No boot messages after kernel upgrade from 4.14 to 6.1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boerns
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject: No boot messages after kernel upgrade from 4.14 to 6.1 Reply with quote

Hi, I need to switch from the old stable kernel grom gentoo-sources to the new one. I manged to build in all the things my workstation needs. A simple make odconfig was not the first and second succuessfull way, but after comapring the .config files and searching in "make xconfig" I finally could manage to get my gentoo box booting and having all drivers back available.

What I am missing, is messages at boot time from kernel or the starting daemons I have activated.

I only see a black screen until the xserver login comes up. Looks nice, but not what I want.

How can I reneable the "old begaviour". I realized that recent Linuxes like Debian 9-12 or RHEL7-9 also only show nothing or a splash screen or logo. But I am a traditional and would like to see the boot mesaget in 80x25 like before.

I tried to activate FB in the kernel and checked some settings in grub.conf, but did not fopund the root cause.

Any hints? Googling only shows for ready made linuxes how to bring it back but that I tried.

My last unsucuessfull try was to set on the linux command line "debug" but that made the kernel not boot at all and I need to revert back....

Any hints for a gentoo linux with recent serlf compiled kernel?

Boerns
Banana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is dmesg which should help.
Also there should be a kernel option called something framebuffer.... I think this old thread could help: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1083076-start-0.html

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
pietinger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boerns,

if a "make oldconfig" is not successfull you really should do a completely new configuration of your new kernel. (I suggest 6.6 because it is already LTS and will be the next Gentoo stable in the near future).

Please note: You can check your needed modules not only with your old .config, check it also with a "lsmod" after booting with GentooLiveCD.

Maybe you are interested in:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_Configuring_Kernel_Version_6.6
and before (here you will find more checks before starting the configuration process):
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_kernel_configuration
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: No boot messages after kernel upgrade from 4.14 to 6.1 Reply with quote

boerns wrote:
Hi, I need to switch from the old stable kernel grom gentoo-sources to the new one. I manged to build in all the things my workstation needs. A simple make odconfig was not the first and second succuessfull way, but after comapring the .config files and searching in "make xconfig" I finally could manage to get my gentoo box booting and having all drivers back available.

What I am missing, is messages at boot time from kernel or the starting daemons I have activated.

I only see a black screen until the xserver login comes up. Looks nice, but not what I want.

How can I reneable the "old begaviour". I realized that recent Linuxes like Debian 9-12 or RHEL7-9 also only show nothing or a splash screen or logo. But I am a traditional and would like to see the boot mesaget in 80x25 like before.

I tried to activate FB in the kernel and checked some settings in grub.conf, but did not fopund the root cause.

Any hints? Googling only shows for ready made linuxes how to bring it back but that I tried.

My last unsucuessfull try was to set on the linux command line "debug" but that made the kernel not boot at all and I need to revert back....

Any hints for a gentoo linux with recent serlf compiled kernel?

Boerns

If you have CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DEFERRED_TAKEOVER=y, disable it. Also you need some FB drivers enabled.

The following are a must on an EFI system and should suffice:

Code:
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_FB_EFI=y

Depending on your hardware, there might be a specific driver you can enable, but some video drivers already include a FB driver, e.g. AMDGPU, so you might not need to add anything else.

Best Regards.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: