Jupyter Lab
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lvx_xvl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Jupyter Lab Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've a question concerning the python package Jupyter. Somehow no information on JupyterLabs can be found.
All though Jupyter is supported be default in gentoo-packages via dev-python/jupyter, and notebooks are available, no support for labs is available.

Is this packages provided in an other way, or do I need to install it via Python pip?
Btw: I'm trying to install JupyterLabs via Python 3.7 on standard x64 gentoo headless server.

Best regards,
LVX
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to gentoo forum.

Some external overlay has jupyterlab package, but I'm not sure if is what you want.
lvx_xvl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fedeliallalinea,

I did actually found the same site, but was wondering why labs isn't available from the default dev-python/jupyter package as notebook is available. I was wondering if it already contained the labs part.

I will look at the overlay, but am wondering if this is the preferred solution. Especially because you could 'pip install --user jupyterlab' the package.

Best regards,
LVX.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lvx_xvl wrote:
I did actually found the same site, but was wondering why labs isn't available from the default dev-python/jupyter package as notebook is available. I was wondering if it already contained the labs part.

Sorry I don't know this package.

lvx_xvl wrote:
I will look at the overlay, but am wondering if this is the preferred solution. Especially because you could 'pip install --user jupyterlab' the package.

I prefer always installing packages with portage where possible, but gentoo is a choice and you can also install it with pip.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wondering this for some time as well so I just resorted to pip --user.
Some python version mismatches so I had to ensure I was defaulted to py37 for all system provided liveries were functioning.
haschka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Try emerge dev-python/notebook Reply with quote

dev-python/notebook is probably what you are looking for.

no need to install using pip, which in general seems to be a bad idea. If you have to resort to pip you may use g-sorcery to create ebuilds directly from pip packages:

c.f. https://github.com/jauhien/gs-pypi
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Try emerge dev-python/notebook Reply with quote

haschka wrote:

no need to install using pip, which in general seems to be a bad idea. If you have to resort to pip you may use g-sorcery to create ebuilds directly from pip packages:

Notebook is only one aspect of both Jupyter and Jupyterlab. With the recent change of python default I re-installed Jupyterlab in --user and there is actually only about 6 packages missing to bring this framework into the main repository
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Try emerge dev-python/notebook Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
haschka wrote:

Notebook is only one aspect of both Jupyter and Jupyterlab. With the recent change of python default I re-installed Jupyterlab in --user and there is actually only about 6 packages missing to bring this framework into the main repository

Jupyterlab and friends are now available in the main repository, I also added a neat little electron client for Jupyterlab to the Science repository (That one is not quite ready for the main repository yet)
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
I have this installed via PIP but it causes havok.
The actual dep missing from the main tree was low, I just never got rou d to creating the builds
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: