"cat /dev/mem >> /dev/null": Operation not p
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: "cat /dev/mem >> /dev/null": Operation not p Reply with quote

I want my user account to have access to /dev/mem so I can use DGA under Wine and I don't want to log in as root to do that. I know that I have the permissions and read/write access set properly, because once I got them right I started getting "Operation not permitted" errors instead of "Permission denied" errors. I've tried restarting the shell, logging off, etc. Is this because of some kind of security feature in the kernel? I haven't turned grsecurity on or installed LIDS or anything of the sort; what could be preventing me from accessing /dev/mem? Any help would be appreciated.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: kernel hack Reply with quote

If anyone wants to know how to access /dev/mem, I figured it out. Basically, for a user to access /dev/mem he needs to have the RAW_SYS_IO capability, but I had no idea to do that, so I hacked mem.c in the kernel so that it would always return true when checking if the user had the correct capability. If anyone wants me to post more specifics, just go ahead and message me and I'll try to figure it out again.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you just change the permissions in /etc/devfsd.conf?
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do that? I'm pretty sure it wasn't just a permission issue, because I made sure I was in the mem group that was the owner of /dev/mem, and also because I got "Operation not permitted" instead of "Permission denied". What could I have changed in /etc/devfsd.conf to accomplish the same thing?
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps posting hte permissions would be better than just saying it's not a permissions issue :roll:
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think Carlos is right. /dev/mem is protected by capabilities, above and beyond filesystem permissions. Carlos, if you are interested, the LIDS project has some more information on capabilities, including information on a tool that can be used to grant particular capabilities to particular programs. You could use LIDS to specify that certain programs have CAP_SYS_RAWIO.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Since someone asked me, Reply with quote

This is what I did:

In my Gentoo sources 2.4.19-r9 code, there's a part in mem.c that looks like this:
Code:
static int open_port(struct inode * inode, struct file * filp)
{
        return capable(CAP_SYS_RAWIO) ? 0 : -EPERM;
}
Basically, if you replace "capable(CAP_SYS_RAWIO)" with 1, or just change the whole line to "return true;", you'll always be able to read and write /dev/mem as long as you have permission to do so as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: