View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sl70
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: local mail not delivering Reply with quote

I used to use Evolution for email, and had local mail (cron job output, logwatch output, etc.) sent to ~/.maildir. I was able to make ~/.maildir a local mail folder that showed messages in Evolution. Everything was fine; I was happy.
Then the stupid university changed to MS Exchange with OAuth2, and I couldn't use Evolution anymore :cry: (I tried configuring evolution-ews for Exchange with OAuth2 but nothing worked; different problem, though.)
Now I'm sort of forced to use Thunderbird for mail, but I can't get local mail to be delivered. Thunderbird can only read local mail from a .mbox folder so in /etc/postfix/main.cf I set
Code:
home_mailbox = ~/.mbox

but there is still 1 big problem:
The mail is not going to ~/.mbox. I also tried ~/.mbox.sbd and ~/.mbox/Message.sdb, but mail messages don't get delivered there, either. The logs show nothing unusual. For example, this is in /var/log/messages:
Code:
Apr  5 03:04:45 musume postfix/local[6972]: 6E8FF2C00BA9D: to=<sl70@xxxxx.com>, orig_to=<sl70>, relay=local, delay=0.03, delays=0.02/0/0/0, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to mailbox)

This is a daily cron job that is run at about 3 a.m. No errors from postfix.
Our sysadmin says I should just read the log files and not bother sending them to email. But I can't find where those log files are even going. I run emerge --sync at 3:30 each morning, and would like to see if it actually succeeded or if there was another manifest mismatch or whatever. But I can't find a file with that output. Perhaps it's because the output is being sent to me by mail, but I can't find any dcron setting where that is specified.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me.
halcon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sl70,

Some thoughts.

sl70 wrote:
Then the stupid university changed to MS Exchange with OAuth2, and I couldn't use Evolution anymore

You could separate the local mails from the remote ones (and continue to use Evolution for the local mails). For example, my local mails are being delivered by sendmail to one folder, in maildir, and some of my remote mails are being sent/delivered by Claws Mail to/from another folder, in mh format.

sl70 wrote:
I run emerge --sync at 3:30 each morning, and would like to see if it actually succeeded or if there was another manifest mismatch or whatever. But I can't find a file with that output. Perhaps it's because the output is being sent to me by mail, but I can't find any dcron setting where that is specified.

Do you have a script sending emerge --sync output? Normaly, emerge --sync output is not going anywhere. I had to write a script and make it the emerge alias for logging emerge --sync output.
- Why did you buy 6 cartons of milk?
- They had eggs.
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Output from cron is emailed to the user under which the cron job is running - that would be root in this case.

Depending on the mailer, mails could end up in different places. But In your case, you need to set the postfix parameter correctly. Note the word "relative" here :)

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#home_mailbox

Quote:

home_mailbox (default: empty)

Optional pathname of a mailbox file relative to a local(8) user's home directory.

Message says delivered to mailbox, so the config is correct, but not as intended.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: