Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] AMDGPU & KVM-switch: Disable automatic desktop …
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lagalopex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: AMDGPU & KVM-switch: Disable automatic desktop rearrange Reply with quote

Hello!

I have a dualhead system with a nvidia video card. The monitors are attached by a KVM-switch. When switching the source of the KVM-switch or switching off the monitors, the arrangement of the desktops and the windows on it are preserved.

Now I have another system with an amdgpu (renoir), which works fine, except for one inconvenience:
Everytime the monitors are switched off or connected to another source, all windows are shifted to one monitor. When the monitors are switched back on, the first few moments even the wrong desktop (symbols and control bars) is shown on one monitor.
I already tried different configurations:
- Adapted the nvidia config.
- Used no xorg.conf or the "autogenerated" one. (Which swapped the left/right monitor, but did not solve the problem.)
- I used the "Virtual" in the Display subsection.
- I already tried a one "Screen"/"Device" config and a two "Screen"/"Device" config.

Looking in the Xorg.0.log, the configs seem to be used.

At the time of reconnecting I see, besides some more lines:
Code:
Allocate new frame buffer 1920x1080
Allocate new frame buffer 3840x1080

I thought that using the "Virtual" setting it should always have the configured size, regardless of connected monitors?

Any further ideas or hints are highly appreciated!

Thank you.

Last edited by lagalopex on Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which desktop are you using, might be as simple as disabling the "display manager backend" after login.
It may behave if you force the "missing screen" into existence when it's missing, but it's less than ideal as you'd have to do it each time you log in.

There are other ways round it, but depends on what you are doing as to whether or not they are viable.
lagalopex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the answer, I am currently using KDE/plasma.

The pc is started with two displays: Login, start programs, ... . Then the two displays are switched to another pc. When both are switched back, all windows are shifted to one monitor, although the desktops are correctly restored after a second.

Do you have more infomation to "disable the display manager backend" or "force the missing screen into existence"?

When I first switch to console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), then switch KVM, ..., switch back KVM and switch back to desktop: All windows are kept on the correct monitor.
lagalopex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I further investigated and I finally I found that kscreen2 is doing the buggy magic. Disabling it in the servives keeps the desktop and their windows in place.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: