Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to mask networkmanager (GenPi64 img)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mogsington
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: How to mask networkmanager (GenPi64 img) Reply with quote

Hi. I've tried every trick I can think of, but I can't figure out how to mask the networkmanager flag in the genpi64 profile.
Does anyone know how to do it?
If yes. How did you figure out how to do it? I've tried searching what seemed to be related profiles directories and I can't even see where it gets hard set to on (hence my troubles figuring out how to set it to off).
Thanks.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogsington,

Migrate off the genpi64 profile. Its no longer useful.

You can set -networkmanager in the USE flogs in make.conf

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Mogsington
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh! Thank you for the informative and fast reply. I'll give it a go. (Setting -networkmanager in make.conf has no effect in the genpi64 profile).
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogsington,

What do you want to achieve?

Lets discuss the problem rather that your perceived solution.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Mogsington
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Basically I installed GenPi64 using the "latest" image from https://github.com/GenPi64/gentoo-on-rpi-64bit a couple of weeks ago. I've just got around to tweaking the system / trying to get it set up how I'd like it.
I never use NetworkManager (I prefer handling VPN connections myself and don't want it interfering). So I'm trying to mask the networkmanager flag to "pop" it out of the system when nothing depends on it with a --depclean.
So far I've had zero success, but I was trying with the default GenPi64 profile that came with the image install. Now I've switched to "default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop/plasma", and at the moment I'm cleaning up the resulting flag changes etc. But I have noticed that networkmanager still seems to be set for all packages (USE includes -networkmanager in /etc/portage/make.conf, yes I know that should be migrated to a different file for the new /etc/portage layout, but afaik should still work where it is for now).

Edit: Using "-uDNav --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=100 --autounmask-keep-masks=y" to my cleanups has indeed got the -networkmanager to take. Basically I was being an idiot and using "changed use" instead of "new use". Ooops. Live and learn. My problem now is that "default/linux/arm64/17.0/desktop/plasma" is a downgrade from the GenPi64 profile, so I guess I either have to set perl to testing to keep it the same version, or try my luck at downgrading perl.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogsington,

/etc/portage/make.conf is fine for your global settings.
If you want per package settinings USE flags go in /etc/portage/make.conf/package.use.

Your profile sets your default USE flags.
make.conf overrides the profile.
/etc/portage/make.conf/package.use changes the profile and make.conf settings.

For completness
Code:
USE="...." emerge ...
trumps everything else. Only use that for testing, with --pretend or breaking circular dependencies as portage won't remember it and it will drop out next emerge.

The following packages depend on networkmanager
Code:
$ equery d networkmanager
 * These packages depend on networkmanager:
dev-qt/qtnetwork-5.15.2-r1 (networkmanager ? net-misc/networkmanager)
mail-client/thunderbird-78.10.1 (kernel_linux ? net-misc/networkmanager)
net-libs/libproxy-0.4.17 (networkmanager ? net-misc/networkmanager)
net-vpn/strongswan-5.9.2 (networkmanager ? net-misc/networkmanager)
net-wireless/blueman-2.1.4 (>=net-misc/networkmanager-0.8)
www-client/firefox-88.0.1 (kernel_linux ? net-misc/networkmanager)

Its optional for everything except net-wireless/blueman. Now we come to a wrinkle.
If net-wireless/blueman is installed, you will have net-misc/networkmanager too.
If USE=-networkmanager is set, all the packages that have it as a USE flag will be build without networkmanager support.

To remove net-misc/networkmanager, you must also remove net-wireless/blueman.

Code:
emerge -ca net-wireless/blueman
will do that or tell you why it can't.

I know nothing of GenPi64/gentoo-on-rpi-64bit, except thats its not Sakaki's any more. You shouldn't need it.
When Sakaki stepped down, much of her work found its way into the ::gentoo repo.
The packages in my fork of Sakaki's github repo are all the packages I know of that are not in ::gentoo now.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Mogsington
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

Thanks for the reply. Much of the portage related info I knew. My problem was using other distros for a few years then coming back to Gentoo. I thought I'd got it going fine, but missing the difference between and when to use changed-use and new-use with emerge tripped me up. Sometimes thinking you know what you are doing can be worse than being sure you don't know what you're doing.

I did indeed back off swapping to Gentoo only overlays when I realised it didn't seem to have any of the Pi specific firmware / packages in it. So I'm still on the https://github.com/GenPi64/gentoo-on-rpi-64bit fork, which I thought was the semi-official fork of sakaki's work. I'm a little conflicted now between sticking with that fork (edited 23 days ago), or switching to the profile in your own work at https://github.com/NeddySeagoon/genpi64-overlay. It seems both allow Gentoo to work on the Pi4, but yours is probably closer to vanilla Gentoo.

It's a shame getting Aarch64 working (without systemd) is a bit of a distro minefield at the moment. There aren't many options out there and efforts seem to get fragmented. (Slackware had an unofficial attempt at it, but that dev has stepped aside and at the moment it doesn't seem supported). I had no idea your fork of sakaki's work existed until now, and I thought I'd done quite a good job of tracking the unofficial changes to find the fork that I did. I appreciate your efforts and help though, and at least the Pi is running.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogsington,

The only purpose of my fork was to work on getting stuff into ::gentoo.
It's not been touched since January. The profile there has had minimal work.

Use the Gentoo /17.0/ profile of your choice and cherry pick from overlays.
If you find that ::gentoo is not up to date, file bump request bugs.
Zero day bump requests don't go down well.

You can install a whole ovorlay, mask it all it package.mask, then unmask just the packages you want.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: