View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Do not compile gcc-11 w/ -fvisibility-inlines-hidden Reply with quote

Hi,

this is just a heads-up: After emerging gcc-11.1.0 switching to that gcc and re-emerging libtools, I had a lot of trouble. For instance, firefox segfaulted, sddm did not come up. A re-emerge of sddm failed (independent of the gcc version) with
Code:
/usr/lib64/qt5/bin/lrelease: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libQt5Core.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZNSt15__exception_ptreqERKNS_13exception_ptrES2_, version CXXABI_1.3.3

Note that these problems happened before I used the new gcc to compile anything. Moreover, also reverting to my previously used gcc-10.3.0 as the system compiler did not fix anything.

The solution was: Reemerge qtcore with gcc-11.1.0.

My conjecture: independent of the selected gcc, some library of the new gcc-11.1 is used which is not completely ABI compatible.

Last edited by mv on Tue May 04, 2021 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This could be interesting to edit the Wiki page (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_GCC) ;)
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so after gcc upgrade, we should rebuild the entire tree?
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rebuilt @system just in case.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaviermiller wrote:
This could be interesting to edit the Wiki page (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_GCC) ;)

I am not absolutely sure about the cause. Only that I do not see anything else which might have caused it is not a proof that my conjecture is right. It might also have been a side effect of something I currently cannot imagine. IMHO, this is not enough to modify the wiki but enough to give a heads-up.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I verified now on another machine:
Code:
lrelease -h

was working while emerging gcc in another window. When the emerge was ready, I got for the above command
Code:
/usr/lib64/qt5/bin/lrelease: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libQt5Core.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZNSt15__exception_ptreqERKNS_13exception_ptrES2_, version CXXABI_1.3.3

even before calling gcc-config for the new compiler.

Edit: The problem happened only on amd64, not on x86.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big meh if this turns out to be true.

That said:
Code:
$ emerge --info | head -n1
Portage 3.0.18 (python 3.9.4-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma, gcc-10.3.0, glibc-2.33, 5.11.13-gentoo x86_64)

$ equery l gcc
[IP-] [  ] sys-devel/gcc-10.3.0:10
[IP-] [  ] sys-devel/gcc-11.1.0:11

$ gcc-config -l
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-10.3.0 *
 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-11.1.0

$ /usr/lib64/qt5/bin/lrelease -h
Usage:
    lrelease [options] -project project-file

But, isn't this a weird subforum for this thread?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Big meh if this turns out to be true.

It might be related that gcc-11.1.0 is the first ebuild which can honour custom-cflags, and perhaps some of my flags change the ABI. I wouldn't have expected anything to happen, anyway, until I switch to the new compiler with gcc.
Quote:
But, isn't this a weird subforum for this thread?

Yes, feel free to move. I found no appropriate forum.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Code:

The symbol is defined in libstdc++, it seems to be part of the implementation of the type std::exception_ptr defined in <exception>. Is it different for GCC 11.1?

Code:
$ nm -DC libstdc++.so.6 | grep 'operator==.*exception_ptr'
00000000000d0530 T std::__exception_ptr::operator==(std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr const&, std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr const&)@@CXXABI_1.3.3

$ nm -D libstdc++.so.6 | grep d0530
00000000000d0530 T _ZNSt15__exception_ptreqERKNS_13exception_ptrES2_@@CXXABI_1.3.3
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
The symbol is defined in libstdc++, it seems to be part of the implementation of the type std::exception_ptr defined in <exception>. Is it different for GCC 11.1?

At least, in my case it is different:
Code:
% nm -DC /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.3.0/libstdc++.so.6 | grep 'operator==.*exception_ptr'
00000000000d8400 T std::__exception_ptr::operator==(std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr const&, std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr const&)@@CXXABI_1.3.3
% nm -DC /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/11.1.0/libstdc++.so.6 | grep 'operator==.*exception_ptr'
% # (no output)
% nm -DC /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/11.1.0/libstdc++.so.6 | grep 'exception_ptr'         
00000000000d59b0 T std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::__cxa_exception_type() const@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d5990 T std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::operator void (std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::*)()() const@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d5980 T std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::operator!() const@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d58a0 T std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::_M_release()@@CXXABI_1.3.13
00000000000d5830 W std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::swap(std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr&)@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d5880 T std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::_M_addref()@@CXXABI_1.3.13
00000000000d5870 T std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::exception_ptr(void (std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::*)())@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d5850 T std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::exception_ptr(void*)@@CXXABI_1.3.11
00000000000d5810 W std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::exception_ptr(std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr const&)@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d5800 W std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::exception_ptr()@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d5870 T std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::exception_ptr(void (std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::*)())@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d5810 W std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::exception_ptr(std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr const&)@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d5800 W std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::exception_ptr()@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d58f0 W std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::~exception_ptr()@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d58f0 W std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::~exception_ptr()@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d5910 W std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr::operator=(std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr const&)@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d5a30 T std::rethrow_exception(std::__exception_ptr::exception_ptr)@@CXXABI_1.3.3
00000000000d4aa0 T __cxa_get_exception_ptr@@CXXABI_1.3.1

Edit: The definition is conditional in gcc-11.1:
Code:

#if __cpp_impl_three_way_comparison >= 201907L \
      && ! defined _GLIBCXX_EH_PTR_RELOPS_COMPAT
      friend bool
      operator==(const exception_ptr&, const exception_ptr&) noexcept = default;
#else
      friend _GLIBCXX_EH_PTR_USED bool
      operator==(const exception_ptr& __x, const exception_ptr& __y)
      _GLIBCXX_USE_NOEXCEPT
      { return __x._M_exception_object == __y._M_exception_object; }

In 10.3.0 there is only the first branch, unconditionally. I assume that in 11.1 the second branch is chosen on my system which has an inline implmentation.

Anyway, what I do not understand is why the 11.1 library is chosen even if 10.3 is selected with gcc-config.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Edit: The definition is conditional in gcc-11.1:
Code:

#if __cpp_impl_three_way_comparison >= 201907L \
      && ! defined _GLIBCXX_EH_PTR_RELOPS_COMPAT
      friend bool
      operator==(const exception_ptr&, const exception_ptr&) noexcept = default;
#else
      friend _GLIBCXX_EH_PTR_USED bool
      operator==(const exception_ptr& __x, const exception_ptr& __y)
      _GLIBCXX_USE_NOEXCEPT
      { return __x._M_exception_object == __y._M_exception_object; }

In 10.3.0 there is only the first branch, unconditionally. I assume that in 11.1 the second branch is chosen on my system which has an inline implmentation.

That's libstdc++-v3/libsupc++/exception_ptr.h, right?

Interesting, but i don´t understand what happened. If I understand correctly, only the first branch could result in no symbol emitted for std::__exception_ptr::operator==(). File libstdc++-v3/libsupc++/eh_ptr.cc, which is used to generate the libstdc++ library, contains:
Code:
#include <bits/c++config.h>
// ...
#if ! _GLIBCXX_INLINE_VERSION
// This macro causes some inline functions in exception_ptr to be marked
// as "used" so that definitions will be emitted in this translation unit.
// We need this because those functions were not inline in previous releases.
#define _GLIBCXX_EH_PTR_RELOPS_COMPAT
#endif
// ...
#include <bits/exception_ptr.h>

So, the first branch in exception_ptr.h would be skipped if the value that _GLIBCXX_INLINE_VERSION expands to is 0. For me, <bits/c++config.h> contains:
Code:
#define _GLIBCXX_INLINE_VERSION 0

The equivalent file for 11.1.0 should be installed in /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/11.1.0/include/g++-v11/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bits, if I'm not mistaken. Does the value change?

mv wrote:
Anyway, what I do not understand is why the 11.1 library is chosen even if 10.3 is selected with gcc-config.

Neither do I. The file dropped by gcc-config in /etc/ld.so.conf.d should direct the dynamic linker to search for libstdc++ in /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.3.0.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:

No, it is bits/exception_ptr.h.
Quote:
only the first branch could result in no symbol emitted for std::__exception_ptr::operator==().

No; the second branch contains only inline functions, so it will not omit any symbol. The first branch requires that some .cc file omitted a symbol. I guess that's what happened somewhere else if that branch is reached.
Quote:
// We need this because those functions were not inline in previous releases.

So this seems to be an intended ABI breakage: If you define the *COMPAT symbol, you get an ABI compatible library, otherwise (probably the default or at least the codepath chosen on my systems for whatever reason) not.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
GDH-gentoo wrote:

No, it is bits/exception_ptr.h.

OK, it's the same file. libstdc++-v3/libsupc++/exception_ptr.h gets installed to /usr/lib/gcc/$CHOST/GCC version/include/g++*/bits.

mv wrote:
Quote:
only the first branch could result in no symbol emitted for std::__exception_ptr::operator==().

No; the second branch contains only inline functions, so it will not omit any symbol.
If I undertand correctly, _GLIBCXX_EH_PTR_USED expands to __attribute__((__used__)), and that GCC incantation should result in emitting the symbol even if the function is inline. I believe that's what the "[...] causes some inline functions in exception_ptr to be marked as "used" so that definitions will be emitted [...]" part of the comment in eh_ptr.cc means.

Quote:
The first branch requires that some .cc file omitted a symbol
Why? If I'm not mistaken, the first branch is already a definition, an explicitly-defaulted definition of std::__exception_ptr::operator==(). Which also makes it implicitly inline. And I believe that compilers might not necessarily generate code for a function call (and emit a symbol) when functions that are explicitly defaulted in their first declaration would be called.

mv wrote:
If you define the *COMPAT symbol, you get an ABI compatible library, [...]
IIUC, the *COMPAT macro will be defined if the value that _GLIBCXX_INLINE_VERSION (defined in <bits/c++config.h>) expands to is 0.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
If I undertand correctly, _GLIBCXX_EH_PTR_USED expands to __attribute__((__used__))

Oh, I missed that.
Quote:
the first branch is already a definition

Indeed, you are right, I missed the = default.
Quote:
IIUC, the *COMPAT macro will be defined if the value that _GLIBCXX_INLINE_VERSION (defined in <bits/c++config.h>) expands to is 0.

The installed headers do not define the *COMPAT macro (though _GLIBCXX_INLINE_VERSION is 0). Maybe for some reason the _GLIBCXX_INLINE_VERSION is not 0 when the library is compiled.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had to recompile llvm and lld. I will now recompile my whole system to be sure.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Recompile of quite a lot of packages fails. Linking continuously fails with the same error: The symbol
Quote:
std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_M_dispose()

is missing. Sample of failing package: app-crypt/gpgme (all versions).
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Recompile of quite a lot of packages fails. Linking continuously fails with the same error: The symbol
Quote:
std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_M_dispose()

is missing.

Runtime failure? Missing symbol in libstdc++ again?
Code:
$ nm -DC libstdc++.so.6 | grep 'string<char.*M_dispose'
0000000000170770 W std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_M_dispose()@@GLIBCXX_3.4.21
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:
mv wrote:
Recompile of quite a lot of packages fails. Linking continuously fails with the same error: The symbol
Quote:

is missing.

Runtime failure?

So far only a link-time failure.
Quote:
Missing symbol in libstdc++ again?
Code:
0000000000170770 W std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_M_dispose()@@GLIBCXX_3.4.21

No output here. Also in the header files it is this time clearly inlined; I could not see any constant involved which could change this. (Unless I missed again something...)

What worries me is that e.g. in gpgme it occurs in the main method - the corresponding .o file was just compiled with gcc-11.1, so it should have been inlined... Perhaps some implicit include which should have happened is missing.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Quote:
Missing symbol in libstdc++ again?
Code:

No output here. Also in the header files it is this time clearly inlined; I could not see any constant involved which could change this.

Strange again. File libstdc++-v3/src/c++11/string-inst.cc, which is also used to build libstdc++, contains an explicit instantiation definition for this particular specialization of std::basic_string<>.
Code:
#include <string>

// Instantiation configuration.
#ifndef C
# define C char
#endif

namespace std _GLIBCXX_VISIBILITY(default)
{
_GLIBCXX_BEGIN_NAMESPACE_VERSION
// ...
  template class basic_string<C>;
// ...
_GLIBCXX_END_NAMESPACE_VERSION
} // namespace

So I'd excpect a symbol for its _M_dispose() member function to be emitted. Then <bits/basic_string.tcc>, which is included in every source file that includes <string>, contains:
Code:
namespace std _GLIBCXX_VISIBILITY(default)
{
_GLIBCXX_BEGIN_NAMESPACE_VERSION
  // ...
  // Inhibit implicit instantiations for required instantiations,
  // which are defined via explicit instantiations elsewhere.
#if _GLIBCXX_EXTERN_TEMPLATE
  // The explicit instantiation definitions in src/c++11/string-inst.cc and
  // src/c++17/string-inst.cc only instantiate the members required for C++17
  // and earlier standards (so not C++20's starts_with and ends_with).
  // Suppress the explicit instantiation declarations for C++20, so C++20
  // code will implicitly instantiate std::string and std::wstring as needed.
# if __cplusplus <= 201703L && _GLIBCXX_EXTERN_TEMPLATE > 0
  extern template class basic_string<char>;
# elif ! _GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI
  // ...
# endif
  // ...
#endif // _GLIBCXX_EXTERN_TEMPLATE

_GLIBCXX_END_NAMESPACE_VERSION
} // namespace std

I'm not entirely sure what explicit instantiation declarations (i.e. those with extern template) are supposed to do, but that might direct the compiler to link to the instantiated member functions in libstdc++.

Also, <bits/c++config.h> contains in my case:
Code:
// Macro for extern template, ie controlling template linkage via use
// of extern keyword on template declaration. As documented in the g++
// manual, it inhibits all implicit instantiations and is used
// throughout the library to avoid multiple weak definitions for
// required types that are already explicitly instantiated in the
// library binary. This substantially reduces the binary size of
// resulting executables.
// ...
# define _GLIBCXX_EXTERN_TEMPLATE 1
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Kernel & Hardware to Portage & Programming.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After O(log 50) compilations of gcc for a binary search on my settings (*FLAGS, USE-flags, ccache, ...), I finally found the culprit:

-fvisibility-inlines-hidden

Once that I know it, it is perhaps not too surprising, but it was not my first candidate because:
  1. I wouldn't have expected that it overrides __attribute__((__used__))
  2. If it is indeed that aggressive that it even overrides __attribute__((__used__)), I would have expected to get a practically useless library and not one in which only 2 exotic symbols are missing.
In fact, I recompiled world with the (broken) gcc-11, and all packages failing due to the problem were
  1. gpgme
  2. advancemame
  3. ipe

The other package failures were unrelated and simply fixed by trivial patches. No runtime problems.
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

building packages with -fvisibility-inlines-hidden is very bad idea.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentleman wrote:
building packages with -fvisibility-inlines-hidden is very bad idea.

So far, I had to filter it only for 3 packages: ginac, octave, wxGTK. And now new of course >=gcc-11.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lastly, there's one other new command line switch: -fvisibility-inlines-hidden. This causes all inlined class member functions to have hidden visibility, causing significant export symbol table size & binary size reductions though not as much as using -fvisibility=hidden. However, -fvisibility-inlines-hidden can be used with no source alterations, unless you need to override it for inlines where address identity is important either for the function itself or any function local static data.

Hmm
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
ana ~ # grep CXXFLAGS /etc/portage/make.conf
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
Re-emerged toolchain, world and kernel with gcc-11.1. Rebooted and works. :roll: :o
Though, this is a headless box. :lol:

A well, surely I did not enable custom-cflags for glibc/gcc. Then you are in for a good ride, indeed. ha ha.

Last edited by geki on Tue May 04, 2021 7:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: