Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Actual requirements for building Chromium-85? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Actual requirements for building Chromium-85? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Wow, I have tried many times now to compile www-client/chromium-85 and it repeatedly fails with the following error message:

Code:

ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
 * ERROR: www-client/chromium-85.0.4183.83::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   ninja -v -j9 -l0 -C out/Release chrome chromedriver failed
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  125:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 4343:  Called eninja '-C' 'out/Release' 'chrome' 'chromedriver'
 *   environment, line 2040:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       "$@" || die "${nonfatal_args[@]}" "${*} failed"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=www-client/chromium-85.0.4183.83::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=www-client/chromium-85.0.4183.83::gentoo'`.
 * MemTotal:       24621104 kB
 * SwapTotal:        524284 kB

After looking through the full build log, I found:

Code:

../../base/bind_internal.h: In function ‘bool base::internal::QueryCancellationTraitsImpl(base::internal::BindStateBase::CancellationQueryMode, const Functor&, const BoundArgsTuple&, std::index_sequence<indices ...>) [with Functor = void (content::{anonymous}::LoginHandlerDelegate::*)(const base::Optional<net::AuthCredentials>&); BoundArgsTuple = std::tuple<base::WeakPtr<content::{anonymous}::LoginHandlerDelegate> >; long unsigned int ...indices = {0}]’:
../../base/bind_internal.h:773:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
../../base/bind_internal.h: In function ‘bool base::internal::QueryCancellationTraitsImpl(base::internal::BindStateBase::CancellationQueryMode, const Functor&, const BoundArgsTuple&, std::index_sequence<indices ...>) [with Functor = void (content::{anonymous}::LoginHandlerDelegate::*)(bool, const base::Optional<net::AuthCredentials>&); BoundArgsTuple = std::tuple<base::WeakPtr<content::{anonymous}::LoginHandlerDelegate> >; long unsigned int ...indices = {0}]’:
../../base/bind_internal.h:773:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
../../base/bind_internal.h: In function ‘bool base::internal::QueryCancellationTraitsImpl(base::internal::BindStateBase::CancellationQueryMode, const Functor&, const BoundArgsTuple&, std::index_sequence<indices ...>) [with Functor = void (content::StoragePartitionImpl::*)(base::OnceCallback<void()>); BoundArgsTuple = std::tuple<base::WeakPtr<content::StoragePartitionImpl>, base::OnceCallback<void()> >; long unsigned int ...indices = {0, 1}]’:
../../base/bind_internal.h: In function ‘bool base::internal::QueryCancellationTraitsImpl(base::internal::BindStateBase::CancellationQueryMode, const Functor&, const BoundArgsTuple&, std::index_sequence<indices ...>) [with Functor = void (content::StoragePartitionImpl::*)(); BoundArgsTuple = std::tuple<base::WeakPtr<content::StoragePartitionImpl> >; long unsigned int ...indices = {0}]’:

x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++: fatal error: Killed signal terminated program cc1plus
compilation terminated.

and, sure enough, dmesg confirmed:

Code:

[1721660.943760] oom-kill:constraint=CONSTRAINT_NONE,nodemask=(null),cpuset=/,mems_allowed=0,task=cc1plus,pid=12945,uid=250
[1721660.943766] Out of memory: Killed process 12945 (cc1plus) total-vm:5085268kB, anon-rss:3145056kB, file-rss:7952kB, shmem-rss:0kB, UID:250 pgtables:6640kB oom_score_adj:0
[1721661.035633] oom_reaper: reaped process 12945 (cc1plus), now anon-rss:0kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:0kB

Here is my current configuration:

Code:

# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l && grep MAKEOPTS /etc/portage/make.conf && grep -i portage /etc/fstab && free -m
MAKEOPTS="-j9"
tmpfs         /var/tmp/portage   tmpfs      size=12G,uid=portage,gid=portage,mode=775,noatime   0 0
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          24044         873       21907          31        1262       22886
Swap:           511           8         503

The only difference is that I had temporarily set the /var/tmp/portage tmpfs to 20G to see if that would help. :(

What are the actual requirements to build this monstrosity of an application these days?

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary

Last edited by NathanZachary on Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ionen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
MAKEOPTS="-j9"
tmpfs         /var/tmp/portage   tmpfs      size=12G,uid=portage,gid=portage,mode=775,noatime   0 0
Not sure for exact requirements but first don't use tmpfs for it, and then use a lower -jX value if that's not enough. You are running out of ram and using more ram from tmpfs being filled by a large build isn't going to help.

Use package.env to setup different settings just for it if preferred, wiki page gives an example for tmpfs too.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NathanZachary,

Code:
MAKEOPTS="-j9"
allow 2G RAM per make thread for big C++ builds, so gcc may want 18G RAM, all to itself.

tmpfs content can be moved to swap, if you have the swap space but that defeats the purpose a bit.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your recommendations! I think that I will try temporarily unmounting the tmpfs partition for /var/tmp/portage for the Chromium build. Maybe then it will complete without having to lower my MAKEOPTS for the build. I will continue to experiment.

Thanks again!
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did it on my machine. I didn't have to adjust my MAKEOPTS, but I did have to unmount /var/tmp/portage (tmpfs) to finish the compilation. Thanks for the suggestions!

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: