are breaking once more the whole KDE package.

I hardly can imagine that you do not understand the hierarchy of the KDE desktop environment.
Gnome will probably function well, but this is not the desktop that I want and with me a lot of other users.

I am VERY dissappointing in your answer. Qt5 can be continue to be used. even if you use the new QTWebengine., you just compile it against QT5 instead of QT6. probably less features but it would run as well als the other packages. and transistion would be smooth. Now it is a bumpy ride. with a lot of stops and breaking.
In the previous upgrade you did the same. I can imagine you can do it once but two times a full breakage of the KDE system ???

I have never encounter this in my full carreer as IT systemadmin.!!!
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The python:2.7 is not a problem because is only a build dependency.
I have python3_9 as only python target and qtwebengine is installed without problems, that's why python:2.7 still exists in the tree.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poe_1957, could you clarify what it is you want done differently? I understand from your posts that you think the KDE team did something wrong, but it's not clear to me what is actually broken. You haven't shown any error messages. Gentoo still has a Python 2.7 available for those things that need it, but is trying to move away from it.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

To add to what others already mentioned, the first development release of Qt 6 Qt WebEngine is 6.2.0-alpha1, and from what I can see, it looks like it still requires Python 2.

Looking at the Chromium ebuilds, 93.x is the first to not have that dependency, and the highest Qt WebEngine goes at the moment is 90-based (5.15 will stick to 87-based).

Indeed, please do show us what actually is broken, and how. :]
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakage of running KDE system Reply with quote

poe_1957 wrote:
You are breaking once more the whole KDE package.

Not making sense again.

poe_1957 wrote:
even if you use the new QTWebengine., you just compile it against QT5 instead of QT6.

Quite simply, no: https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtwebengine.git/tree/CMakeLists.txt?h=6.2#n22
Romanticio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't care for most of the apps dependent on QTWebengine or the issues I used to have compiling it, solved all that with "-webengine" in make.conf USE section before installing kde-plasma/plasma-meta. The apps I wanted I installed individually, like Dolphine, Konsole etc. Just a suggestion, love my Plasma set-up without QTWebengine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: