View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: X session fails with ATI Radeon HD 4670 - KMS /radeon driver Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm in trouble with an iMac (mid 2010) and its GPU ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 Mb. It seems the radeon free driver fails with it.

I've tried a plenty of GNU/Linux distributions. I could perform a complete install only with Gentoo, Debian 10, Ubuntu 20 and openSuse (15.1, successfully upgraded to 15.2 recently, and the open release Tumbleweed). In all cases, I need to add the "nomodeset" or "radeon.modeset=0" kernel parameter on boot in order not to get a frozen black screen right after loading the initramfs. Other distros I've tested give a black screen anyhow on Live CD; Debian and Ubuntu do the same on first post-install boot.

With opensuse, I can open a proper X session with desktop environment, still with nomodeset or radeon.modeset=0 parameter. It's perfectly suitable despite some display jaggedness. Tumbleweed even handles enjoyable transparency effects on Plasma desktop.

On Gentoo, install DVD could not load graphic mode and the whole install process was somehow epic, with several yet unclear hangs during world updates, kernel builds and grub installs. Boot on two installed 5.4.48 custom kernels ends up with kernel panic. I've eventually resorted to use a pre-built gentoo-kernel (5.4.40), capable of avoiding black screen (needless to say, with one of the imperative kernel parameters) and have a flawless boot (woah!), but X server fails to start. (I have no display manager installed)

Here are the last lines of Xorg.0.log:

Code:

(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[    49.999] (II) UnloadModule: "radeon"
[    49.999] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[    49.999] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[    49.999] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[    49.999] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
[    49.999] (II) UnloadSubModule: "fbdevhw"
[    49.999] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[    49.999] (EE) Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs        for all framebuffer devices
[    49.999] (EE)
[    49.999] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
[    49.999] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[    49.999] (EE)
[    50.016] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

Complete log is reachable there: http://dpaste.com/3VX4NBE.

Some more infos:

"# lsmod" there : http://dpaste.com/2EFJSE6

Code:

# lspci -k | grep -A2 -Ei "vga|display"
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV730/M96-XT [Mobility Radeon HD 4670]
        Subsystem: Apple Inc. RV730/M96-XT [Mobility Radeon HD 4670]
        Kernel modules: radeon

Code:
 # modprobe radeon
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'radeon': Invalid argument

though radeon module does exist... Is it because modesetting is deactivated on boot, or am I missing something?

Code:
# less /proc/config.gz |grep -i radeon
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_USERPTR=y
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set

Could setting this last parameter help for something?

Code:

mac ~ # less /proc/config.gz |grep -i amd
CONFIG_X86_AMD_PLATFORM_DEVICE=y
CONFIG_CPU_SUP_AMD=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_AMD=y
CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS_AMD_POWER=m
CONFIG_MICROCODE_AMD=y
CONFIG_AMD_MEM_ENCRYPT=y
# CONFIG_AMD_MEM_ENCRYPT_ACTIVE_BY_DEFAULT is not set
CONFIG_AMD_NUMA=y
CONFIG_X86_AMD_FREQ_SENSITIVITY=m
CONFIG_AMD_NB=y
CONFIG_KVM_AMD=m
CONFIG_KVM_AMD_SEV=y
CONFIG_MTD_CFI_AMDSTD=m
CONFIG_MTD_AMD76XROM=m
CONFIG_PATA_AMD=m
CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_AMD=y
CONFIG_AMD8111_ETH=m
CONFIG_AMD_XGBE=m
CONFIG_AMD_XGBE_DCB=y
CONFIG_AMD_XGBE_HAVE_ECC=y
CONFIG_AMD_PHY=m
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_AMD=m
CONFIG_I2C_AMD756=m
CONFIG_I2C_AMD756_S4882=m
CONFIG_I2C_AMD8111=m
CONFIG_I2C_AMD_MP2=m
CONFIG_PINCTRL_AMD=m
CONFIG_GPIO_AMDPT=m
CONFIG_GPIO_AMD_FCH=m
CONFIG_GPIO_AMD8111=m
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=m
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU=m
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR=y
# CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_GART_DEBUGFS is not set
CONFIG_DRM_AMD_ACP=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_DCN1_0=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_DCN2_0=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_DCN2_1=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_DSC_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_HSA_AMD=y
CONFIG_SND_SOC_AMD_ACP=m
CONFIG_SND_SOC_AMD_CZ_DA7219MX98357_MACH=m
CONFIG_SND_SOC_AMD_CZ_RT5645_MACH=m
CONFIG_SND_SOC_AMD_ACP3x=m
CONFIG_USB_AMD5536UDC=m
CONFIG_EDAC_AMD64=m
# CONFIG_EDAC_AMD64_ERROR_INJECTION is not set
CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU=y
CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU_V2=y
CONFIG_NTB_AMD=m

ATI proprietary driver should not be suitable since it only supports up to Xserver 1.12 and Linux kernel 3.4 (see https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-radeon-hd-4000-series/ati-radeon-hd-4670 ). However, an install trial results in:

Code:
Check if system has the tools required for installation.
fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers.  /lib/modules/5.4.40/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver.
Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.

It doesn't find the headers, although they're installed (I could not figure out where they are myselg, I thought they were part of kernel sources, but actually they are a separated package; those are cryptic considerations for me and I don't think it's key to solve my problem).

My technical skills are restricted, but I'd really like to figure out why and how others fail when openSuse succeeds. Is it a specific kernel patch or parameter? And if it does, shouldn't be Gentoo able to do the same, or shouldn't there be any workaround?

Any idea is welcome to help investigate that issue.

Last edited by Pums on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post the following outputs?

• dmesg
  • emerge --info

Last edited by DaggyStyle on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to point out, I mustn't have nomodeset or radeon.modeset=0 set in your kernel or less the driver must probably won't work.
can you also post the entire .config?

note that you don't need CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU at all
Pums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for help.

$ dmesg > http://dpaste.com/1ZPKCJK

$ less /usr/src/linux/.config > http://dpaste.com/3SKWYRX

(as I've said, it's the default config of gentoo-kernel package since I could not build an usual custom kernel)

Code:
$ emerge --info
Portage 2.3.99 (python 3.7.8-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop, gcc-9.3.0, glibc-2.30-r8, 5.4.40 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-5.4.40-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i3_CPU_540_@_3.07GHz-with-gentoo-2.6
KiB Mem:    16390136 total,  16146008 free
KiB Swap:   17411064 total,  17411064 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 23:30:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: aa159e51bb9c563de948887ab9311af1627db519
sh bash 5.0_p17
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.33.1 p2) 2.33.1
app-shells/bash:          5.0_p17::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.30.3::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.18::gentoo, 3.7.8-r1::gentoo, 3.8.3-r1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.16.5::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.6-r1::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.42.1::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.18::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13-r1::gentoo, 2.69-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.16.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.33.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            9.3.0::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     2.3::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r6::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1-r4::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 5.4-r1::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.30-r8::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://192.168.1.6/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes
    sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1
    sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 24

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=westmere -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -mcx16 -msahf -mpopcnt -msse4.2 -msse4.1 -mfxsr --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=4096 -mtune=westmere -fstack-protector-strong -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=westmere -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -mcx16 -msahf -mpopcnt -msse4.2 -msse4.1 -mfxsr --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=4096 -mtune=westmere -fstack-protector-strong -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/var/cache/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GOBIN GOPATH PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
FCFLAGS="-march=westmere -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -mcx16 -msahf -mpopcnt -msse4.2 -msse4.1 -mfxsr --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=4096 -mtune=westmere -fstack-protector-strong -O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox preserve-libs protect-owned qa-unresolved-soname-deps sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-march=westmere -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -mcx16 -msahf -mpopcnt -msse4.2 -msse4.1 -mfxsr --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=4096 -mtune=westmere -fstack-protector-strong -O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.gentoo.org/ http://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.gentoo.org/ http://gentoo.mirrors.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/ https://mirrors.soeasyto.com/distfiles.gentoo.org/ ftp://mirrors.soeasyto.com/distfiles.gentoo.org/ http://mirrors.soeasyto.com/distfiles.gentoo.org/"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PKGDIR="/var/cache/binpkgs"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 berkdb branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli crypt dbus dri dts dvd dvdr elogind emboss encode exif flac fortran gdbm gif gpm gtk iconv icu ipv6 jpeg lcms ldap libnotify libtirpc mad mng mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppds qt5 readline sdl seccomp spell split-usr ssl startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis wifi wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64" ADA_TARGET="gnat_2018" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php7-2" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres10 postgres11" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_7" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby25" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="radeon vesa" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

(I run a local rsync Gentoo mirror, see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Local_Mirror , it works without a problem)

About your second message, I'm not sure to understand what you actually mean. To make it clear in case it's not, adding nomodeset or radeon.modeset=0 kernel parameter on boot is the only way I've found not to have a frozen black screen immediately. OpenSuse handles it and manages to open X session (with those two related messages "[drm] VGACON disable radeon kernel modesetting." and "drm:radeon_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!" on boot).
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from your dmesg:
Code:
[   10.286269] [drm:init_module [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!

as said, you cannot load drm without modeset.

the reason modeset doesn't work is because you are missing the relevant firmware in the kernel.
consult this for more information.
Pums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
from your dmesg:
Code:
[   10.286269] [drm:init_module [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!

as said, you cannot load drm without modeset.

the reason modeset doesn't work is because you are missing the relevant firmware in the kernel.
consult this for more information.

I've managed to make a new kernel 5.4.48, retrieving config from gentoo-kernel and adding the firmware matching with my GPU, "radeon/R700_rlc.bin radeon/RV730_smc.bin radeon/RV710_uvd.bin radeon/RV730_me.bin radeon/RV730_pfp.bin", according to the page you mentioned. I still have a black screen on boot without "nomodeset"; with nomodeset, just like previously, boot is ok but X returns the same error.

Complete config file : http://dpaste.com/1J8RTH6

It seems not as clear as you say, or I do miss something. And the fact is that openSuse (only, until now) can have a X session working with the same conditions.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you installed the fw pkg, e.g. sys-kernel/linux-firmware?

can you provide dmesg from the bad boot? either via ssh or syslog-ng and such?
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try adding the fw of 710 too
theotherjoe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/RV730_me.bin radeon/RV730_pfp.bin radeon/RV730_smc.bin radeon/R700_rlc.bin radeon/RV710_uvd.bin"

these are the firmware blobs needed for a HD4670 to work properly.
Pums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theotherjoe wrote:
Code:
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/RV730_me.bin radeon/RV730_pfp.bin radeon/RV730_smc.bin radeon/R700_rlc.bin radeon/RV710_uvd.bin"

these are the firmware blobs needed for a HD4670 to work properly.

Exactly the ones I've added:

Code:
$ zcat /proc/config.gz |grep radeon
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/R700_rlc.bin radeon/RV730_smc.bin radeon/RV710_uvd.bin radeon/RV730_me.bin radeon/RV730_pfp.bin"
Pums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
have you installed the fw pkg, e.g. sys-kernel/linux-firmware?

Yes.

Code:
 $ eix linux-firmware
[I] sys-kernel/linux-firmware
     Available versions:  20200316^bsd 20200421^bsd 20200519^bsd 20200619^bsd **99999999*l^bsd {initramfs +redistributable savedconfig unknown-license}
     Installed versions:  20200619^bs(06:54:58 PM 07/09/2020)(redistributable -initramfs -savedconfig -unknown-license)

DaggyStyle wrote:
can you provide dmesg from the bad boot? either via ssh or syslog-ng and such?

Yes (ssh): $ dmesg > http://dpaste.com/15KPQK7

Now "radeon kernel modesetting enabled.", but I still get a blackscreen (now some seconds after openrc is launched; before, I could only see "loading initramfs").

DaggyStyle wrote:

try adding the fw of 710 too

I can't find it:

Code:
$ eix *710*
No matches found

Or do you mean adding also the firmwares blobs for RV710 mentionned on the Radeon wiki's page?

Last edited by Pums on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dmesg show the module is loaded successfully.
if you disable X, do you get to login on screen?
Pums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
the dmesg show the module is loaded successfully.
if you disable X, do you get to login on screen?

X isn't enabled. I have no display manager installed, I need to launch it manually.

I can't get to login screen if I don't deactivate modesetting.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try disabling CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE and check again
if not working try kernel 5.4.48 or kernel 4.19.129
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pums,

Please pastebin /var/log/Xorg.0.log so we can see what Xorg does when it starts.

Code:
[   13.134529] fbcon: radeondrmfb (fb0) is primary device
[   13.175111] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 240x67
[   13.182091] radeon 0000:01:00.0: fb0: radeondrmfb frame buffer device
says that your kernel is probably OK.

Your root filesystem is mounted at
Code:
[    5.493167] EXT4-fs (sda10): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
which is a long time before the radeon drive is initalised, so I guess you have in set as a module. That's fine.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Pums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Please pastebin /var/log/Xorg.0.log so we can see what Xorg does when it starts.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://dpaste.com/2WMSS8Y

Previously, I tried to launch "startx" "blindly" twice (though I've no screen, I can access ttys, login, run commands...). In case it case help, these are the two Xorg.0.log I've gotten: http://dpaste.com/2DGQHND and http://dpaste.com/1A6W6FT.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pums wrote:
Thanks for your help.

NeddySeagoon wrote:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://dpaste.com/2WMSS8Y

Previously, I tried to launch "startx" "blindly" twice (though I've no screen, I can access ttys, login, run commands...). In case it case help, these are the two Xorg.0.log I've gotten: http://dpaste.com/2DGQHND and http://dpaste.com/1A6W6FT.

dbus is working?
Pums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

I'm currently using 5.4.48. I could not make custom kernel from 5.4.40 since with gentoo-kernel sources are not available (I use default last stable packages in my whole world set). As stated before, I retrieved gentoo-kernel config, oldconfiged it on gentoo-sources 5.4.48 and added the firmwares.

I may try to make a new 4.19.129 kernel if nothing else works but actually it's long and "painful" with that comp (as I've said in my first message, it often hangs for unknwon reason on large building processes; last night yet, It hung during gcc update). Why do you think it'd work with that kernel?
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pums wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

I'm currently using 5.4.48. I could not make custom kernel from 5.4.40 since with gentoo-kernel sources are not available (I use default last stable packages in my whole world set). As stated before, I retrieved gentoo-kernel config, oldconfiged it on gentoo-sources 5.4.48 and added the firmwares.

I may try to make a new 4.19.129 kernel if nothing else works but actually it's long and "painful" with that comp (as I've said in my first message, it often hangs for unknwon reason on large building processes; last night yet, It hung during gcc update). Why do you think it'd work with that kernel?

it isn't far fetched that a kernel will have a bug.
if your system hungs during load, I think you should look at it first as it might have a connection to what you see.
I had a laptop with gentoo on it which misbehaved because the gpu fan has wore out.
Pums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

dbus is working?

Dbus isn't even installed; but X doesn't need it. For the moment, I've installed Lumina desktop that doesn't need it either (see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Lumina.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pums wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

dbus is working?

Dbus isn't even installed; but X doesn't need it. For the moment, I've installed Lumina desktop that doesn't need it either (see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Lumina.

you have dbus errors in Xorg.log, bot sure how much it is related
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pums,

Your log ends with
Code:
[   557.528] (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

That means that Xorg started properly, its using the radeon driver, found nothing to do and quit.

Run
Code:
emerge -1av twm xclock xterm
Its a number of small packges.
When that completes, I expect startx to show you three xterms and an analogue clock all wrapped up in twm.

twm only uses the primary mouse button.

If you have a ~/.xinitrc, rename it so its not found.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Pums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

it isn't far fetched that a kernel will have a bug.

In absolute terms it is not. But in the specific case of this mac and its GPU, considering that I could not have X working properly with anyone of the numerous distributions I've tried, among them Debian 10 (with Linux 4.19), Fedora 29, 30, 31 and 32, Manjaro, Bodhi Linux 5.1, Mageia 7.1, Linuxmint 17, Linux Lite 4.8,, (X)Ubuntu 18 and 20, and considering that openSuse does it from Leap 15.1 (Linux 4.19) to Tumbleweed (5.7), including Leap 15.2 (5.3.18 ), it seems to me a bit far fetched to suppose it'd be a version specific kernel bug. I may be wrong since I'm a newbie and sure I don't know and misunderstand many things, I aim to learn and understand.

DaggyStyle wrote:

if your system hungs during load, I think you should look at it first as it might have a connection to what you see.
I had a laptop with gentoo on it which misbehaved because the gpu fan has wore out.

It's an iMac, impossible to open and have a peek inside without a professional equipment I have not, would cost an arm and a leg to have it done by a professional, that old computer doesn't worth it anyway.

I hope it's not a more specific hardware issue like the one you've had. Nevertheless, macOS still works perfectly on it and I've never had a problem of such but on Gentoo.

I guess it must be full of dust inside, I'll have to do with it (I could take off a handful of dust from the ram compartment which is the only screw closed part). The "case" (I don't know if it's the proper word) easily heats, I presume it can explain it hangs during hard loads. However I don't know how I can check this out. The screen freezes, ssh stops, I can't do anything but a hard reboot. I'll try reducing MAKEOPTS from -j5 to -j3 (it's a quadcore).

Last edited by Pums on Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pums
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Your log ends with
Code:
[   557.528] (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

That means that Xorg started properly, its using the radeon driver, found nothing to do and quit.

Run
Code:
emerge -1av twm xclock xterm
Its a number of small packges.
When that completes, I expect startx to show you three xterms and an analogue clock all wrapped up in twm.

twm only uses the primary mouse button.

If you have a ~/.xinitrc, rename it so its not found.

I have already those packages installed (I always install them along with Xserver since they are necessary to start a basic X session).

I have two regular users accounts, one has .xinitrc set for starting Lumina, and the other doesn't have .xinitrc. It does not change anything.

I don't think it's the problem anyway: when the server says it terminated successfully, my screen is totally black since boot time (it becomes black after displaying some regular lines of openrc launching services). I've started X "blindly", I mean with absolute black screen, I do the same I would if display was ok: ctrl+alt+F2, username, password, startx. but I can't see anything on the screen.

Last edited by Pums on Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pums,

You can keep an eye on temperatures with lm-sensors.
Thermal problems can lead to system lockups.

About the only thing to do as you don't want to open the box, is reduce the thermal load.
You can do that by reducing
Code:
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
to say -j2 or -j3.

As you have all the possible drivers for your Radeon card installed, lets try a different one.
Code:
[   379.205] (==) Matched radeon as autoconfigured driver 0
[   379.205] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 1
[   379.205] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 2
[   379.205] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3
[   379.205] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 4

Modesetting is nice and simple.

Make a file called /etc/X11/xorg.conf with the content
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "OnBoard Radeon"
    Driver      "modesetting"
#    BusID  "pci:bus:dev:func"
EndSection

Its possible you mad need to fill in the BusID entry.
With that file in place, Xog will use the modesetting driver or fail.

Run startx (no reboot required) and pastebin the log. I would be happy for you to get a picture with any driver right now.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: