quake3 mods and screen window manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManicMailman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: quake3 mods and screen window manager Reply with quote

why is the window manager "Screen" listed as a dependency for quake3 mods (osp, cpma)?
i mean, it would be odd enough that a random window manager is listed as a dependancy, but for a mod to a game, and not even the actual game?
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen a window manager??? Since when???

Screen is a program you can use to create virtual terminals on the command line and connect/disconnect from them at will - this is VERY useful for quake3.

For instance to start a quake3 server in a "screen" I can do:

screen ./q3ded

that will start q3ded in a new virtual terminal. Then while the process continues running I can hit Ctrl+A then D to detatch from the process. Now I am back at the regular command line, and not hooked to the process at all. Now I can disconnect my telnet session/logoff or whatever but the server keeps running.

If I want to reconnect I do:

screen -r

and it will reconnect me to a screen that is running as my user. This way I can change q3 mods and maps and configs and stuff.

I can see how this is very useful, but I do have to agree that I don't see the need for it to be a dependency. But, it could have something to do with the scripts for osp and cpma - not sure though.

Derek
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: