Gentoo on Macbook Air/Pro M1 (ARM64)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for used M1 Air semi-actively. So far the prices seem to be around 600€ here.
I think I'll wait a little more... If I ever get one I'll be running Linux on it bare metal.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally spent some time to do it bare metal.

short version of whats happening is: you basically can have more than one version of mac os on your mac. so you not technically install linux, you just install another mac. quite difficult to get early screen, so if you mess up grub and booting or forget to put a root password and start network/ssh before reboot ... might be hard to return and fix it later. But there are creative ways. :))

I tried it on a mac mini with M1 and 16GB of RAM. its much faster running on bare metal than parallels. But some things wont work out of the box, or wont work at all. Fortunately the list is getting shorter. You basically can't do USB4/thunderbolt. sound still finicky.

My suggestion, and what I chose to do is to slim mac os as much as possible, then made a minimal fedora install, and from fedora, using guides, I managed to start a gentoo install. From the system point of view, I have 3 mac OS installed. 1 is the original mac os, the other 2 are linux installs masquerading as macos. Also, should prolly keep in mind that ext/2/3/4 you can read/write from mac os, but other more exotic FS wont be able to open. its good to have a second version of linux, just in case you lock yourself out of the system somehow, otherwise you basically are forced to delete and reinstall. unless its ext4 can't otherwise get back to that data, unless you have a second linux.

Its not that complicated. Most of the work is mostly done. Wont be easy either. But its doable now.

yes, the gpu driver is reasonable now. has some GL functionality. better than macs I think. and vulkan. but only on wayland. I mostly use it as compile machine, and for that its amazing. when it idles it just plays stuff on kodi. and does that very well.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Gentoo on Mac is officially supported now.

Project:Asahi

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
It looks like Gentoo on Apple Silicon is officially supported now.

Project:Asahi

FTFY :D

I am a fan of the Apple Laptop Hardware.

I'm also glad that when they EOL my 2022 macbook macos I'll upgrade it to Gentoo. Until then my Gentoo on Apple Silicon is in a vm.

Late 2007, I was looking for what would be my second laptop. I was looking hard at the Dell M1330. Then I noticed a similarly equipped macbook actually cost less. Typing from that one now. Still works fine in Linux. Some websites drive it pretty hard. The 1280x800 monitor is its biggest fault. The keyboard is still as awesome as it has ever been.

At the end of 2012, I used airline miles to get a MacBookPro Retina. It too works well today in Linux.

I've considered looking for a used Apple Silicon Air to try out Asahi, but just haven't gotten there yet. My Gentoo Pi adventure is occupying the free time right now.
Freed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, asahi Linux can support Gentoo, although it is unofficial. https://github.com/AsahiLinux/docs/wiki/SW%3AAlternative-Distros

Official support OS is Fedora Asahi Remix, https://asahilinux.org/fedora/

Maybe in the future, Gentoo Asahi Remix will come :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: