Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@yellowzip2:

I've seen the Origin website, but thanks for the link. My impression from the author was that it was supposed to be (paraphrasing) "better by default" than uMatrix. In my opinion, Origin does very little (compared to uMatrix) by default.

yellowzip2 wrote:
Interesting author. Not sure the "Extensions bad" trope is going to be believed at this stage (current year) - didn't we do this already?
By "doing this already," do you mean the problem has been resolved, there was never a problem, something else? I'm not sure why the author's about page and tropes have to do with the underlying problem.
yellowzip2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none

Last edited by yellowzip2 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:36 am; edited 2 times in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I mainly wanted to ensure the author didn't have a track record of frequently being wrong.

On the matter of "bad by default," I do consider that to be true as a precaution until I'm "otherwise convinced" on an individual basis. I have no way of meaningfully evaluating extensions. I have 4 enabled (HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, uBlock Scope, and uMatrix). A fifth remains installed but has been disabled for a long time (NoScript). I had Privacy Badger(?) and a couple / few others installed, but I don't recall what they were. With XUL, I used an extension to automatically delete cookies... I miss that one, but haven't been "convinced" to trust an alternative.
yellowzip2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none

Last edited by yellowzip2 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:36 am; edited 9 times in total
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember there were some concerns with Privacy Badger. EFF has affiliates. And the concern was that PB would add the domains of these affiliates to the whilelist.
I tried to search for the article about it, but couldn't find it. Maybe it isn't a concern anymore?
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that Privacy Badger in Firefox helps me. It keeps me informed and sometimes out of trouble.

I only run four extension:
Duck Duck Go Privacy Essentials
Privacy Badger
Facebook Container
Web Developer

Blocking I do with /etc/hosts and I've started to use adguard.com's DNS. I don't see any difference with adguard's DNS though, but it seems fast.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellowzip2 wrote:
I currently do this in Firefox-87.0 natively on both PC and Mobile: See about:preferences#privacy | Cookies and Site Data < Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed. I frequently close my browser and cleanup with a bash script!
I have "delete when closed" enabled too, but primarily because it is better than nothing. The extension I used deleted them a short time after closing the tab. I think the time was configurable.

I thought I had WebRTC disabled, but I didn't see what I was expecting, so maybe I'm thinking of something else. I'll look into some the options you mentioned, thanks!

Zucca wrote:
I remember there were some concerns with Privacy Badger. EFF has affiliates. And the concern was that PB would add the domains of these affiliates to the whilelist.
I tried to search for the article about it, but couldn't find it. Maybe it isn't a concern anymore?
Maybe it was this?
Quote:
Ars Technica notes that if an advertiser makes a commitment to respect Do Not Track requests, their cookies will be unblocked from Privacy Badger.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_Badger#Reception

I'd forgotten about that, but I think that was why I stopped using it.
yellowzip2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none

Last edited by yellowzip2 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, don't trust any source blindly. I remember the issue. That wikipedia since has had a reference to the issue is not relevant to whether or not it was if not still is an issue. Also, it isn't "wikipeidia," it specifically references Ars Technica. According to the archived article, Ars quoted "the EFF". Of course, by 2014 Ars' content suffered considerably, but I'm not aware of any pattern of negligence, only lower quality in general. But that seems to be Condé Nast's specialty.

That an unrelated problem was identified years later by someone other than EFF isn't really meaningful. Yes, it is good that at the time, the EFF addressed the defaults, but that's bare minimum IMO. I'd expect nothing less. As an aside, the "learn over time" was one of the features I didn't care for. It translated to me as "exposed to threats until some unknown future time and date."
yellowzip2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none

Last edited by yellowzip2 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that same Ars article you linked to, this seemed the part directly related to the previously brought up issue of allowing cookies from "affiliates" (emphasis added):
Quote:
Users who install Privacy Badger can whitelist websites. Additionally, "Advertisers and other third-party domains can unblock themselves in Privacy Badger by making a strong commitment to respect Do Not Track requests," the EFF said.
At the time, that was a design choice. I even understand the motivation... "if advertisers will be nice, we won't punish them for it."

I have relatively low to moderate concern about tracking for advertising, but extreme concern about the use of that data for purposes other than advertising.
yellowzip2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none

Last edited by yellowzip2 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was really about a past implementation, so that it has gone on for this many posts seems unfortunate. I prefer blocking as much as possible by default, and distrust mechanisms that try to sound strong on blocking while simultaneously allowing "friends" through the back door. "I said no one is allowed in, not that its okay if they come in the back door as long as I'm not informed about it." *shrug* To each their own. It reminds me of disreputable "opt-in" knowing full well most people don't want that. And I fully acknowledge that it probably isn't as bad as I just described. When uMatrix becomes less helpful, I may have to try PB again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: