[SOLVED] How to order files in VIFM
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vcmota
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] How to order files in VIFM Reply with quote

I have started to use VIFM as my file manager a few days ago, and, although I have already mastered most of what I need, there are some things that does not seems to be simple, and that I could not guess from the manual. I am referring to how to order the files in a folder. Is there a command to do that, or, better, a shortcut/keystroke? What I would like is a behavior like that: I type some keystroke and the files became ordered by date of creation, starting from the newest; now I hit another keystroke and the files are now reordered again by date of creation but now starting from the oldest; now I hit a keystroke and the files are ordered alphabetically, and so on. In other words, I would like to emulate though the keystrokes the behavior of non-console file manager where you click in a certain point to redefine those listings.

Is there a way?

Thank you all for your attention.

Last edited by vcmota on Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
vcmota
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a partial solution. It is actually no hack at all, it is simple:

Code:

nnoremap l :sort<cr>m

I call it a partial solution because apparently I cant invert the order of the presentation of the files, they seems to always be shown from older to newer, although I find the opposite more useful. I will keep looking...
vcmota
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found it. Again, no hack, just a simple solution. The command below makes "lm" toggle the sorting order of everything show in a vifm tab regarding time of creation:

Code:

nnoremap lm :sort<cr>m:invert o<cr>

The command below make "ls" do the same but with file size:

Code:

nnoremap ls :sort<cr>s:invert o<cr>

Awesome!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: