HDD standby (hdparm/hd-idle) not working after kernel 5.4.72
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inscil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: HDD standby (hdparm/hd-idle) not working after kernel 5.4.72 Reply with quote

Hello,

on my main system (up-to-date gentoo), I use hd-idle to send my HDDs to standby after a certain amount of time.

Up to kernel version 5.4.72 this worked perfectly fine. However, if I use any kernel greater than 5.4.* the disks stay up perpetually. To be more precise, I tried with versions 5.6.4, 5.7.6, 5.8.14, 5.11.6 and 5.12.8. Same for hdparm. I think something is accessing the disks (I checked with a command I cannot recall right now).

To be clear, if I boot with 5.4.72, everything works as expected. If, on the same system without any changes, I boot into a later kernel - no standby.

For context: I use my system as desktop and NAS simultaneously. The disks which are rarely accessed are sent to sleep quickly and the ones accessed more frequently have a longer timeout. Depending on the active/standby state, I then send the whole system to sleep. Disks are SATA HDDs in non-RAID operation - 4xHGST, 1xWDC, 1xSamsung - same behavior for all.

Help would be much appreciated.
cbxd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

This topic is from last year but I guess it is still relevant today.
I tried version 1.05-r1 of hd-idle which is in Gentoo's repos. Unfortunately, it does not work as an openrc service setting up the idle time in the config file. However it does work from command line.

Searching the web, I found that version 1.05 has been superseeded by another which does work fine, available here: https://github.com/adelolmo/hd-idle
That version is numbered 1.16 and is from a different guy. This version of hd-idle is available and works great in Alpine Linux, which I use on another computer.
The instructions shown on the hd-idle github page is mainly for systemd, but it does work with openrc without issues after adjusting the config files. Basically I use the same config file as the 1.05 version.

Maybe the gentoo repo should be updated with the latest version?

Regards,
Chris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: