[Solved] Birdtray not connecting to Thunderbird
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digifuzzy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: [Solved] Birdtray not connecting to Thunderbird Reply with quote

Posting for awareness...

For those that want a system tray indication of received mail, something sorely lacking in Thunderbird, many posts I have encountered recommended Birdtray application. I had used it before but had installed it manually from source. I finally got around to using the Birdtray ebuild.

Unfortunately, I could never get Birdtray to connect to the Thunderbird instance (Birdtray setting -> Hiding -> 'Show red X in tray icon if Thunderbird is not running'). I filed a bug and moved on. I returned to the problem tonight. A random web search brought me back to an old issue that sounded similar to my circumstances. A quick check of suggested steps(see: https://github.com/gyunaev/birdtray/issues/265) and the problem is solved.

If building TB (not the -bin ebuild), the application window name is changed with TB-68.9.0 (started not long ago - 68.0.0 IIRC).
For others who run into this problem...

1. Start TB - keep it open on desktop
  2. Start terminal
  3. Enter xprop
  4. Click TB window directly ( NOT the panel )
  5. Note the the entry for WM_NAME(STRING) key entry. It should follow the pattern user@email.domain - Window Name
  6. Open Birdtray, select Settings -> Advanced and enter in " - WIndow Name" in the field Thunderbird window name pattern:
  7. Click Okay in Birdtray Settings window.

For current TB-68.9.0, window name is '- Thunderbird Daily'.

Birdtray should then re-start and with it, depending on your settings, TB should start.
The red X, showing a missing connection, should disappear.
Birdtray should now be in control of the TB instance (open/close/minimize etc).

Edit: Modify/explain window name property.
Note: These steps were taken from upstream bug report.

Last edited by digifuzzy on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: [Solved] Birdtray not connecting to Thunderbird Reply with quote

digifuzzy wrote:
  1. Start TB - keep it open on desktop
  2. Start terminal
  3. Enter xprop
  4. Click TB window directly ( NOT the panel )
  5. Note the the entry for WM_NAME(STRING) key entry. It should follow the pattern user@email.domain - Thunderbird Daily
  6. Open Birdtray, select Settings -> Advanced and enter in
    Code:
     - Thunderbird Daily
    in the field Thunderbird window name pattern:
Could you explain the second to last step? You tell users to look up the WM_NAME and the pattern they should expect to see, but in the last step, you seem to have a literal that is independent of what the user found. Why does the user need to check the value of WM_NAME if they will not use it? If they do use it, is the last step supposed to include the full WM_NAME, not just the literal part you showed?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: