View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Thunderbird won't open Firefox links Reply with quote

It opens them in Chrome with no problems, but refuses to launch email links in Firefox. The only workaround I've found is to have a Firefox window already open...in which case the links in Thunderbird work perfectly.

What's going on here? I can't figure out what it is about having Firefox running already that's making the Thunderbird links work.

[edit] Tried MOZ_NO_REMOTE=0 but that does nothing

[edit2] Removed bit about GTK theme as that was a red herring

[edit3] By replacing the direct call of /usr/bin/firefox with a /usr/local/bin/firefox script and making that simply echo $@ > foo I can see that thunderbird *is* sending the link to firefox as expected... and if I simply type "firefox www.nameoflink.com" it opens just fine from the shell...so why the heck doesn't it work when it's called from thunderbird?!?!

[edit4] It's not a corrupted Thunderbird profile as I've started from scratch and this is still happening. Now I'm wondering if it's a Gentoo bug with thunderbird-bin so am building thunderbird from source

[edit5] Yep, that did the trick. Looks like something in thunderbird-bin was broken...the version built against my own libraries opens the links at last. Maybe someone can confirm they have the same issue with the current thunderbird-bin...if so I'll file the bug report.
dbtx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe related: https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comments/n21r8a/email_hyperlinks_wont_load_in_waterfox/
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Yes, probably. That could be useful to know: if I get sick of rebuilding thunderbird with every update I might have another go with thunderbird-bin and see if some dbus magic can solve the issue. Thanks for this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: