View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Wayfire: timed actions (screensaver, etc) do not activate Reply with quote

I am using wayfire and realize that a lot of actions which should happen automatically after some time, often do not.

Examples:
  1. Screensaver (in my case only configured as dpms) often never happens until I change the configuration in ~/.config/wayfire. (Conversely, also being in fullscreen mode is sometimes not recognized, and the screensaver runs although it should not.)
  2. The mouse apparently should vanish after a few seconds. Often it does not. Moving the mouse pointer a bit and waiting again often helps.
  3. wf-shell is configured to vanish after 5 seconds. Often it does not vanish until I click with the mouse in the wf-shell bar.

All these issues appear unrelated, but they have in common that normally some autodetection should happen after a while which apparently very often does not happen but happens only when it is triggered by some random (in general unrelated) input device action.

Does somebody else have this problem?

It might of course be related with some of my kernel interrupt or scheduling settings, but I have no idea where to look for.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of wayfire and wlroots?

What does your wayfire config file look like? (at least the plugin and idle sections)

Anything in the log?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfire-0.7.0
wlroots-0.12.0

~/.config/wayfire.ini wrote:

[core]
plugins = autostart command decoration idle move place resize switcher vswitch window-rules wm-actions
[idle]
cube_max_zoom = 1.500000
cube_rotate_speed = 1.000000
cube_zoom_speed = 1000
disable_on_fullscreen = true
dpms_timeout = 300
screensaver_timeout = -1
toggle = none

I have written a script which toggles the above values and
Quote:
disable_on_fullscreen = false
dpms_timeout = 5

After sufficiently many toggles, it usually works (though sometimes still with the value of the previous toggle...).

I am not sure where to look for logs (I start it from sddm). Certainly, there is nothing related in syslog or ~/.local/share/sddm.

Probably not related: cube screensaver is always just a black screen for me (same for the cube plugin which just shows the background color fullscreen) - I guess this is some pure graphics problem since all other effects seemed to work (I switched them off anyway, because I want a working environment and not a blinking [/bug]game station).
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some problems with 0.7.0 and old wlroots, both have been upgraded, 0.7.1 and 0.13.0 if I remember right, lots of fixes.
wlroots is in gentoo repo, but not the 7.1 ebuild, though the 7.0 one could be rebuild with a new number, nothings changed AFAIK.
I know they had a problem with the config file being updated properly, and I think the changes are in 0.7.1.

Most of the plugins I don't use, I have dpms set, and I like the windows to disappear in a blaze of glory :lol:

As far as output of wayfire, it does spew output, so sddm is probably throwing it away, you might try wayfire >[some file] 2>&1 instead of just wayfire for sddm to see if you get output, it also takes a -d to get more (debugging) output, though the messages are misleading at times.
Zucca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar problem with screensaver.
It's because sometimes the mouse (trackball in my case) is left at the "boundary between two positions". Then the mouse constantly sends interrupts to the system to move the cursor one step back and forth.

So basically it's problem with mouse input movement sensitivity threshold with wayfire (or wlroots, or libinput)

This sometimes happens when one of my cats jumps on the table and then triggers this behavior and then then displays turn on and never turn off, unless I move the mouse.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
It's because sometimes the mouse (trackball in my case) is left at the "boundary between two positions". Then the mouse constantly sends interrupts to the system to move the cursor one step back and forth.

I know this from X as well, but this is certainly not the case here. For instance, it can happen that the mouse pointer vanishes (hence the mouse was certainly not moved), but the screensaver does not start within 5 seconds when it is considered so.

I hope that it is fixed in wayfire-0.7.1; I will wait until the new version is in the gentoo repository. My reason to not upgrade wlroots to a newer version was an incompatbility (I forgot which one; maybe wayfire).
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfire 0.7.0 needs wlroots 0.12.0, and associated wf* files
wayfire 0.7.1 will need wlroots 0.13.0 not sure if wfconfig stuff will change or not

given the bug report I saw on wayfire and wlroots, I'm not too sure they know what to do.
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I stumbled into somewhat similar problem.

I was playing with idle -plugin. At some point my changes to the timeout just didn't had any effect. I could turn them off completely, but I couldn't change the intervals.

I think I'll set wayfire output it's debugging info to a file which I can then watch when/if it happens again.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: