Adding a static arp entry
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troopo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Adding a static arp entry Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm experiencing weird connection issues at times, router seems fine with other devices just the PC is affected, after doing some sniffing i can see the router doesn't answer any ARP requests.
I'm thinking of adding a static ARP entry to resolve this, but i'm not sure how and what are my other options.

Any ideas?
Banana
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Troopo.

I dont know it this is the best solution (I do not know much about the arp topic, I wonder why only our PC does have this problem) but there are the following topics which could help you:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1075010-start-0.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-97662-start-0.html
Troopo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana wrote:
Hello Troopo.

I dont know it this is the best solution (I do not know much about the arp topic, I wonder why only our PC does have this problem) but there are the following topics which could help you:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1075010-start-0.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-97662-start-0.html

Thank you, the first post i have found myself before making this thread.
Unfortunately i couldn't make it work, adding the postscript hook didn't do anything as far as i can see.

somehow it seems much simpler in other distros than in Gentoo, no idea why.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've got a problem in your network setup and you think that you can solve it by adding a static ARP entry.

But that's a misconception. Try to find the real cause and fix that.

Although adding static ARP rules might be useful in some rare cases, I've never seen a case in which it was a valid and useful technique to solve a network issue.
Banana
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since only client (you PC) does have the problem and others not, I would investigate why.
Troopo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid points, however:
I've had this problem appear randomly in both Linux and Windows so that takes out OS or configuration from the PC side.
While having this problem, other devices that were connected to the same router had no issue working, so this mean the issue is related to the PC and probably not the router.
I had a friend point out i should run a sniffer while the problem occurs to find out what is happening and after i shared the status he said he had the same issue and partially solved it by adding a static ARP entry, different routers so not FW related.
I've tried different Lan cables and router ports to rule that out.
The most logical suspect is the actual Lan port \ MB that is causing this at random \ load times since everything else is ruled out, the same friend that had the issue said it disappeared once he had a new PC.

I'm not very skilled in Linux or Networking to take it to the next level i.e. i have no idea what to do and honestly those minor tests seems solid to me to pinpoint the issue to HW rather than SW and if that ARP change can solve it, why the hell not?
I could be wrong here but while there are things that should probably be touched by experienced people only, or changed with caution or could cause some issues\headache if messed around with, i don't believe in something being an untouchable, this is Linux.... the whole point is we can do or mess with anything and everything.
That's my full story and 5 cents on this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: