libgfortran not linked properly
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyoung
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: libgfortran not linked properly Reply with quote

I'm trying to use a binary application (DiskFit) that's trying to access libgfortran. I'm getting the error:
Code:
DiskFit: error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But, I have gcc installed with the fortran flag enabled, and libgfortran exists at this location:

Code:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.2.0/libgfortran.so.5

Although, the version is not the same. Any ideas?

I've also looked into compiling this application from source myself, but that doesn't look realistic at the moment.
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
What is the package name for diskfit?
I cant find it.
How did you install it?
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: libgfortran not linked properly Reply with quote

jyoung wrote:
I'm trying to use a binary application (DiskFit) that's trying to access libgfortran. I'm getting the error:
Code:
DiskFit: error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But, I have gcc installed with the fortran flag enabled, and libgfortran exists at this location:

Code:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.2.0/libgfortran.so.5

Although, the version is not the same.

As far as I can tell, libgfortran.so.3 was the libgfortran from the GCC 6 series. You have GCC 10.2.0, so of course DiskFit does not find it. That must be an old binary.
jyoung
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an old binary. I'm an astronomer, and this is software that another astronomer developed, which is why it isn't in a package.

GDH-gentoo, that backs up an experiment I did on my end. I also have a debian box that's running gcc 6, and the binary works without issue there. gcc-6.5.0-r3 is still in portage, so maybe emerging that version will pull in the library.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyoung wrote:
gcc-6.5.0-r3 is still in portage, so maybe emerging that version will pull in the library.

If you are going to install it, you will probably have to use eselect gcc set to temporarily switch to 6.5.0 before running DiskFit, and then back to 10.2.0 (or whatever is current as time passes) for everything else.
jyoung
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, that would be really unfortunate, if I had to eselect back and forth. I realize that this is a legacy application, but it would be great if there was an easier way.

However, I just tried it, and DiskFit still runs even if I've eselected for the newer gcc. This is true even if I log in and log out.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyoung wrote:
However, I just tried it, and DiskFit still runs even if I've eselected for the newer gcc. This is true even if I log in and log out.

eselect gcc set adds a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d that tells the dynamic linker to search for libgfortran in /usr/lib/gcc/$CHOST/<selected GCC version>. It is possible that the location of the libgfortran from GCC 6.5.0 has been cached, and that's why DiskFit works even if you have GCC 10.2.0 selected. Look at the output of ldconfig -p | grep libgfortran.
jyoung
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The output of
Code:
ldconfig -p | grep libgfortran.

looks like
Code:
   libgfortran.so.5 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.2.0/libgfortran.so.5
   libgfortran.so.5 (libc6) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.2.0/32/libgfortran.so.5
   libgfortran.so.3 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.5.0/libgfortran.so.3
   libgfortran.so.3 (libc6) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.5.0/32/libgfortran.so.3
   libgfortran.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.2.0/libgfortran.so
   libgfortran.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.5.0/libgfortran.so
   libgfortran.so (libc6) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/10.2.0/32/libgfortran.so
   libgfortran.so (libc6) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.5.0/32/libgfortran.so

Okay, so if I understand this right I would probably need to run ldconfig on the directory that contains this library essentially any time that I do something that flushes the cache, right?
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyoung wrote:
Okay, so if I understand this right I would probably need to run ldconfig on the directory that contains this library essentially any time that I do something that flushes the cache, right?

I think so, yes. Or use eselect gcc set to temporarily switch to 6.5.0.
jyoung
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's certainly a workable solution, but not ideal. I'm the admin on this system, but other users run DiskFit. What's the standard solution for legacy code support?
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtual machines / containers / chroots replicating the "old" environment I suppose, but in this case, copying the libgfotrtan of GCC 6.5.0 to /usr/local/lib64 with the name libgfortran.so.3 might work. I believe that, unlike /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.5.0, the dynamic linker does search /usr/local/lib64 for shared libraries, Portage will not touch /usr/local, and the libgfortran from newer versions of GCC will have a name of the form libgfortran.so.x with x >= 5, so there will be no confusion about which version a running program will load.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: