Quick Search: in
Large performance regression from Firefox-88 to Firefox-89
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject: Large performance regression from Firefox-88 to Firefox-89 Reply with quote

Hello,

I finally had to just downgrade to firefox-88.0.1 from firefox-89.0 because the graphic performance was terrible. Before filing a bug for it, I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced problems. I have a rather old (legacy) nvidia GPU (running the 390.x branch), and going to Firefox 89 caused extremely slow and choppy scrolling as well as some other noticeable lag when browsing (especially with multiple tabs). I was able to fix the performance problem by enabling webrender ('glx.webrender.all' in about:config), but then I had full system locks and had no choice but to reboot.

Has anyone else experienced performance regressions with Firefox 89?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a laptop with GT218M, do not use it often, do not upgrade it often. Just fired it up and it is going to be a long upgrade, perhaps tomorrow I can tell what it does with latest FF. I'm using nouveau, though, did not see any benefits using proprietary driver with it.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Maybe I should consider switching to nouveau as well. I don't know that the proprietary drivers do me any good either. Hopefully I'll be able to build a new workstation soon, and I can say goodbye to nvidia permanently. :)
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathanZachary wrote:
Thanks! Maybe I should consider switching to nouveau as well. I don't know that the proprietary drivers do me any good either. Hopefully I'll be able to build a new workstation soon, and I can say goodbye to nvidia permanently. :)
Doubt nouveau would help anything (especially given its tendency to keep cards in low power state) assuming current drivers are working normally, about only reason to use nouveau is one of 1. wayland 2. card no longer supported by nvidia 3. indifferent about performance (just want a display). 4. hating proprietary closed-source drivers

Not that I tried 89 yet myself, wasn't in a hurry given I don't want to mess with the UI changes till I have more time (I'll probably wait for 89.0.1).

Last edited by Ionen on Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
Not that I tried 89 yet myself, wasn't in a hurry given I don't want to mess with the UI changes till I have more time (I'll probably wait for 89.0.1).

UI changes didn't appear obvious within my simple use case, beside the current gcc-11 issue I guess you're aware of.
Looking forward for the next gcc-11 cut.

Besides, using nighttab plugin for a while now, backuped data had to be manually reloaded at start here.
This is now history. fulfilling my low standard expectation.
Could be due to plugin update more that FF upgrade, though.

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.

Last edited by CaptainBlood on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Nreal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: firefox-bin there seems to be hwaccel enabled Reply with quote

Hi

Latest firefox-bin-89 doesn´t work with my nvidia card as hwaccel use flag makes it totally useless.

With hwaccel use flag everything is rendered wrong, it has been like that many years.

So I wish it will be removed from the bin version.

-Markus
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the problem similar to this thread?
If yes it seems a firefox bug.
Nreal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have geforce 970 and firefox gets useless with hwaccell use flag enabled. I guess they have enabled that useflag with latest firefox-bin as I had to downgrade it and lost all tabs.. hwaccell has newer worked with my nvidia cards, i have 3 installed 660, 970, 1070.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nreal wrote:
I have geforce 970 and firefox gets useless with hwaccell use flag enabled. I guess they have enabled that useflag with latest firefox-bin as I had to downgrade it and lost all tabs.. hwaccell has newer worked with my nvidia cards, i have 3 installed 660, 970, 1070.
Hm, gave firefox-bin-89.0 quick try after all with my 1070+465.31 drivers and performance seems normal out of the box (still fine if I disable hwaccel in preferences too).

I guess there's something else needed to trigger this behavior.
Nreal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
Nreal wrote:
Hm, gave firefox-bin-89.0 quick try after all with my 1070+465.31 drivers and performance seems normal out of the box (still fine if I disable hwaccel in preferences too).

I guess there's something else needed to trigger this behavior.

It has been many years like this, it works with -hwaccel and does not when its enabled. Not sure what else it could be as it is as simple as that.
Could it be some xorg setting or window manager setting then that is causing firefox hwaccel to turn unusable?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem here with nouveau. I use nouveau because then I do not have to worry about kernel upgrades, and as I mentioned earlier, proprietary driver has no advantage in my use case.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here with AMDGPU.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback so far! Going back to Firefox 88 has mostly fixed the problem. I would love to enable GPU acceleration (via webrender), but I can't have it crash the system regularly (and I don't foresee that being fixed any time soon). Without webrender, Firefox 89 is still unusable for me. I may just wait and try it again in a later release.
JustAnother
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite on topic but...

Currently I have Firefox 88 bin.

About one or two versions ago (frequent upgrades -- to many to memorize) firefox starting crashing new tabs, just saying the tab had crashed. Firefox gives no useful information as to the nature of the crash. Huh? Isn't that bad design? Why not tell people as much as possible as opposed to nothing?

At first I could start firefox up in Wayland mode and the crashes seemed to stop.

Then, possibly after another upgrade of the week, Firefox now crashes in both X mode and Wayland mode.

Me thinks the ship of Firefox is taking on a little water...
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you need to archive your old profile and try fresh, creating a new profile. Often enough, the profile contains enough cruft to cause Firefox to have serious issues.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, but I can't be sure it was actually the upgrade to firefox 89 that did it, it feels like it was a problem for a short while before that too.

Anyway, I have a fairly new-ish Nvidia GPU (GTX 1080), so your old GPU is probably not the problem.

Video is choppy if I even just scroll in a separate window, YouTube seems unable to detect whatever it needs to stream automatically above 360p, need to manually change it. Very annoying.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread kind of like this in the MX-Linux forums. Prima facia evidence that there is an issue with some of the closed source Nvidia modules.
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/89.0/releasenotes/ wrote:
WebRender is now enabled on Linux with the NVIDIA binary driver and on all desktop environments

Mozilla tracker for this, maybe? https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1535716
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnvidr wrote:
Interesting...
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/89.0/releasenotes/ wrote:
WebRender is now enabled on Linux with the NVIDIA binary driver and on all desktop environments

One of my laptops has NVIDIA Optimus hardware and I have nvidia-drivers 460.67 installed. glx.webrender.all is enabled in about:config. Unfortunately Firefox falls back to Software WebRender only:

Code:
$ __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD_PROVIDER=NVIDIA-G0 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 firefox
Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: Failed GL context creation for WebRender: 0 (t=1.95228) [GFX1-]: Failed GL context creation for WebRender: 0
Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: Failed GL context creation for WebRender: 0 (t=1.95228) |[1][GFX1-]: FEATURE_FAILURE_WEBRENDER_INITIALIZE_UNSPECIFIED (t=1.95238) [GFX1-]: FEATURE_FAILURE_WEBRENDER_INITIALIZE_UNSPECIFIED
Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: Failed GL context creation for WebRender: 0 (t=1.95228) |[1][GFX1-]: FEATURE_FAILURE_WEBRENDER_INITIALIZE_UNSPECIFIED (t=1.95238) |[2][GFX1-]: Failed to connect WebRenderBridgeChild. (t=1.9526) [GFX1-]: Failed to connect WebRenderBridgeChild.
Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: Failed GL context creation for WebRender: 0 (t=1.95228) |[1][GFX1-]: FEATURE_FAILURE_WEBRENDER_INITIALIZE_UNSPECIFIED (t=1.95238) |[2][GFX1-]: Failed to connect WebRenderBridgeChild. (t=1.9526) |[3][GFX1-]: Fallback WR to SW-WR (t=1.95292) [GFX1-]: Fallback WR to SW-WR

** (/usr/lib64/firefox/firefox:8704): WARNING **: 02:02:01.141: Unable to connect to dbus: Could not connect: Connection refused

** (/usr/lib64/firefox/firefox:8775): WARNING **: 02:02:02.186: Unable to connect to dbus: Could not connect: Connection refused

** (/usr/lib64/firefox/firefox:8823): WARNING **: 02:02:03.151: Unable to connect to dbus: Could not connect: Connection refused

** (/usr/lib64/firefox/firefox:8882): WARNING **: 02:02:05.354: Unable to connect to dbus: Could not connect: Connection refused

** (/usr/lib64/firefox/firefox:9108): WARNING **: 02:03:01.681: Unable to connect to dbus: Could not connect: Connection refused

** (/usr/lib64/firefox/firefox:15635): WARNING **: 02:32:40.566: Unable to connect to dbus: Could not connect: Connection refused

about:support shows that the NVIDIA GPU is definitely being used:

Quote:
GPU #1
Active Yes
Description GeForce GTX 860M/PCIe/SSE2
Vendor ID 0x10de
Device ID 0x1392
Driver Vendor nvidia/unknown
Driver Version 460.67.0.0
RAM 0

Oh well, at least Firefox 89.0 video and graphics work OK.

EDIT 1: Google Chrome Version 91.0.4472.77 is no better, according to about:gpu:

Code:
$ __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD_PROVIDER=NVIDIA-G0 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia google-chrome-stable
[21467:21467:0608/025348.272103:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(440)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is swiftshader

Quote:
Problems Detected
Gpu compositing has been disabled, either via blocklist, about:flags or the command line. The browser will fall back to software compositing and hardware acceleration will be unavailable.
Disabled Features: gpu_compositing
Accelerated video decode has been disabled, either via blocklist, about:flags or the command line.
Disabled Features: video_decode

EDIT 2: The Firefox 89.0 regression does not just occur with NVIDIA GPUs, though. I have just checked my family's old desktop machine with Intel HD Graphics 2500 (Ivy Bridge GT1) which runs Lubuntu, and video performance in Firefox 89.0 showed a few artefacts looking like a staircase inside the purple title bar at the top of threads in this forum. I turned off hardware acceleration in Firefox's settings, restarted Firefox and the artefacts disappeared.

EDIT 3: The following are relevant:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1714069

https://support.mozilla.org/da/questions/1339109

Fitzcarraldo's blog
ebuc99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: maybe a solution for this problem Reply with quote

I have the same problem with firefox 89.
But i found a solution that works for me:
1. open terminal
2. > export LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1
3. > firefox-bin

When i start firefox this way it seems to work more stable. I have no freeze or graphic glitches and it have the same performance like 88 and before.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had hoped that the bugs fixed in 89.0.2 would fix the performance regressions for me, but alas, it still performed horribly compared to 88.x. After spending some time looking at settings and such, I restarted Firefox in "Troubleshoot Mode" (Menu --> Help --> Troubleshoot Mode) and found that the performance was at least better in terms of scrolling, opening new tabs, et cetera. The only thing that I could find that was noticeably different in about:support is that under the "Graphics" heading, "Compositing" was set to "Basic" instead of "WebRender (software)". The only way that I could find to get these same settings when in normal mode was to go to about:config and set "gfx.webrender.force-disabled" to "true".

Clearly this is not an ideal workaround, but at least I am able to browse. Before making this change, scrolling, opening new tabs, and other basic operations were so sluggish that the browser was essentially unresponsive.
Whissi
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/a2eaaaf41bc8 landed in our 89+ patch set. Still present in today's 90 patch set.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for letting me know. I'm using X (not Wayland), so I'm not sure that it applies to my particular situation, but it's still good to know.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to remove your Firefox profile and starting it fresh? No issues here.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, but it didn't help with the performance. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: