View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anon240240
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:07 am    Post subject: cant use startx while in non root user. Reply with quote

hi whenever i try to use startx when not in a root user it says that the server shut down unexpectadly. i created the user by doing user add -m username then usermod -a -G wheel users exampleusername. Is there something i messed up? if there are any files i need to paste please tell me. Thanks for any help.
Anon240240
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to add something

xauth: file /home/anon/.Xauthoritf does not exist

shows up
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that ~/.xinitrc either doesn't exist or specifies a window manager to run. You probably need to read this page.

You probably want to add your user to a few more groups like video and audio although I doubt that is the problem.

EDIT: A belated welcome to Gentoo. As a general rule, in future you should avoid replying to your own post because that removes it from the unanswered page. A lot of members check there first so it might cause your post to be missed.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you install Xorg server non-suid? If unsure, the answer is available from emerge --pretend --verbose x11-base/xorg-server. Are you using elogind? If yes, is elogind correctly configured? Please post the full output of the Xorg server log.
xylophone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent emerge update seemingly changed my system to use elogind and caused permission errors with startx (unable to open /dev/tty0). Xorg ran with sudo and as root, but loginctl user-status returned no output.

I think I fixed it with rc-update add elogind boot, and a reboot.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USE="suid elogind" and USE="suid -elogind" have different meanings, the former installs a suid wrapper rather than make Xorg itself suid.

I don't use either, but the former likely requires elogind and/or system dbus already running to work, so yeah. In case of display managers, xdm script depends on dbus which in turn will start elogind without being in runlevels.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: