View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddlaren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: KDE with dual graphics cards Reply with quote

Hi,

I am considering purchasing two smaller Radeon graphics cards (RX 550X - 4 GB) for my Gentoo/KDE desktop. I use the desktop for office only, no gaming what so ever. I have and need to use three screens, 2 st 1920x1200 and 1 2K screen.

How will my KDE desktop work if I use two separate not interconnected graphics cards like those? Will I be able to move windows over screens and so on or what will happen? Will I ran into some unexpected troubles? Any experiences that might be useful?

(if this works I will also upgrade the motherboard to a decent gentoo compiling device :twisted: )

BR
Erik
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD Radeon™ RX 550X seems to have 3 output port (DisplayPort, Dual Link DVI, HDMI), why not use only one card?
Marlo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE with dual graphics cards Reply with quote

paddlaren wrote:
... two smaller Radeon graphics cards (RX 550X - 4 GB)...

Look here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8584644.html#8584644

The suggestion of fedeliallalinea iseems correct.
paddlaren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellows,
I conclude that it will probably work just fine. I might work out of the box but I might also need to apply some xorg.configs on the way. I may use xinerama if I like and that is how I used to do it way back.

The original AMD radeon manufactured card might have 3 outputs but the one I am able to lay my hands on does not. It is a HP version of the card and only seems to have 2 outputs (sadly no DP). Anyway I am also considering 2 silent nvidia-cards instead and those have only 2 ports (DP+HDMI).

I would love to purchase a "real" radeon card with water cooling and many outputs but, at least in Sweden, there is an complete shortage of graphicscards. None to find. Sold out everywhere. The corona situation along with the boat accident starting to show. I found this HP-manufactured radeon card with lesser outputs and a few smaller nvidia-cards in stock though.

Cheers,
Erik
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a minor point, Xinerama itself is no longer the preferred way to do multi-monitor support. You want xrandr ("X Resize AND Rotate" -> XRANDR) instead. This should provide the functionality you want, but uses different tools to configure it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: