Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is it possible to build Gentoo with Qubes OS features?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
validos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Is it possible to build Gentoo with Qubes OS features? Reply with quote

Hello. I am new to Gentoo, so I apologize if this is a basic question.

Qubes OS is a system based on Fedora 25 with Xen and a bunch of tools to make it easier to work with VMs via GUI and TUI. I want to build an OS with its features but with updated software and without Xorg and OpenSSH. I haven't found anyone successfully doing this exact thing and don't know how to do it myself. Where should I look to get more clearance and eventually building it?

Would appretiate any advice or link, thanks!

EDIT: My initial description of Qubes is not fully correct. Besides relative ease of usa, it has a good number of tools and tweaks which make it more secure.
CooSee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to build Gentoo with Qubes OS features? Reply with quote

validos wrote:
Hello. I am new to Gentoo, so I apologize if this is a basic question.

Qubes OS is a system based on Fedora 25 with Xen and a bunch of tools to make it easier to work with VMs via GUI and TUI. I want to build an OS with its features but with updated software and without Xorg and OpenSSH. I haven't found anyone successfully doing this exact thing and don't know how to do it myself. Where should I look to get more clearance and eventually building it?

Would appretiate any advice or link, thanks!

EDIT: My initial description of Qubes is not fully correct. Besides relative ease of usa, it has a good number of tools and tweaks which make it more secure.

hello and welcome :)

you can try the next coming 4.1 (pre-release TESTING )with current fedora 32 etc.

https://openqa.qubes-os.org/tests/10797#downloads/

no guarantee 8O :roll:

greetings
beQuiet! Silent Base 800 Black - MSI C236A - Xeon E3-1245v5 - 32GB RAM Kingston - Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX590 8G - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500GB - Gigabyte AORUS M.2 1GB - Teufel Concept C 2.1 Sound - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mouse G400
validos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you can try the next coming 4.1 (pre-release TESTING )with current fedora 32 etc.

Wow, thanks for replying so quckly! I didn't know about the testing release. Probably install it on my laptop tomorrow.

Last edited by validos on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
CooSee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qubes OS on a laptop is great when you use it with Intel GPU or AMD GPU - Nvidia is PITA.

don't forget, safety first - backup your files, before install.

just go to -> groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/qubes-users <- and you'll get help.

good luck :wink:

EDIT: Qubes Gentoo Template is coming 8)

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4412
beQuiet! Silent Base 800 Black - MSI C236A - Xeon E3-1245v5 - 32GB RAM Kingston - Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX590 8G - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500GB - Gigabyte AORUS M.2 1GB - Teufel Concept C 2.1 Sound - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mouse G400
fepitre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now available for our current devel/testing release: https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2020/10/05/new-gentoo-templates-and-maintenance-infrastructure/

If you notice anything, please give me your feedback to the corresponding issue: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4412

Best,
Frédéric
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: