View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Recent KDE/Plasma icon issues. Reply with quote

So I picked up some 200 updates in the last four days for kde and plasma, and one of them has messed up my panels, as seen here.
Also, the icons on the launcher and the task manager are now different sizes, some programs are rendering icons too small too.

I'm going to start working backwards to try and find the culprit, but because KDE/Plasma "just works" i'm starting half blind, if anyone has some pointers for likely suspects I'd be grateful.

EDIT: It's a hacky solve, but I copied the panel containment files from the KDE/plasma-desktop git repo into a .local plasmoid directory, and it's behaving now.
paintchip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue and it's driving me crazy. Can you list your steps so I know exactly which files you copied? Also, I wasn't sure if I should file a bug report about this or if one already existed. I didn't see one in the Gentoo or KDE trackers. This was my last check and I was lucky enough to find your post :D

I'm also curious if you're using a 4k screen and/or any global scaling.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paintchip wrote:
I'm having the same issue and it's driving me crazy. Can you list your steps so I know exactly which files you copied?

Code:
cp /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.panel ./ -Rf
cd org.kde.panel/contents/ui/
rm *
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KDE/plasma-desktop/v5.21.90/containments/panel/contents/ui/ConfigOverlay.qml
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KDE/plasma-desktop/v5.21.90/containments/panel/contents/ui/LayoutManager.js
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KDE/plasma-desktop/v5.21.90/containments/panel/contents/ui/main.qml
cd ../../../
plasmapkg2 -i org.kde.panel
rm -rf org.kde.panel
It's not perfect, the task manager icons can be the wrong size, but every so often the scaling between the launcher icons and the task manager match (depending on panel height, mine's 32px and it's fine)
paintchip wrote:
Also, I wasn't sure if I should file a bug report about this or if one already existed.

It's probably a good idea at this stage, this fix is very hacky. I have a testuser account with no settings, if that exhibits the same issue I'll open a bug. << EDIT: My blankuser's desktop is fine, can't really open a bug knowing it's somewhere in my settings files.
paintchip wrote:
I'm also curious if you're using a 4k screen and/or any global scaling.

No, 1080p at 100% scale, I'm too old to use 4k, I can barely see a full HD pixel at this range, let alone one a quarter of the size :P

**From my edit, there is obliviously a solution that doesn't need hacky work arounds. My laptop is still on version 5.20. I'll login and out with a new account, upgrade to 5.21, then delete files one by one until it works; that should let me know where the config issue exists. I need to fix kde-connect's sms dialog first though...
paintchip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I definitely didn't know which files to replace and I didn't even know that plasmapkg2 existed. The fix is a bit hacky, but at least I can see everything on my taskbar now!

Did you have any luck narrowing down the package/config file in 5.21 that caused the issue?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: