View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pvphaneuf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: unplug bootup Reply with quote

I was wondering if any of you guys have this probleme too because it seems only to affect P20 linux users, but when I boot up my P20 after a session where I had used Linux (any kind of linux including SuSE, Ubuntu, Gentoo...) I always have to unplug my power cable and run off battery power so that the BIOS boots up and boots up the bootloader. If I don't pull the power plug out when I start the P20 up, I just get a blank screen.

I was wondering if any of you also have this problem and if it can be solved. I was thinking that maybe I had to update my BIOS, and I did, but there isn't a change. I think I'm runnning Phoenix 1.2 BIOS now.

Thanks in advance for any help!
jkroon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The P10 is affected too. It's what I call the black void death. It happens when you boot with acpi=off, or use a 2.4 kernel. The suspicion some of the kernel hackers and myself share is that the BIOS doesn't properly reset all the hardware, and then specifically the AUX, which btw, pretends to be a MUX, which it is not. It is for this reason that you need i8042.nomux=1, the usb-handoff is required because (suspicion again) the keyboard and touchpad is in fact hooked up via the usb system. This also explains why without the usb1.1 modules you don't have any keyboard or touchpad ...

Rather irritating ...
coshx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: P20 and Linux Reply with quote

cros13 wrote:

The SD controller works with kernel 2.6 drivers(its a toshiba america systems typA controller)

All of the info I've found says that the card reader doesn't work under linux. I see it as a typA controller in lspci, but then dmesg doesn't show anything when I insert a card under linux. Can you post some specifics (maybe .config settings?) as to how you got this working?

thanks,
coshx
Toastbrot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: P20 and Linux Reply with quote

coshx wrote:
cros13 wrote:

The SD controller works with kernel 2.6 drivers(its a toshiba america systems typA controller)

All of the info I've found says that the card reader doesn't work under linux. I see it as a typA controller in lspci, but then dmesg doesn't show anything when I insert a card under linux. Can you post some specifics (maybe .config settings?) as to how you got this working?

thanks,
coshx

Well, I need some information, too. I'm using an Toshiba P10, but the SD reader is the same as in the P20, i think.

tanks.

Der mit dem Eselspinguin tanzt.
jkroon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, P10 as well, lspci wasn't being very helpful until now:

Code:
0000:02:04.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB-710/2/4 Cardbus Controller
0000:02:04.2 Class 0805: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI Secure Digital Card Reader Controller

I list both since the cardpus (pcmcia?) is working but the SD card reader not. Looks like it's the same physcial chip though as only the function numbers differ. Guess the time is ripe to take another wack at this. Then I can truly claim that it's only the onetouch keys I haven't got working, but I exchanged emails with someone who did. So if the SD card reader can work then there is not a single piece of hardware on this notebook that doesn't function. A shame the binary ati drivers doesn't support suspending though.
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a P20 also, got to love having a brute of a processor and a 17" screen especaily since i got mine at cost from my work.

amyone have any luck getting sensors working yet, ive got the cpu modulating fine but would like to monitor the temps so i can see if it has any affect.

ps if anyone wants to post their xorg.conf and save me spend ages tracking down modline and alps configs thanks to a reinstall it would be cool
jkroon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure whether the P20 also has an ATi, if so, my xorg.conf is available from http://www.kroon.co.za/howto.php?howto=toshiba_p10.

As for the sensors, I managed to get a deffinate "not supported" last time I tried (It detects them but states that they're not supported type of thing). Haven't checked in a while. You can however "emerge omnibook", "modprobe omnibook" and then take a look at /proc/omnibook :).
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers nice to know what the temperaturs are even if changing the clock speed has no effect.

out of interest what do the dvd controll buttons on the front actually do, i never had had windows on long enough to find out , also any idea how i find what the other special keys do so i like the web button

Last edited by ewan.paton on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
jkroon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got the "mode" button to work under Linux once. That is supposed to switch between "flat" stereo and the "digital" 3D or something. Basically they add a hardware filter over the frequencies so that it sounds 3D although its not (by softening stuff that supposedly behind you etc ... don't have full details on this). The other buttons are pretty obvious from the signs :).

I never got the buttons on the side (web + ??? + tv-out) ones to even register events in Linux so I can only guess as to their purpose.
nitediver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkroon wrote:
The P10 is affected too. It's what I call the black void death. It happens when you boot with acpi=off, or use a 2.4 kernel. The suspicion some of the kernel hackers and myself share is that the BIOS doesn't properly reset all the hardware, and then specifically the AUX, which btw, pretends to be a MUX, which it is not. It is for this reason that you need i8042.nomux=1, the usb-handoff is required because (suspicion again) the keyboard and touchpad is in fact hooked up via the usb system. This also explains why without the usb1.1 modules you don't have any keyboard or touchpad ...

Rather irritating ...

thank you very much for this info. been using linux for a few years but it is only now, that i am getting more and more into it. i own a toshiba p 20 as it is known here in the u.k. have tried suse 10.1 and fedora c5, both with success as a dual boot with windows and the only thing was the black screen. i have racked my brains, tried lots of things and hunted the forums and thanks to your advice it is sorted now.
next step gentoo. :D
best wishes,
derek
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: