Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ati rage mobility M3 has no frame buffer?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itoito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: ati rage mobility M3 has no frame buffer? Reply with quote

I have a powerbook g4 400 with the ati rage card. I use the latest ppc sources and I append video=atyfb in the yaboot.conf file. When I play around with Xwindows everything works, but when I want to play a game like gltron that uses 3d, it is really undoable. I enbled DRI and option usefb in the XFconfig file.

I suspect there's something wrong with the settings for this card, I also though that it could use normal memory from the computer to boost up the 8mb it normally has. When booting everything seems fine except for a couple of messages:

fb0: ATY Rage128 frame buffer device on PCI
no framebuffer address found for /pci@f00000000/ATY,RageM3p12Parent@10/ATY,RageM3p12b

what can I do to enable the framebuffer and can I boost the Xwindows 3d performance?
brady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an ibook with ati rage mobility.

first, the kernel param im using is:

video=aty128fb

dont know if that makes a difference.

also, my video card has 8mb ram. this means you cannot run the glx extension (well, you cant use the direct rendering portions aka acceleration) at 24bpp. you have to run at 16bpp. the loss of colors makes little to no difference from what ive seen, however (and im a picky person in these matters). if your card has 8mb ram, you will have to do the same for direct rendering.

cheers!

-brady
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: