Cannot change file associations in kde
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
equaeghe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Cannot change file associations in kde Reply with quote

It seems that when I try to change the file associations in the kde/plasma system settings, they are immediately undone. namely, closing and reopening the system settings shows that the previous associations are still in effect and the new ones nowhere to be seen.

After reading a bit, I looked up all the mimeapps.list files I could find in my home directory and threw them out. After that, things still don't work. ~/.config/mimeapps.list is created with the changes I make in system settings, but it seems this file is ignored.

One reason is that for spyder there is a file association to spyder3 for .py files, but the executable isn't called spyder3 anymore, it's just spyder. But also that I do not seem to be able to find out where it is defined.

Any guidance on file associations in general and specifically for kde/plasma are very much appreciated.
Jari_42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my KDE system there is also ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. I vaguely recall having to edit this when I was struggling with KDE file associations.

Also after editing mimeapps.list you need to run update-desktop-database to rebuild the mimeinfo.cache (as this is where the file associations are actually read from by the system).

Generally KDE file associations are a bit of a mess, whenever you edit a desktop entry in the KDE start menu it creates a duplicate entry in ~/.local/share/applications/ which can cause issues.
1129667683: Started emerge on: Oct 18, 2005 20:34:43
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: