Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
sddm greeter: blank screen with non-blinking cursor [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mv
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 6380

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: sddm greeter: blank screen with non-blinking cursor [solved] Reply with quote

On all of my machines the sddm greeter does not work: It displays a black blank screen with a non-blinking(!) cursor.
There is no problem if I avoid the greeter and use autologin. (There is also no problem if I use slim instead of sddm.)
The only visible error message I see after /etc/init.d/xdm start is in
Xorg.0.log wrote:
(EE) Failed to open authorization file "/var/run/sddm/{some hex-code}": No such file or directory

The strange thing with this message is that the file actually does exist when I check.
Actually, the server seems to be running: After /etc/init.d/xdm stop there are some lines added to
Xorg.0.log wrote:
(II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[...]
(II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
(II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Only nothing is visible...

I already tried other greeters and various configurations (including USE=pam and USE=-systemd).

On the machines there are different graphic cards, currently all from intel, but I had the same problem also on nvidia.


Last edited by mv on Fri May 29, 2020 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 24623
Location: here

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can help this bug?
_________________
Questions are guaranteed in life; Answers aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mv
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 6380

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank your for the reply.
However, I do not think that this can help: The problem existed already with sddm-0.15 (I should have written that), and it is not tight to nviidia. Moreover, I have drm configured.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 24623
Location: here

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already tried to install sys-apps/haveged
_________________
Questions are guaranteed in life; Answers aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mv
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 6380

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, haveged is installed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 1873
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to add the sddm user to the video group for sddm to work:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@meshedgedx ~ $ groups sddm
video sddm

_________________
Clevo W230SS: amd64 nvidia-drivers & xf86-video-intel.
Compal NBLB2: ~amd64 xf86-video-ati. Dual boot Win 7 Pro 64-bit.
OpenRC eudev elogind & KDE on both.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Sep 2004
Posts: 2835
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: sddm greeter shows blank screen with non-blinking cursor Reply with quote

mv wrote:
On all of my machines the sddm greeter does not work: It displays a black blank screen with a non-blinking(!) cursor.
There is no problem if I avoid the greeter and use autologin. (There is also no problem if I use slim instead of sddm.)
The only visible error message I see after /etc/init.d/xdm start is in
Xorg.0.log wrote:
(EE) Failed to open authorization file "/var/run/sddm/{some hex-code}": No such file or directory

The strange thing with this message is that the file actually does exist when I check.
Actually, the server seems to be running: After /etc/init.d/xdm stop there are some lines added to
Xorg.0.log wrote:
(II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[...]
(II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
(II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Only nothing is visible...

I already tried other greeters and various configurations (including USE=pam and USE=-systemd).

On the machines there are different graphic cards, currently all from intel, but I had the same problem also on nvidia.



I also have this error in Xorg.0.log, but sdm works. On some of my machines it does not start if elogind is already running before sddm is launched, so I have to kill elogind manually and let sddm start the new instance of elogind by irself
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 1873
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, dmpogo. Just checked Xorg.0.log on my laptop that uses sddm and behaves normally. Indeed, it has that error message and elogind is not configured to run in any runlevel:

Code:
meshedgedx ~ # grep "(EE)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[    76.899] (EE) Failed to open authorization file "/var/run/sddm/{a1ea59f1-451a-4474-9164-3a5087004f1f}": No such file or directory


Code:
meshedgedx ~ # rc-update -v | grep elogind
              elogind |
meshedgedx ~ #

_________________
Clevo W230SS: amd64 nvidia-drivers & xf86-video-intel.
Compal NBLB2: ~amd64 xf86-video-ati. Dual boot Win 7 Pro 64-bit.
OpenRC eudev elogind & KDE on both.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Sep 2004
Posts: 2835
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Good point, dmpogo. Just checked Xorg.0.log on my laptop that uses sddm and behaves normally. Indeed, it has that error message and elogind is not configured to run in any runlevel:

Code:
meshedgedx ~ # grep "(EE)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[    76.899] (EE) Failed to open authorization file "/var/run/sddm/{a1ea59f1-451a-4474-9164-3a5087004f1f}": No such file or directory


Code:
meshedgedx ~ # rc-update -v | grep elogind
              elogind |
meshedgedx ~ #



In my case elogind is also is not in any runlevel, sddm launches it itself. However if then I'll restart sddm, say logout and do /etc/init.d/xdm restart, the first instance of elogind will continue to run, and restart will fail.
I have to go, kill elogind, and only then do xdm restart. However, this happens on only one machine out of three, and since I do such restarts maybe once in two month if at all, I never investigated further.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mv
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 6380

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
I had to add the sddm user to the video group for sddm to work:

Code:
fitzcarraldo@meshedgedx ~ $ groups sddm
video sddm

This is the case here. Maybe I already read it somewhere.

I do not have elogind installed (and correspondingly USE=-elogind for sddm); I have systemd installed in parallel to openrc, and I tried sddm with and without USE=systemd and with and without booting through systemd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 1873
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm clutching at straws here: have you tried either depontius's or brendlefly62's solutions in the thread [SOLVED] SDDM black screen?
_________________
Clevo W230SS: amd64 nvidia-drivers & xf86-video-intel.
Compal NBLB2: ~amd64 xf86-video-ati. Dual boot Win 7 Pro 64-bit.
OpenRC eudev elogind & KDE on both.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mv
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 6380

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
I'm clutching at straws here: have you tried either depontius's or brendlefly62's solutions in the thread [SOLVED] SDDM black screen?

Finally, that's it! Creating /var/lib/sddm did the trick! Thanks a lot!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum