View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Copy - cut - paste stopped working [Solved] Reply with quote

A recent upgrade (within the past 2 weeks or so) has made cut/copy and paste stop working.

Cut (ctrl-x, or with the mouse menu) for example will remove selected text, but it won't then paste (ctrl-v, or shift-insert, or mouse paste). This affects multiple applications (I've tested Chrome, Firefox, Kate, Libreoffice) cutting and pasting files in Dolphin too.

Using KDE plasma stable.

Thanks

Last edited by tabanus on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked the keyboard shortcuts settings for your desktop enviroment?
Does KDE provide a special tool for handling those actions, like a history tool or something like that?

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing unusual in there that I can see. Copy is listed as Ctr+C as would be expected.

Plasma updated again this week, still has the same problem. Copy now requires Ctrl+CC rather than Ctrl+C. Cut doesn't work at all (in that the cut text or item won't paste).

I have 2 Gentoo PCs with the same problem now. :(
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you reproduce the problem with a different DE.
IsmoHaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to chime in that I seem to have this problem too. I'm also using stable KDE and what I noticed is that the "select-text + middle-mouse-click" to copy paste (which I tend to very much prefer over ctrl-c + ctrl-v) is broken. Selecting text does make that text appear in klipper, but middle clicking doesn't paste it anywhere. Any suggestion on how to fix would be very much appreciated, given how annoying it is to not be able to copy-paste properly in 2020....
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd...select and middle click does work for me. Not sure about another DE, I only have KDE on my systems.
mDup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same issue here, running latest KDE and tested several terminals. Issue also when remote ssh into a gentoo box, and not when ssh into an ubuntu box. I also add: issue not happening in a 'screen' terminal. And non-working case shows pasted selection highlighted,

Last edited by mDup on Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing with Mate and Openbox. sometimes works, but often doesn't. I suspect xorg-server.
mDup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Same thing with Mate and Openbox. sometimes works, but often doesn't. I suspect xorg-server.

fwiw: when ssh into an up to date gentoo box (e.g. a server) from an up to date kubuntu DE, I also see the problem (but not on the kubuntu box itself). It seems gentoo specific. It started on all my gentoo boxes same time, 3 or 6 weeks ago (I update every 3 weeks).

also: I talk about the "select-text + middle-mouse-click" issue, specifically in a DE terminal: basically selected text is pasted but highlighted and it requires one extra manual return keystroke for it to be sent to the terminal input (and executed as commands).

so basically it seems the last newline is not pasted.
mkresch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mDup wrote:

specifically in a DE terminal: basically selected text is pasted but highlighted and it requires one extra manual return keystroke for it to be sent to the terminal input (and executed as commands).

I'm using e16, and have this issue starting in the last 6 days or so. It makes pasting multiple commands into an interpreted environment impossible (since you end up with a highlighted block of text rather than a sequence of commands).

Not sure if it's a bug or a configuration issue -- if the latter, does anyone know how to configure the way the primary clipboard handles line endings?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

For issues with 'highlighted' paste, see for example: highlight when paste (bracketed paste)
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this has any relation to this problem (I still have a relatively old KDE setup installed on my machine), but a relatively well-known overflow exist[s|ed] in KDE where copy and paste stops working after exactly 2^32 milliseconds of uptime (49 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes, and 47+ seconds). I will encounter that again in just two days, and have learned to simply reboot when I reach that uptime (a very annoying bug).

Last edited by curmudgeon on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
mkresch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
For issues with 'highlighted' paste, see for example: highlight when paste (bracketed paste)

Thank you! Problem solved.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curmudgeon wrote:
... a relatively well-known buffer overflow exist[s|ed] in KDE where copy and past stops working after exactly 2^32 milliseconds of uptime (49 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes, and 47+ seconds). I will encounter that again in just two days, and have learned to simply reboot when I reach that uptime (a very annoying bug).
If you just keep up with your stable kernel updates, this bug will never be a problem, because there will (almost) always be a newer stable kernel that you need to boot into before your uptime reaches the threshold. ;)

As a technical aside, I don't know that this would meet the usual definition of "buffer overflow." What you describe would clearly be a bug, but I tend to think of buffer overflow as a bug where actual stored data exceeds the size of the buffer to hold it. This sounds like a counter overflow, where a 32-bit value was used to hold a milliseconds-precision time, and the logic goes awry when the value overflows back to 0.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curmudgeon wrote:
... a relatively well-known buffer overflow exist[s|ed] in KDE where copy and past stops working after exactly 2^32 milliseconds of uptime (49 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes, and 47+ seconds).

Where have I seen that before... hmmm [1]. :]

1. https://web.archive.org/web/20000229055735/http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q216/6/41.asp
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
As a technical aside, I don't know that this would meet the usual definition of "buffer overflow." What you describe would clearly be a bug, but I tend to think of buffer overflow as a bug where actual stored data exceeds the size of the buffer to hold it. This sounds like a counter overflow, where a 32-bit value was used to hold a milliseconds-precision time, and the logic goes awry when the value overflows back to 0.

Okay, I edited my reply. :)
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still broken for me almost a year later. Same problem on two separate (though physically similiar setups) PCs.
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to report back that after almost 2 years, I finally seem to have got to the bottom of this. So for anyone else suffering from this:-

Click on clipboard in Plasma's system tray.

Click on 'Configure clipboard' (it's hidden behind an icon at the top right corner of the clipboard window).

Under the menu option 'Selection and Clipboard' uncheck 'Ignore Selection'

Click Apply.
TechwoIf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:
Under the menu option 'Selection and Clipboard' uncheck 'Ignore Selection'

Click Apply.

THANK YOU!!! Copy/Paste stopped working in mc (midnight commander) using Konsole terminal a while back.

So an upgrade desided to set that setting for whatever reason and broke it. Unsetting that fixed it.

Tip: When viewing a file in mc, press shift and highlight the text you want to copy. Release shift and then do Ctrl-c.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, clipboard managers may tend to mess up default behaviors.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: