View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: [solved] Firefox 89 (CSD) not handled by fluxbox Reply with quote

In firefox-89, there seem to have been an update of the window decorations: there are none. In fluxbox, firefox appears topleft corner in some standard size, and there is no way to resize or move the window (other than the fullcreen mode). It also gets "On front" but does not get keyboard focus when any other window is present on the virtual desktop. Pretty annoying.

I noticed something similar recently with kde-apps/kruler and the splashcreen of media-gfx/librecad, so I thought a qt update messed some windows lacking decorations (like splashcreens) and it was not really a big problem. Now with firefox, it's another level.

I tried:

fluxbox is forever, I would hate to move away from firefox… thanks for any help.

Last edited by ecko on Mon May 31, 2021 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now tried: started plasma, killed X, tried openbox and also rebooted. It now works with fluxbox, and I changed nothing.

Amazing part, kruler and librecad also behave well, which they had not done in months (obviously I rebooted many times in the meantime). Maybe starting plasma forced it to write some config files in kde or qt configs.

Side-effect: x11-terms/tilda now does not recognize media-fonts/terminus-font (but konsole still does).
dbtx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecko wrote:
Side-effect: x11-terms/tilda now does not recognize media-fonts/terminus-font (but konsole still does).

tilda uses VTE thus GTK and pango for text... and pango abandoned bitmap font support by removing freetype in favor of harfbuzz. (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1135167.html) Terminus-TTF might be fine but I didn't try it-- I just switched to alacritty for now.

edit: I'm sorry, it wasn't 'removed', but it lost some responsibilities:
https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2019/05/25/pango-future-directions/
Quote:
stop using freetype for font loading or accessing font and glyph metrics

Last edited by dbtx on Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbtx wrote:
and pango abandoned bitmap font support by removing freetype in favor of harfbuzz.

Thanks, indeed my system updated pango yesterday, that explains it. I will try your suggestions.

Meanwhile I figured my window decoration problem is connected to uptime, it starts happening after an hour and half of X and is solved (for another hour and half) by restarting X, or a hot restart using the fluxbox right-click menu (even corrects the opened window that behaved weird). I will continue to try pinpoint what causes it. I leave it as solved because restarting fluxbox is a workaround.

edit: A hot restart of fluxbox works, one does not need to restart X.
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbtx wrote:
ecko wrote:

tilda uses VTE thus GTK and pango for text... and pango abandoned bitmap font support by removing freetype in favor of harfbuzz. (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1135167.html) Terminus-TTF might be fine but I didn't try it-- I just switched to alacritty for now.

Code:
USE="otf" emerge terminus-font
and restarting x11-term/tilda was enough, tilda (through harfbuzz) found the otf version of terminus-font, and it looks the same on screen.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since stabilization of firefox-91.3.0 I am now hit by the same problem (also mentioned on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1714353) without using x11-term/tilda or media-fonts/terminus-font.
However the solutions described above are not clear to me. Could someone please shed some more light on it?

Thanks
dbtx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
However the solutions described above are not clear to me. Could someone please shed some more light on it?

A lot of that was semi-OT, regarding an unrelated symptom that happened to appear at the same time. You probably want to try gtk3-nocsd. It seems GTK3 and/or FF are at some point failing to recognize or remember that Fluxbox has nothing at all to do with CSDs and header bars, and failing to failover to more traditional window management. tld describes getting it to work, over in firefox-bin-91 No window controls and can't drag [SOLVED].
CrankyPenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encountered the same issue. I addressed it in part in this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8675268.html#8675268 though that was a localized patch.
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
Since stabilization of firefox-91.3.0 I am now hit by the same problem
[...]
However the solutions described above are not clear to me.

When the problem happens, you do: (right click)/Fluxbox menu/Restart. (Make sure to select Restart not Exit.) It redraws all decorations and fixes the problem until next time. If you don't have a Restart option in your fluxbox menu, edit ~/.fluxbox/menu and add a line "[restart] (Restart)".

People comment that you can fix it for good in firefox in about:config by setting gfx.webrender.all=false and gfx.webrender.force-disabled=true. However, this will only fix for firefox. In my case I also have the problem with kde-apps/kruler and the splashscreen of media-gfx/librecad so I still have to restart fluxbox sometimes.

It had nothing to do with tilda or some fonts, iI got confused because tilda updated the same day as firefox.
joanandk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecko wrote:
When the problem happens, you do: (right click)/Fluxbox menu/Restart.

Thanks, this helped at least once.

BR
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: solved in fluxbox git Reply with quote

According to my limited testing, the problem is solved in fluxbox git. Unfortunately it is not packaged by gentoo.

Code:
git clone https://github.com/fluxbox/fluxbox.git
cd fluxbox
autoupdate
./autogen.sh
./configure
make -j8

I did not want to overwrite my fluxbox install so I just copied the executables to /usr/local (which gets priority over /usr):

Code:
cp fbrun fbsetroot fluxbox fluxbox-remote fluxbox-update_configs /usr/local/bin

After restarting X, I checked that the fluxbox executable running is now the local one:

Code:
readlink /proc/`pgrep fluxbox`/exe
/usr/local/bin/fluxbox

fluxbox-git also corrects the bug where some tray icons disappear after suspend. However, I now have a bug where x11-terms/tilda does not get focus (tilda unusable).
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running into this as well, and figured I'd add some details. I originally started this thread about it:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1141870-highlight-.html

It's worth noting that installing gtk3-nocsd from my local overlay didn't help this noticeably, and fluxbox still occasionally lost window decorations. It appears that ecko is probably correct as to this being corrected in the fluxbox git, and this is the bug:

https://sourceforge.net/p/fluxbox/bugs/1111

If I read that correctly that's supposed to be in a future 1.3.8 release. It's pretty disappointing that that resolution is over 5 years old and that their releases have such a glacial pace. I don't imagine patching 1.3.7 for this would be feasible.

This one didn't bother me as much at first because I primarily use palemoon and not firefox...though I have firebox-bin installed for the rare cases that I need it. However I also need to use Thunderbird, primarily for my work email (because of everyone's Godless HTML emails)...otherwise I'd be using something like claws mail. Since my update to thunderbird 91.3.1 this crap has become an issue for that as well. In my case when this happens, attempting the fluxbox restart hard crashes X completely too...really ugly.

Totally sucks. To be clear, while I wish their versions came out quicker, I don't fault fluxbox for this at all. I fault the GTK CSD that nobody wants. I don't choose a theme so they can override it and "make all GTK apps look the same" to protect their "brand" (yes, they actually use that term in the open source world)...but I won't get started on that rant.

Tom
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
I don't imagine patching 1.3.7 for this would be feasible.

But but but… it works in fluxbox git version. It is apprently solved in git for 4 years, just not released into a packaged version. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1977937#p1977937

If someone would make a fluxbox-9999 ebuild, or cherry pick the patch for a fluxbox-1.3.7-r5, it would solve it in gentoo.
By playing with `xwininfo` I could confirm it only happens with 32 bit depth windows (24 bit windows are not affected), so it should be easy to find which patch is involved. I can bissect if you would like to identify exactly which patch solves the issue.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecko wrote:
I can bissect if you would like to identify exactly which patch solves the issue.
If you or anyone can figure out the patch for this for 1.3.7 that would be awesome! If not, it hasn't actually been an issue for me too often luckily. I don't use git much and that's a little beyond my expertise. I wasn't nuts about the idea of running the current git version.
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look for the which patch it is. It might take a week or two of testing. The buggy versions are easy to find (bug shows up in 1-2 hours), but the "good" ones means working with it a full day to make sure it really is good. Plus restarting X is something I normally postpone as much as I can.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecko wrote:
I will look for the which patch it is. It might take a week or two of testing. The buggy versions are easy to find (bug shows up in 1-2 hours), but the "good" ones means working with it a full day to make sure it really is good. Plus restarting X is something I normally postpone as much as I can.
That would be awesome. Thanks for all the effort!

Tom
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than hunt down that patch, perhaps it would be better to validate a specific recent commit as stable, and then push upstream to declare that commit as a released version? That would let it get added to the Gentoo tree, where everyone could pick it up readily.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Rather than hunt down that patch, perhaps it would be better to validate a specific recent commit as stable, and then push upstream to declare that commit as a released version? That would let it get added to the Gentoo tree, where everyone could pick it up readily.
That's possibly a good idea, though I'm not sure what version that would even use. It appears that a lot of what's in the current git is slated for 1.3.8 or even 1.4, neither of which are currently available as stable versions upstream.

Tom
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the commit that fixes the reported problem.

http://git.fluxbox.org/fluxbox.git/commit/?id=dcdde4d32c93d01df205bc06d7dfcbd356be031f

Code:

commit dcdde4d32c93d01df205bc06d7dfcbd356be031f
Author: Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking@gmail.com>
Date:   Sat Jun 25 22:25:48 2016 +0200

replace FbRootWindow::depth with maxDepth

The depth member of FbWindow was abused to store the maximum depth
    but that gets overridden with geometry changes of the root window
    (screen layout changes) so we store and read the value explicitly while
    ::depth() maintains the actual depth of the root window

The result of this is that frames for ARGB windows were created with a
    wrong depth and failed to reparent the client window.

BUG: 1102
    BUG: 1058

I found fluxbox git very stable. I am using git master on my main system for 3 weeks, and just encountered 1 regresion ("tilda" does not get focus), and one graphical bug in the taskbar during this bissection in old commits.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It'll be interesting to see how difficult that might be to apply to the current 1.3.7 version. I suppose that depends on how much master differs at this point.

Question...and I can't tell you how often I've run into this: Looking at the diff tab from that commit I can see a full unified diff here:

http://git.fluxbox.org/fluxbox.git/diff/?id=dcdde4d32c93d01df205bc06d7dfcbd356be031f&context=3&ignorews=0&dt=0

...but no way to download it as a raw diff. Am i missing something there? Thanks for all this effort!

EDIT: Actually it appears I can copy/paste from that page to get that raw diff.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. That patch from above at least applied as-is to the current x11-wm/fluxbox-1.3.7-r4. I just recompiled with that and will see how it goes! Thanks again for this!

Tom
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not obvious (I had to find this via an old StackOverflow post), it is supported. Edit the URL as such: s/diff/raw&/ ; for your example commit:

http://git.fluxbox.org/fluxbox.git/rawdiff/?id=dcdde4d32c93d01df205bc06d7dfcbd356be031f
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fluxbox git version ebuild (last year)

https://bugs.gentoo.org/749258
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Although not obvious (I had to find this via an old StackOverflow post), it is supported. Edit the URL as such: s/diff/raw&/ ; for your example commit:

http://git.fluxbox.org/fluxbox.git/rawdiff/?id=dcdde4d32c93d01df205bc06d7dfcbd356be031f
Interesting. Thanks for that! How very odd though...in Palemoon I get a blank page with that URL, but it works in FF. Beyond strange for something that's clearly just text(??).

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
How very odd though...in Palemoon I get a blank page with that URL, but it works in FF. Beyond strange for something that's clearly just text(??).
Even stranger: If I download that URL with wget I get a 0 length file as well. As I said above however, in the original link (with the "pretty" diff) I actually could highlight and copy the diff and it did in fact work with no unwanted cruft.

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: