Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Never seen a distro deliver updates this fast.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo-sources just installs kernel sources, which should come with their own headers. The kernel build should not care what linux-headers package is present on the system. I am not aware of any reason that you cannot install a new linux-headers alongside an older gentoo-sources.
pietinger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... yes, I CAN do this (if I enable unstable ~amd64 for linux-headers) ... :? ... but there is no recommendation in our whole Gentoo Wiki for this ... and virtual/os-headers (from @system) moves in: sys-kernel/linux-headers:0 automatically as a "stable" version ... Gentoo holds this:
Code:
# eix linux-headers
[U] sys-kernel/linux-headers
     Available versions:  3.18-r1^bs 4.4-r1^bs (~)4.9-r1^bs 4.14-r2^bs 4.19-r1^bs 5.4-r2^bs 5.10-r2^bs 5.15-r3^t (~)5.19^t (~)6.0^bs 6.1^bs (~)6.2^bs {headers-only}

If it is no problem - and no risk - to use always the newest version of linux-headers, then this would be stupid and we would need only ONE version (6.2) and THIS ONE version should be ALWAYS stable ... :?:

Anyway, thanks a lot for your answer, Hu ! For simplicity - and to be on a safe side - I will stay on my recommendation to use linux-headers according to used kernel version.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
[...] virtual/os-headers (from @system) moves in: sys-kernel/linux-headers:0 automatically as a "stable" version ... Gentoo holds this:
Code:
# eix linux-headers
[U] sys-kernel/linux-headers
     Available versions:  3.18-r1^bs 4.4-r1^bs (~)4.9-r1^bs 4.14-r2^bs 4.19-r1^bs 5.4-r2^bs 5.10-r2^bs 5.15-r3^t (~)5.19^t (~)6.0^bs 6.1^bs (~)6.2^bs {headers-only}

If it is no problem - and no risk - to use always the newest version of linux-headers, then this would be stupid and we would need only ONE version (6.2) and THIS ONE version should be ALWAYS stable ... :?:

Don't be so literal... sys-kernel/linux-headers follows the same rules for stabilization as any other package, virtual/os-headers-0-r2 pulls whatever the latest version of sys-kernel/linux-headers is in the user's selected branch (stable or testing), that's correct, and any given Gentoo system will only have one version installed, because the package is not slotted.

Just let users have Portage install whatever version of sys-kernel/linux-headers it wants to install.
As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To elaborate on GDH-gentoo's point, there is a good reason not to always automatically stable the newest kernel headers. Kernel headers are used when building glibc, and there is no guarantee that the latest stable sys-libs/glibc can build successfully with the latest git version of kernel headers. It would be nice if that were always true, and it may be true most of the time, but since it is not guaranteed, the Gentoo maintainers can (and, for the sake of suppressing duplicate bug reports, likely will) use keyword-based masking to ensure that users on stable do not pull in linux-headers that break stable glibc. Once the Gentoo maintainers for linux-headers / glibc are satisfied that a newer linux-headers does not break glibc, then they can change the keywords on that version of linux-headers to expose it to stable. Similar remarks may apply to testing (keeping testing glibc able to build with the latest testing-keyworded linux-headers). At present it does not appear that there is a no-keywords version of linux-headers being held back from the testing glibc users.
pietinger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
[...] It would be nice if that were always true, and it may be true most of the time, but since it is not guaranteed, the Gentoo maintainers can (and, for the sake of suppressing duplicate bug reports, likely will) use keyword-based masking to ensure that users on stable do not pull in linux-headers that break stable glibc. [...]

This explains it completely to me. Thank you very much, Hu ! For me this is now cleared. :D

@GDH-gentoo
Yes, you are right and of course I will let users install what they want (who am I); my question was "only" what to recommend.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
@GDH-gentoo
Yes, you are right and of course I will let users install what they want (who am I); my question was "only" what to recommend.

The problem is this recomendation. Users running kernels of versions earlier than the version of sys-kernel/linux-headers that Portage wants to install might think that they have to explicitly configure version masks in /etc/portage/package.mask, or something like that —and even ask why Portage isn't handling this for them—. They don't.
As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: