View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neyuru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Intel graphics configuration Reply with quote

I thought I understood it but now can't figure out which combination to use:

Classic vs Gallium
intel vs modesetting
video_cards_intel vs video_cards_i915 vs video_cards_i965 vs video_cards_iris
xorg drivers vs mesa drivers

:?:

So far, I prefer placing "intel" driver in xorg.conf, as the modesetting drivers leave screen tearing. I have a Broadwell P6300 iris graphics (Gen 8 ). After reading the gentoo wiki and the most recent forum post I am still confused as to what is the best combination of USE flags and USE_EXPAND to use. Common sense tells me that if there are two options for drivers: "classic and gallium" then only one of them should be installed (in mesa) at once but, they can and I don't understand why, shouldn't they be mutually exclusive?. I've also tried to combine classic with (intel or modesetting) and gallium with (intel or modesetting) and frankly, I can't figure out why this can be done.

And what about vaapi:

vaapi use flag vs x11-libs/libva-intel-media-driver ?

according to upstream,

Quote:
The Intel(R) Media Driver for VAAPI is a new VA-API (Video Acceleration API) user mode driver supporting hardware accelerated decoding, encoding, and video post processing for GEN based graphics hardware.

so why doesn't the gentoo vaapi wiki recommend installing it?

totally, utterly confused. :cry:
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Intel graphics configuration Reply with quote

neyuru wrote:
I thought I understood it but now can't figure out which combination to use:

Classic vs Gallium
intel vs modesetting
video_cards_intel vs video_cards_i915 vs video_cards_i965 vs video_cards_iris
xorg drivers vs mesa drivers

:?:

So far, I prefer placing "intel" driver in xorg.conf, as the modesetting drivers leave screen tearing. I have a Broadwell P6300 iris graphics (Gen 8 ). After reading the gentoo wiki and the most recent forum post I am still confused as to what is the best combination of USE flags and USE_EXPAND to use. Common sense tells me that if there are two options for drivers: "classic and gallium" then only one of them should be installed (in mesa) at once but, they can and I don't understand why, shouldn't they be mutually exclusive?. I've also tried to combine classic with (intel or modesetting) and gallium with (intel or modesetting) and frankly, I can't figure out why this can be done.

And what about vaapi:

vaapi use flag vs x11-libs/libva-intel-media-driver ?

according to upstream,

Quote:
The Intel(R) Media Driver for VAAPI is a new VA-API (Video Acceleration API) user mode driver supporting hardware accelerated decoding, encoding, and video post processing for GEN based graphics hardware.

so why doesn't the gentoo vaapi wiki recommend installing it?

totally, utterly confused. :cry:

Yep, confusing, now as well with iris ... What I remember from when I setup my laptop 2 years ago is i965 will override intel, That is, if both options are enabled in VIDEO_DRIVERS, x86-video-intel will not be installed.
It may have changed ... :)

What I have now, I believe on pre-iris video-chip is

VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965", with a comment that i956 overrides intel for installed driver, but intel option is needed for some packages :)

As the result the driver used is modesetting. xf86-video-intel is not installed. I never had eny tearing, and modesetting felt a bit snappier getting out of hibernation, but really marginally.

mesa is compiled with both classic and gallium options,

Basically, I feel that iris is a new intel effort, and if your chipset is supported you should try it.
neyuru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have resorted to enable everything that seems to support my gpu (Broadwell 8th gen iris P6300): 'VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965 iris"' The only other thing I can configure is to decide which driver to use: intel or modesetting. But I would really wish to know is if, for example, each of those two "driver versions" are present in i965 or iris. In other words, does enabling iris in make.conf make any difference for the choice of either intel or modesetting? And the same for i965... :? Like this:

Option 1: i965 with intel
Option 2: i965 with modesetting
Option 3: iris with intel
Option 4: iris with modesetiing
grumblebear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should read that other forum thread again.

i965 and iris is for mesa (3D accelleration). Your graphics supports the new iris driver, so if you enable both, newer mesa will use iris, because that is now the default driver.

Modesetting or intel affects basic 2D accelleration. You can configure which one is used in xorg.conf. Having intel in make.conf is needer for some other packages, so you would leave that in anyway. Having i965 in make.conf prevents automatic pulling of the old intel driver, which is not the case for iris alone. See the bug report mentioned in the other thread.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumblebear wrote:
Maybe you should read that other forum thread again.

i965 and iris is for mesa (3D accelleration). Your graphics supports the new iris driver, so if you enable both, newer mesa will use iris, because that is now the default driver.

Modesetting or intel affects basic 2D accelleration. You can configure which one is used in xorg.conf. Having intel in make.conf is needer for some other packages, so you would leave that in anyway. Having i965 in make.conf prevents automatic pulling of the old intel driver, which is not the case for iris alone. See the bug report mentioned in the other thread.

So it is somewhat a mess :) And you have not yet touched on "classic" versus "gallium" :)
grumblebear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is easy, I believe. i965 is a "classic" driver and iris is a Gallium driver.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumblebear wrote:
That is easy, I believe. i965 is a "classic" driver and iris is a Gallium driver.

Yes, but then .... from mesa ebuild

Code:

video_cards_intel?  ( classic )
        video_cards_i915?   ( || ( classic gallium ) )
        video_cards_i965?   ( classic )
        video_cards_iris?   ( gallium )

there is i915 where you can choose :)
grumblebear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because there are tow different i915 drivers, the old classic one and a newer Gallium based driver. Both are only intended for older Intel hardware, though.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumblebear wrote:
That's because there are tow different i915 drivers, the old classic one and a newer Gallium based driver. Both are only intended for older Intel hardware, though.

So there is gallium-based driver for older intel hardware, but not, say, for 3 year old Gen 7 which I have ?

A sidestep, what option should I use for Mesa (classic, gallium, nothing) if I have nvidia card with proprietary nvidia-drivers ?
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also confused. :(
My laptop has Intel N5000 CPU with
Code:
# lspci | grep VGA                                                   
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 605 (rev 03)

I haven't yet figured out which diver is the correct one. :|
I guess more RTFM'ing from somewhere is needed.

EDIT: I think it belongs to Skylake family...
It might actually be a decent GPU what comes to intel offerings: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel#Feature_support
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumblebear wrote:

Thanks grumblebea a lot ! I finally think I start understanding it. My confusion stemmed from the fact that i965 was an option not only to Mesa, but also to xorg-drtivers, while iris, somehow is not an option for xorg-drivers.

So I see we have the following actions

1) i965 - as 2D driver sets modesetting through being an option to xorg-drivers and overriding intel driver. Requires 'classic' as 3D infrastructure in Mesa
2) intel - installs oldstyle 2D driver, through flag to xorg-drivers, if not overwritten by i965. Requires 'classic' as 3D in Mesa
3) iris - does nothing to choose 2D driver (not used as flag to xorg-drivers) . Uses 'gallium' for 3D in Mesa

side issue ' video_cards_intel' is the only intel related option to libdrm. Is it needed there irrespectively of using i965 or iris ?
grumblebear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:

side issue ' video_cards_intel' is the only intel related option to libdrm. Is it needed there irrespectively of using i965 or iris ?

As libdrm is a low level library, something like the glue between the i915 kernel driver and mesa's drivers, I think it is absolutely necessary to build with video_cards_intel for all intel drivers.
neyuru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the USE flags mesa utilizes (some of the omitted to save space):

equery uses mesa
Code:
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for media-libs/mesa-20.0.8:
 U I
 + + X                    : Add support for X11
 - - abi_x86_32           : 32-bit (x86) libraries
 + + classic              : Build drivers based on the classic architecture.
 - - d3d9                 : Enable Direct 3D9 API through Nine state tracker. Can be used together with patched wine.
 - - debug                : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Backtraces
 + + dri3                 : Enable DRI3 support.
 + + egl                  : Enable EGL support.
 + + gallium              : Build drivers based on Gallium3D, the new architecture for 3D graphics drivers.
 + + gbm                  : Enable the Graphics Buffer Manager for EGL on KMS.
 - - gles1                : Enable GLESv1 support.
 + + gles2                : Enable GLESv2 support.
 + + libglvnd             : Use libglvnd for dispatch.
 + + llvm                 : Enable LLVM backend for Gallium3D.
 + + lm-sensors           : Enable Gallium HUD lm-sensors support.
 - - opencl               : Enable the Clover Gallium OpenCL state tracker.
 - - osmesa               : Build the Mesa library for off-screen rendering.
 - - test                 : Enable dependencies and/or preparations necessary to run tests (usually controlled by FEATURES=test but can be toggled independently)
 - - unwind               : Add support for call stack unwinding and function name resolution
 + + vaapi                : Enable Video Acceleration API for hardware decoding
 - - valgrind             : Compile in valgrind memory hints
 + + vdpau                : Enable the VDPAU acceleration interface for the Gallium3D Video Layer.
 - - video_cards_i915     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i915 video cards
 + + video_cards_i965     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i965 video cards
 + + video_cards_intel    : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards
 + + video_cards_iris     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards Gen8 / Broadwell or newer

- - vulkan               : Enable Vulkan drivers
 - - vulkan-overlay       : Build vulkan-overlay-layer which displays Frames Per Second and other statistics
 - - wayland              : Enable support for dev-libs/wayland
 - - xa                   : Enable the XA (X Acceleration) API for Gallium3D.
 - - xvmc                 : Enable the XvMC acceleration interface for the Gallium3D Video Layer.
 + + zstd                 : Enable support for ZSTD compression

Mesa does have classic, but gallium can be activated concurrently. Does this mean that if gallium is not activated, all is treated like classic? But then there's iris which supposedly is a gallium driver. But if I enable iris but not gallium, what happens? This is the kind of confusion a user might come by. Another one: if you enable both xvmc and vaapi (because you don't know better or you're confused), which one is utilized? Does the final decision depends on which driver you enable? But what if you enable a collection of drivers? (e.g. i915, intel, iris). Furthermore:

If I have a gen 8 gpu, enable iris on mesa but i965 on xorg-drivers, what does this mean?

equery uses xorg-drivers
Code:
 * Found these USE flags for x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.20-r2:
 U I
 - - video_cards_i915          : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i915 video cards
 + + video_cards_i965          : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i965 video cards
 + + video_cards_intel         : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards
 - - video_cards_mga           : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for mga video cards
 - - video_cards_nouveau       : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build reverse-engineered driver for nvidia cards
 - - video_cards_nv            : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for nv video cards
 + + video_cards_nvidia        : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for nvidia video cards
 - - video_cards_qxl           : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for qxl (QEMU virtual GPU)
 - - video_cards_r128          : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for ATI r128 video cards
 - - video_cards_radeon        : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for ATI radeon video cards
 - - video_cards_radeonsi      : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only Southern Islands based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_siliconmotion : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for siliconmotion video cards
 - - video_cards_vesa          : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for vesa video cards
 - - video_cards_via           : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for via video cards
 - - video_cards_virtualbox    : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for virtualbox emulation
 - - video_cards_vmware        : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for vmware video cards

Here are the other packages that use video_cards in my system:

equery uses libva
Code:
 * Found these USE flags for x11-libs/libva-2.5.0-r1:
 U I
 + + X                   : Add support for X11
 - - abi_x86_32          : 32-bit (x86) libraries
 + + drm                 : Enables VA/DRM API support.
 + + opengl              : Add support for OpenGL (3D graphics)
 - - utils               : Install VA-API utility programs.
 + + vdpau               : Enable the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix acceleration interface
 + + video_cards_i965    : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i965 video cards
 + + video_cards_intel   : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards
 - - video_cards_nouveau : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build reverse-engineered driver for nvidia cards
 + + video_cards_nvidia  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for nvidia video cards
 - - wayland             : Enable dev-libs/wayland backend

equery uses pm-utils
Code:
 * Found these USE flags for sys-power/pm-utils-1.4.1-r7:
 U I
 + + alsa               : Add support for media-libs/alsa-lib (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture)
 - - debug              : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Backtraces
 - - ntp                : Install support for net-misc/ntp
 + + video_cards_intel  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards
 - - video_cards_radeon : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for ATI radeon video cards

equery uses libdrm
Code:
 * Found these USE flags for x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.100:
 U I
 - - abi_x86_32          : 32-bit (x86) libraries
 - - libkms              : Enable building of libkms, a library for applications to interface with KMS
 - - valgrind            : Compile in valgrind memory hints
 - - video_cards_amdgpu  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for AMDGPU video cards
 + + video_cards_intel   : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards
 - - video_cards_nouveau : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build reverse-engineered driver for nvidia cards
 - - video_cards_radeon  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for ATI radeon video cards
 - - video_cards_vmware  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for vmware video cards

For me, the description
Quote:
VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for XXX video cards

is not very helpful as it is the same no matter if you are viewing mesa, xorg, libva, libdrm, or whatever... but they are clearly for different purposes, as have been laid out here in the comments. :?
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi neyuru

I was just looking (again) on mesa ebuild and

xvmc is ignored if video cards are not r600 or nouveau
vaapi is ignored if video cards are not r600, radeonsi or nouveau

all are ignored independently on card if gallium is not set.

But for some combinations of flags you specified emerge will just fail. Say iris require gallium, so

Code:

> USE='-gallium'  VIDEO_CARDS='iris' emerge -pv mesa

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies \

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for media-libs/mesa
... done!

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "mesa" has unmet requirements.
- media-libs/mesa-20.0.8::gentoo USE="X classic dri3 egl gbm gles2 wayland zstd -d3d9 -debug -gallium -gles1 -libglvnd -llvm -lm-sensors -opencl -osmesa (-selinux) -test -unwind -vaapi -valgrind -vdpau -vulkan -vulkan-overlay -xa -xvmc" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" VIDEO_CARDS="iris (-freedreno) -i915 -i965 -intel (-lima) -nouveau (-panfrost) -r100 -r200 -r300 -r600 -radeon -radeonsi (-vc4) -virgl (-vivante) -vmware"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    video_cards_iris? ( gallium )

And yes, I hate when USE flag description repeats some general thing while serving different purposes in different packages.
neyuru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

dmpogo wrote:
But for some combinations of flags you specified emerge will just fail. Say iris require gallium, so

yes, I forgot that prior to that I added media-libs/mesa gallium in my package.use file, so that message never arrived =p
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neyuru wrote:
Hello!

dmpogo wrote:

yes, I forgot that prior to that I added media-libs/mesa gallium in my package.use file, so that message never arrived =p

So I now have

VIDEO_CARDS='intel i965 iris'
mesa is compiled with USE='classic gallium'

xorg have no special configuration for driver choice. Gen 9 GPU

What I get (you can check your Xorg.0.log)

1) x86-video-intel is not installed (video_cards_i965 choice in xorg-drivers blocks installation)
2) as a result kernel modesetting driver is used
3) DRI driver is iris (both i965 ( uses classic) and iris (uses gallium) DRI drivers are installed by mesa, default as I found prefers iris). If either classic or gallium were not enabled, emerge would fail, since both architectures are needed, for i965 and iris respectively.
4) libdrm is compiled with video_cards_intel for whatever it does.

If I did it package by package I would have achieved the same result with

Code:

VIDEO_CARDS='i965'   emerge xorg-drivers
VIDEO_CARDS='iris' USE='-classic gallium' emerge mesa
VIDEO_CARDS='intel'   emerge libdrm

using global VIDEO_CARDS setting basically compiles unused classical i965 dri driver in mesa
neyuru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use vaapi? If so, does vaapi work with your iris implementation?
neyuru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.g. what happens when you run
Code:
vainfo
(Assuming libva-utils is installed and vaapi use flag is enabled)?
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neyuru wrote:
e.g. what happens when you run
Code:
vainfo
(Assuming libva-utils is installed and vaapi use flag is enabled)?

Hm, vaapi USE flag in enabled, but vainfo fails

Code:

grizzly ~ # vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 1.5.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/va/drivers/iris_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

I'll try it with i965_dry_video.so, but later, cannot reboot right now.

Oo, I see, USE='vaapi' is actually ignored by mesa for intel drivers (used only for r600, radeonsi and nouveau

EDIT: Ok for vaapi to work with iris, one needs to install libva-intel-media-driver, instead of (or in addition to) libva-intel-driver which gives vaapi to i965.

Unfortumately libva-intel-media-driver is unstable ~amd64 only, and latest version will require untable libva as well. After that it all works

Code:

vainfo

libva info: VA-API version 1.7.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/va/drivers/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_7
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.7 (libva 2.5.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel iHD driver for Intel(R) Gen Graphics - 20.1.1 ()
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointStats
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointFEI
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointFEI
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointEncPicture
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointFEI
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointFEI
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileVP9Profile0            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile2            : VAEntrypointVLD
neyuru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:

EDIT: Ok for vaapi to work with iris, one needs to install libva-intel-media-driver, instead of (or in addition to) libva-intel-driver which gives vaapi to i965.

Interesting, I was wondering that since post #1 hehe. I'm going to try emerging an iris only driver with vaapi without explicitly installing libva-intel-media-driver. My guess is that portage it will not automatically pull that last package (I also got the same error before but this time I will try being more cautious and explicit in the use of use flags). This is in contrast to when a dependency is automatically pulled in most ebuilds. If this is the case, maybe a bug report is on the verge of being issued :roll:
neyuru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know why gles2 egl is selected by default on mesa?
neyuru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that hasn't been covered (I think):

Xorg has two options: modesetting or intel

Do each of these two options work with any of the video_cards_xyz of the mesa driver (the VIDEO_CARDS use flags)?
grumblebear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are not so involved as you might imagine. The choice of modesetting or intel driver for Xorg has nothing to do with mesa.

Similarly, libva-intel-driver and libva-intel-media-driver should work with both, i965 and iris. The latter, like iris, is a newer development with support for more codecs and more recent hardware.
neyuru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumblebear wrote:
Things are not so involved as you might imagine. The choice of modesetting or intel driver for Xorg has nothing to do with mesa.

Similarly, libva-intel-driver and libva-intel-media-driver should work with both, i965 and iris. The latter, like iris, is a newer development with support for more codecs and more recent hardware.

Excellent, thanks!

I would pledge for the gentoo documentation maintainers to expand on these issues on the wiki. A simple grunt like myself has access only to the "discussion pages" of the wiki and, if one posts there, there are mixed results (sometimes a person responds, sometimes not... from personal experience)
neyuru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumblebear wrote:

Also, xorg has 3 options for building intel support: intel, i915 and i965. The distinction from i915 and i965 is straightforward (I think: old vs new hardware) but what about plain intel?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: