fast x11 forwarding between vm and host
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: fast x11 forwarding between vm and host Reply with quote

Greetings,

I have gentoo vm running atop of windows 10 (vmware station), there is a specific program I want to run in vm but in the window outside of the viewer.
the best way to do that is with afaik is to open minimal xserver on the host and run the program using x11 forwarding,
but I know the performance is not good.

any hints on how improve performance?
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can highly recommend X2Go. It needs a server and a client program (both in portage, search for x2go) and will use SSH for transport. It compresses the X traffic, but the application itself (the application you wish to run) doesn't notice a difference between X2go or regular X forwarding.
I was using X forwarding with Firefox redirected via a VPN over my DSL line, and it was slow ans sluggish. Recently someone showed X2go to me and i gave it a try, and Firefox is much more responsive now and network traffic has gone down a lot.

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik, x2go is a fully blown vnc replacement.for that I'll can use vnc.
I'm not sure that x11 forwarding will be sluggish when there is no outside network involved.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
I'm not sure that x11 forwarding will be sluggish when there is no outside network involved.
I've used localhost-only uncompressed/unencrypted (unsecure) tcp x11 forwarding with qemu[vhost-net] myself, and I can even play 120fps full screen videos with no noticeable lag, firefox works good too and not even noticeable it's being forwarded.

No idea how that'd go with vmware though (the bandwidth usage is pretty nice). In my case I did linux(host)->win10(vm) rather than the other way around though (it's due to single-gpu passthrough and I want to display things from the host inside the VM).

Last edited by Ionen on Sat May 15, 2021 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
I've used localhost-only uncompressed/unencrypted (unsecure) tcp x11 forwarding with qemu[vhost-net] myself, and I can even play 120fps full screen videos with no noticeable lag, firefox works good too and not even noticeable it's being forwarded.

No idea how that'd go with vmware though (the bandwidth usage is pretty nice). In my case I did linux->win10 rather than the other way around though (it's due to single-gpu passthrough and I want to display things from the host inside the VM).

what did you do to configure uncompressed/unencrypted (unsecure) tcp x11?
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
what did you do to configure uncompressed/unencrypted (unsecure) tcp x11?
Assuming the X server has support (be wary of win10 firewall too), you'd use a DISPLAY="hostname:0" to make the window appear on the remote X :0 server started with -listen tcp on that host (that's normally always disabled given ssh forwarding with unix sockets is more sane, use at own risks and keep it local).

Edit:
Aside from that the usual xhost/xauth stuff applies for permissions, or the bad X -ac option to disable entirely.
Unsure if you already have a X server on win10, I use cygwin's myself which works with -listen tcp, can use it to display full screen full on with a remote window manager if I want.

If in doubt, just use ssh forwarding though.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of using x11 ssh forwarding but I don't think In need the encryption and compression.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to use xpra. It runs a headless X server to which you connect your usual X11 clients (browser, mail, etc.). You then run the xpra client to create windows on the client's display that are individual forwards of the windows on the headless X server. I've used it for Linux(H)+Linux(G) and been happy with it. I have seen that xpra has a Windows client, but I've never used it. Since the windows are forwarded individually, you can move them around on the client using native window management operations, bury one below another, stack them between your local windows, etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: