Broadcom NetXtreme BCM57xx corruption?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM57xx corruption? Reply with quote

I'm still using kernel 4.4.x as my laptop does not suspend/resume properly on newer kernels, and I deleted my old kernels before I narrowed this problem down.

Apparently this issue manifested first in distcc where somehow when using distcc, I would get corrupted data back from other machines. If I didn't use distcc or if I avoided using this network interface, it seems the corruption goes away. This problem seems to have coincided with me changing from a 512M DDR to a 1GB DDR. However I found that even with all 1.5GB RAM, I can emerge just fine if I only used localhost.

The weird thing is that I can browse and ssh fine, but with the 4.4.257-gentoo kernel, the problem has gotten worse and I'm losing packets on ssh hence a deeper look into this problem.

Wondering if anyone seen this weird behavior. Also I need to locate that 512M DIMM again to see if I can still reproduce this issue with only 1GB RAM (or I should remove that other 512M to go back down to 1GB RAM, but it'd be better if I could go back to the original configuration). This could point to a bounce buffer/DMA issue with the driver/chip or chipset but just using the RAM for CPU host is fine.

Too many things changed and hard to pinpoint the culprit:
- New kernels/ethernet driver? Unlikely but haven't ruled out
- 2x512M=1GB RAM -> 1x512M+1x1G=1.5GB RAM? Could try to go back to 0+1x1GB=1GB if I can't find the other module to go back to old working configuration.
- It's an old computer, perhaps it's really failing.
- Thought it was distcc, but now it has been definitively ruled out.
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, I like super old hardware.
what are are the specs?
How do the caps on the motherboard look?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, it's a laptop with its laptopesque way of opening it to view its capacitors (i.e. near impossible).
Just a 1.6GHz Pentium-M laptop with a Radeon 9000M graphics processor. I wouldn't call it super old (My Omnibook 600CT and 200LX will better take that designation) but it indeed is nowhere near state of the art..

Surprised that network functionality would be first to go over say memory or cpu errors, but anything is possible...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: