Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]GDM + nvidia + wayland = troubles after update.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]GDM + nvidia + wayland = troubles after update. Reply with quote

Hey guys, after I updated yesterday, many gnome packages were updated. I did read the news about the session but as I use Systemd I didn't care bout it. Today Xorg won't launch with my Nvidia card and so I cant use my external display, it just falls back to the intel card. This is the log output. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated since it's quite difficult to do my job without the big screen.

Code:
[155004.881] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:69
[155004.895] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[155004.895] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:68
[155004.917] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[155004.917] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 13:67
[155004.947] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Deleting GPU-0
[155004.948] (WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Input/output error
[155004.948] (WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Input/output error
[155004.948] (WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed: Input/output error
[155004.950] (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Greetings,

Edit: Solution, use -waylabnd global USE flag

Last edited by Skirmitch on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Banana
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please post, via wgetpase, the complete xorg log.

Did you update the kernel? A emerge @x11-module-rebuild -av should solve the problem, since nvidia needs to be build against the current kernel.
Ionen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you use them, what version of nvidia-drivers? I hope it's not 390, lot of recent nonsense regarding that one and becoming hard to keep up with how to make it work properly (especially with multi-gpu/offloading setups) when I don't use it myself.

Edit: seen the log you posted below, it's 450.66 so all good for that.

Last edited by Ionen on Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, there wasn't any kernel updates yesterday but a huge bunch of gnome related things. I did do the module rebuild as a possible fix but id didn't work, the modules are well built and all. Full Xorg log:

https://dpaste.com/AUKSQGDXX

Thanks for helping.

EDIT: Wait, for some weird reason, the beginning of that log says it's from this Sunday, not from today. I moved the logs /var/log/Xorg.1.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log to a temporary location, restarted my computer, but X didn't leave any new logs to replace these ones... So tbh I don't know where X is leaving the logs now or where is it taking the config file from, maybe it's not using my Nvidia config file, I'm absolutely confused now.
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I switch to another console while I'm on gnome and run startx, it does start X with the nvidia drivers on my normal screen!!!!!!!!!!! what the heck is this???????? I can have 2 X servers runing at the same time, one defaults to the monitor of my laptop and the other one uses the config file in /etx/X11/xorg.conf ????????? I'm absolutely baffled, I dont hate this behaviour but I dont understand whats going on, The one that starts automatically gonme at the startup is deff NOT using my normal Xorg, its using something else, thats why I dont get the logs, I'm terrified rofl, dunno what is going on. Any helps?

Edit: The only difference I find if I run from startx on another console, is that the pointer of the mouse, when passing over a link, is weird and its that old stile with the finger pointing to the side and not the one I normaly use. If I use the screen created by gnome session at startup, everything is normal but its not using my Nvidia Card. I'm absolutely lost.
Ionen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use *logind to know what it does, but my user-ran xorg leaves logs at ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log by default, maybe there?
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to be a copy of the one at /var/log. That one reacted normally till Sunday (hadn't turned off the computer since then and did it today), but since today, using the automatic startup, the logs don't go there, and its deff not using my config file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The server I start at startx does behave normally, just the mouse pointer is screwed but that's minor. As my Nvidia is hardwired to the hdmi output, for me its kinda mandatory that X starts automatically so it sends everything to the big screen immediately, that's why I have it configured like that. Seems to be a problem of logind then
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another symptom. If I use this trick I explained before to get to use the Nvidia card, the session gets pretty screwed, I lose logins on my sites and have to login everything again and stuff, dunno what's going on I would really like to fix it =(
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I just removed gdm from Systemd, it was causing me just too many problems =( I didnt want to but I need to work right now sadly.

UPDATE 2:

Ok, I found the culprit. Haven't tryed anything yet but whats described here about Wayland fits 100% in my situation and its probably whats causing the huge mess. Will try to solve it somehow later.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GNOME/GDM
Ionen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case wondering where wayland came from, it was enabled by default in gnome profiles on August 30, and been seeing someone on IRC have gdm issue few minutes ago... so likely same boat, not that I use gdm to know anything about it.
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
In case wondering where wayland came from, it was enabled by default in gnome profiles on August 30, and been seeing someone on IRC have gdm issue few minutes ago... so likely same boat, not that I use gdm to know anything about it.

Oh thanks for that infor man. I did a quick grep here and there and found this:

Code:
>=dev-libs/wayland-1.18.0 abi_x86_32
# required by x11-libs/gtk+-3.24.22::gentoo[wayland]
# required by x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme-3.36.1::gentoo
# required by x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.32-r1::gentoo
# required by app-i18n/ibus-1.5.22::gentoo[gtk2,X,gtk]
# required by dev-qt/qtgui-5.14.2-r1::gentoo[ibus]
# required by dev-qt/qtwayland-5.14.2::gentoo[X]

and I don't have the courage rn to start digging on how to remove it.
Ionen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skirmitch wrote:
Well, somewhat reverting profile change would just be adding */* -wayland to package.use (or add it to your make.conf's USE="", same thing), then running emerge -UD @world if portage doesn't complain (might need exceptions, some QT stuff will still depend on it though.. that's fine).

Although given it was made default I imagine gnome team will be working in that direction in the future and no idea where that'll lead, just keep in mind that you've disabled it if you do that.
Edit: maybe actual gnome users will have better advice for you :)
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
Skirmitch wrote:
Well, somewhat reverting profile change would just be adding */* -wayland to package.use (or add it to your make.conf's USE="", same thing), then running emerge -UD @world if portage doesn't complain (might need exceptions, some QT stuff will still depend on it though.. that's fine).

Although given it was made default I imagine gnome team will be working in that direction in the future and no idea where that'll lead, just keep in mind that you've disabled it if you do that.
Edit: maybe actual gnome users will have better advice for you :)

Dude you rock, that worked flawlessly, I'm a coward, I should have tried first.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: