[SOLVED]wifi and KDE going nuts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sergdev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]wifi and KDE going nuts Reply with quote

Hey guys!
Could you please help me to narrow down problem I faced on my gentoo ?
I turn on WIFI and KDE stop responding, but it works good when I use internet via usb tethering from my phone..... which is using my home wifi....
What should I look at ?

Last edited by sergdev on Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
sergdev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, I see nothing suspicious in the logs... and not sure how to debug it.
coderanger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: wifi and KDE going nuts Reply with quote

sergdev wrote:
I turn on WIFI and KDE stop responding
This needs to be clarified a little bit. You mean applications are not getting started after wifi connection has been established? But already running applications continue to run? If yes, that's most likely computer's hostname is changed when you connect wifi, the communication socket to X has hostname in it's path, and if it was changed then new applications search for a different file and silently fail to start. To check this assumption you need to check with hostname the box has before connecting to wifi, connect to wifi, check hostname again after wifi is connected (probably you will need to switch to terminal ctrl-alt-f3). It is possible to reconfigure the network software to ignore hostname provided by access point. Just let us know here if the hypothesis is your case.

If that's not the case, then we need more logs. Prepare log collectors before connecting to wifi, I do not know whether you're running openrc or systemd, so here's all the commands for both of them
Code:
# dmesg -w | tee /tmp/wifi_problem_dmesg.log
# tail -f /var/log/messages | tee /tmp/wifi_problem_messages.log
# journalctl -f | tee /tmp/wifi_problem_journalctl.log
connect to wifi and check changes in logs. Provide here (if they're too huge - use wgetpaste) so people can also see what happens during wifi connection.
sergdev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: wifi and KDE going nuts Reply with quote

coderanger wrote:
sergdev wrote:
I turn on WIFI and KDE stop responding
This needs to be clarified a little bit. You mean applications are not getting started after wifi connection has been established? But already running applications continue to run? If yes, that's most likely computer's hostname is changed when you connect wifi, the communication socket to X has hostname in it's path, and if it was changed then new applications search for a different file and silently fail to start. To check this assumption you need to check with hostname the box has before connecting to wifi, connect to wifi, check hostname again after wifi is connected (probably you will need to switch to terminal ctrl-alt-f3). It is possible to reconfigure the network software to ignore hostname provided by access point. Just let us know here if the hypothesis is your case.

If that's not the case, then we need more logs. Prepare log collectors before connecting to wifi, I do not know whether you're running openrc or systemd, so here's all the commands for both of them
Code:
# dmesg -w | tee /tmp/wifi_problem_dmesg.log
# tail -f /var/log/messages | tee /tmp/wifi_problem_messages.log
# journalctl -f | tee /tmp/wifi_problem_journalctl.log
connect to wifi and check changes in logs. Provide here (if they're too huge - use wgetpaste) so people can also see what happens during wifi connection.

Hi, thanks, the solution was easy, I simply reattached my wifi device to usb.... and it works now good.
I don't know why but after I do something in my windows and then restart to gentoo, I need to reattach usb device which is responsible for wifi stuff in my desktop pc.
But this time, I haven't loaded windows for a long time.... so it's strange.
sergdev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the symptom was: basically, I am not able to interact with any program, it's getting too slow,and each mouse action takes a lot of time..... especially when I try to start browser: firefox or chrome....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: