Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Linux 1.4 sources
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you agree to make a gentoo CD with sources? (Xfree86, KDE, Gnome...)
Yes
46%
 46%  [ 43 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
I'm not interested in a sources CD
40%
 40%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 93

royger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Linux 1.4 sources Reply with quote

I have a slow conection on my home, a 56 modem and I can't download gentoo sources in the install, so I think it will be very interesting to make a full gentoo CD, with Xfree86, KDE, Gnome and all this. I can download the full CD in a house of a friend or somewhere else, and then install it.
I tryed LiveCd, but it makes a generic install, and i want to install gentoo to make my own linux, with only the packets that i need, so livecd doesn't suit me :( .

Bye and thank's

[royger]
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving to gentoo suggestions.

--kurt
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By install CD I would guess you mean a CD containing the necessary source tarballs -- correct? That could be done by doing a Gentoo install, "emerge -f x kde gnome" (which downloads everything), and burning /usr/portage/distfiles onto a CD along with the isolinux stuff so it's still a bootable CD, but with your new files. Then, on your next install, after you've formatted everything, you can mount the CD and copy the source tarballs into /usr/portage/distfiles. Portage will automatically use them.
Ishamael
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... but which implies the place where you download the sources must have gentoo running as well.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ishamael wrote:
... but which implies the place where you download the sources must have gentoo running as well.

You can get a base system up using the stage 3 tarball (or the stage 1 tarball + some patience) and then use something like this script to generate a list of necessary download files, which you can put on a floppy, take over to your friend's house (or wherever) and proceed to burn them to CD.

Remember, Gentoo is primarily oriented towards folks with broadband connections. Even if there was a 1.4 sources CD, you'd still have to download lots and lots of stuff to keep the box maintained (new kernel versions, etc.)

--kurt
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but it would be easier if you could just install faster and then update one thing at a time over night. The length of an install can be awful long. I'm not saying it's not worthwhile because I think it is. I'm just saying that if there's a big problem with gentoo it's the length of install time. Especially, if your boss says, "I need ten PC's right now for this and such network!" How can you push gentoo other than to say that they will be way easier to maintain after you get them up and running.
royger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's to all for your help, i didn't expect such a good reply :D . Firts i want to say that i'm the only person i know that uses Linux (i know another, but he uses 56 modem so he can't help me).
I can't intall gentoo on my computer, because stages1, 2 or 3 doesn't have ppp support, and i can't make a gateway. Once i will have gentoo installed (with kppp and KDE) i could download the updates if im interested in, i dont know if you understand me, my english is not very good :). You may think why i havent a good conection (adsl or something better than a modem), this is because im only 16 and my parents doesnt want to buy me a adsl or something better :( . So i have to survive with this. I think more people is in my situation, so you could make a cd with all the packages, independent from stage 1, 2 and 3. I think this wil be the best solution.

bye and thank's

[royger]
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royger wrote:
I can't intall gentoo on my computer

Yes, you can.

--kurt
peschmae
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there nobody out there who has acces (perhaps to the official gentoo servers) to a server and is willing to add there a (cron or something like that) script, which just creates isos of all available gentoo packages and puts them online?

I'd be really nice for people (especially young people (i'm 17)) to be able to get the isos somewhere, 'cause young people usually dont have the possibility to get adsl for themselves

MFG Peschmä
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peschmae wrote:
is there nobody out there who has acces (perhaps to the official gentoo servers) to a server and is willing to add there a (cron or something like that) script, which just creates isos of all available gentoo packages and puts them online?

And this does exactly what? You still have to download the ISOs, so at some point, you have to find a broadband connection somewhere or have a lot of patience with your modem connection.

So, since you still have to download a wholelot of something, why are ISOs so important when you can use the script mentioned above to generate a targeted list of only those files that you really need? That uses bandwidth more efficiently, takes less time to download and seems to be a much better solution.

So, I'll ask again, why are ISOs so important?

--kurt
felysium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
peschmae wrote:

And this does exactly what? You still have to download the ISOs, so at some point, you have to find a broadband connection somewhere or have a lot of patience with your modem connection.

So, since you still have to download a wholelot of something, why are ISOs so important when you can use the script mentioned above to generate a targeted list of only those files that you really need? That uses bandwidth more efficiently, takes less time to download and seems to be a much better solution.

So, I'll ask again, why are ISOs so important?

--kurt

Because with the traditional install method you'll have to download through your own local connection. With ISO's, people could download the ISO at a place with fast internet and burn it to cd, bring the cd to their own computer and install...
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

felysium wrote:
Because with the traditional install method you'll have to download through your own local connection.

Says who? The script I pointed to earlier generates a list of files that can be used, along with wget, on any linux or windows computer. Download the tarballs, burn them to CD and copy them over to your freshly-installed stage 3 gentoo box.

--kurt
maxpower
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:32 am    Post subject: Sources Reply with quote

I think it should also be mentioned that all of the source files are readily available from the gentoo homepage by clicking the appropriate miiror. Then you could download all of the sources you wanted and burn it to an cd. If you have burning software to burn an ISO then you should be able to burn the separate source packages.
peschmae
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouups, yes, you're right ...

but there stays the problem that without ISOs you can't get a linux distributor (like http://www.net-store.ch) to sell cds with the tarballs...

thanks peschmä
royger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My final question is: will there be a sources cd with gentoo1.4 or not?

53% peolpe voted Yes, so i think is time to make a minimum source cd with Xfree, KDE, Gnome and other big packages (i know that ppp & kppp are not big packages but i think it may be added too :))
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royger wrote:
Yes, so i think is time to make a minimum source cd with Xfree, KDE, Gnome and other big packages

Great! Thanks for volunteering!

--kurt
wilbertnl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Keep Gentoo with source basic Reply with quote

It would be interesting to get a source CD available.
But I suggest to keep the source selection very basic. Like text based applications, vim, lynx (or w3m?) xfree-4.2 would be okay too, because they don't release updates very often.

The point is: I would avoid sources of applications which are released every other day. ;-)
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always go to a Gentoo box and:

Code:
# mkdir ~/sources_cd
# cd ~/sources_cd
# emerge rsync
# rm /usr/portage/distfiles/*
# tar cjf /usr/portage portage-tree.tbz2
# emerge --fetchonly --emptytree system xfree links vim ...
# cp -r /usr/portage/distfiles ./
# mkisofs -o ~/sources_cd.iso *

Then kindly post the sources_cd.iso to some FTP somewhere, tell the Gentoo developer's mailing list about it, and be done with it.

(BTW, links is better than lynx in a whole lot of ways. https support, menus, mouse support, a real layout engine that deals intelligently with things like tables, etc. Check it out.)
royger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Sources CD Reply with quote

tomorrow im gonna install gentoo, (i will take my pc to a adsl 256/128 connection), i will intall Gentoo 1.4beta if all goes well :) . When i finish i will try to make a sources CD, but my server is on an adsl 256/128 connection, so i cant put the image there, people will saturate my server, and the connection only accepts 14kbps of upload. I need a ftp server to upload the image, does anyone have one?

[royger]

Jazz
Flower
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sources CD Reply with quote

royger wrote:
I need a ftp server to upload the image, does anyone have one?

Royger -- PM me when you get the completed ISO and we'll work something out.

--kurt
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sources CD Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
royger wrote:
I need a ftp server to upload the image, does anyone have one?

Royger -- PM me when you get the completed ISO and we'll work something out.

--kurt

A host can be added in Israel too on my own host.
For news contact me: pacman@huji.ac.il
( from today 5/09 till 28/09 I'll be in vacation but after it, will be possible to make a mirror of this ISO in Israel too )
Best regards,
Liviu

MACPRO machine...
royger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Finished! Reply with quote

Well i think i have a good sources cd, with XFree, wvdial, ppp, KDE, FluxBox...I have done a iso of my /usr/portage/ dir, and i did stage1, so maybe u can make a stage1 with this iso *not sure*. I think i have convince my parents to buy adsl :) , so i could update the sources cd.
Now i need the ftp to upload it, i think the image is about 600MB.

Thank's to all in your interest of making a sources cd!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[img:564b61da01]http://www.arkania.org/~royger/gentoo2.jpg[/img:564b61da01]

[royger]
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Finished! Reply with quote

royger wrote:
Now i need the ftp to upload it, i think the image is about 600MB.

Royger -- as I said, send me a PM and we'll work something out. I've got tons of bandwidth on the server and am happy to host the ISO for you.

Also, can you please reduce the size of that sig image? It's pretty big.

--kurt
royger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a PM?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royger wrote:
What's a PM?

Private Message. Hence the "pm" icon at the bottom of every post, next to "profile".

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: