System unusable
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gengreen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: System unusable Reply with quote

Hello

I had this bad feeling few month ago regarding the introduction of
a the new service : hard depends. virtual/service-manager

Today, my system is not usuable anymore following virtual/service-manager :

Code:

systemd-tmpfiles
sys-apps/openrc
net-misc/netifrc
sys-apps/sysvinit
app-admin/sudo
app-portage/eix

Now Gentoo, you are doing the same of the other "you take the dependencies we tell you to"
, systemd-tmpfiles and virtual/service-manager are mandatory for openrc, sudo and eix ? U are making really proud Canonical with you work !

and those dependencies found their way way too (never wanted any of them, useflag -minimal did become useless

Code:

virtual/resolvconf
virtual/logger
acct-group/utmp
media-libs/libmng
app-shells/quoter
virtual/mailx
mail-mta/nullmailer
virtual/mta
net-mail/mailutils

My system didn't get improved, didn't get more secure, I have the feeling of a non control on it, I won't run another emerge

Rip

[Moderator edit: changed broken [quote] tags to [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
freke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get you here....

If anything needs a service-manager it depends on virtual/service-manager; which gives you a choice of openrc, systemd, daemontools and runit it seems?

openrc needs something for handlig tmpfiles (virtual/tmpfiles) which again gives you choices.

The virtual just tells portage that you have a service-manager, a tmpfiles-system, a system-logger etc...
(and app-shells/quoter is needed for your eix)
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: System unusable Reply with quote

gengreen wrote:
Today, my system is not usuable anymore following virtual/service-manager :
How is the system unusable? What error messages are shown, and from what program?
gengreen wrote:
Now Gentoo, you are doing the same of the other "you take the dependencies we tell you to"
You take the dependencies that upstream requires of their programs. In some cases, Gentoo will force an additional dependency on the basis that omitting it produces such a bad user experience that it should be forcibly included. That seems pretty rare to me, though.
gengreen wrote:
systemd-tmpfiles and virtual/service-manager are mandatory for openrc, sudo and eix ?
From what did you derive that conclusion? What is the output of emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean acct-group/utmp app-admin/sudo app-portage/eix app-shells/quoter mail-mta/nullmailer media-libs/libmng net-mail/mailutils net-misc/netifrc sys-apps/openrc sys-apps/sysvinit systemd-tmpfiles virtual/logger virtual/mailx virtual/mta virtual/resolvconf?
gengreen wrote:
My system didn't get improved, didn't get more secure, I have the feeling of a non control on it, I won't run another emerge
As you wish. However, a neglected system will eventually become unusable in its own way.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? virtual/service-manager has existed for ages in the system set. It is satisfied by sys-apps/openrc if that's what you chose.

virtual/tmpfiles exists since 2016. Yes, it is a runtime dependency of sys-apps/openrc, because some services might rely on the init system processing the files their packages drop in tmpfiles.d. If they do, that's an upstream decision, not a Gentoo decision.

Yes, sys-apps/systemd-tmpfiles can satisfy virtual/tmpfiles, but this package installs only systemd-tmpfiles, without the rest of systemd, and it can work with OpenRC just fine, same as sys-fs/udev. It even looks like Gentoo provides patches for making systemd-tmpfiles work with musl. And even then, if you don't like having systemd-tmpfiles, install sys-apps/opentmpfiles instead, and that will satisfy the virtual.

Anything else will be installed either because you requested it, or because it is a dependency of something you requested. In particular, Gentoo does not force you to install app-admin/sudo or app-portage/eix.

acct-user/* and acct-group/* packages exist since 2019, and only correlate users and groups in the corresponding database with the packages that need them to exist.

Nothing of this is particularly new...
gengreen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://g3ngr33n.github.io/systemd-openrc/index.html

Usable again
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, you have shared with the world a sketchy solution to a problem that only existed because you do not understand the dependencies on your system and ignored three attempts to help you figure them out. :roll: For starters you have it backwards: virtual/service-manager depends on sys-apps/openrc (as one option), not the other way around, as was explained above.

As a counter-example to your situation, my server is pure OpenRC:
Code:
$ eix -Ic */*service*
[I] virtual/service-manager (1@05/23/2021): Virtual for various service managers
$ eix -Ic */*openrc*
[I] sys-apps/openrc (0.42.1-r1@01/30/2021): OpenRC manages the services, startup and shutdown of a host
The tmpfiles virtual is satisfied by an OpenRC-style concrete implementation:
Code:
$ eix -Ic */*tmpfiles*
[I] virtual/tmpfiles (0-r1@12/04/2020): Virtual to select between different tmpfiles.d handlers
[I] sys-apps/opentmpfiles (0.2@02/14/2019): A standalone utility to process systemd-style tmpfiles.d files
Found 2 matches
No systemd cruft here:
Code:
$ eix -Ic */*systemd*
No matches found

systemd-tmpfiles ended up on your machine because you installed a package or set a USE flag that depends on it. If you back out your customized ebuild and revert to the original, we can help you figure out how that happened and how to prevent it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: