elogind still causes sddm to stop working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amon2501
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: elogind still causes sddm to stop working Reply with quote

Every update of elogind (since adding that +elogind flag globally) is asking to do rc-update add elogind boot
But after doing that sddm wont start on the next reboot (only text mode). Why this happens and what should i do to make it work together?
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking: did you rebuild all packages that have consolekit useflag
after enabling the elogind useflag in make.conf? Did you remove
consolekit from services with rc-update?

After doing all that, my two gentoo computers had no trouble with SDDM, FWIW>
Amon2501
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve rebuilt everything needed using revdep-rebuild (doing that every time after an update). And consolekit is even removed with the emerge --depclean.
yoshi_26_02
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your sddm.log stops with "Starting..." and "Logind interface found"?

If so, I currently have the same problem.
Downgrading SDDM to 0.15.0 solved the problem.

However, since this version is masked for vulnerability issue, I wouldn't consider this a proper solution.
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use nvidia-drivers see also https://bugs.gentoo.org/697634
yoshi_26_02
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:

Thank you, enabling CONFIG_DRM in my kernel solved the problem for me.
Amon2501
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi_26_02 wrote:
Does your sddm.log stops with "Starting..." and "Logind interface found"?

If so, I currently have the same problem.
Downgrading SDDM to 0.15.0 solved the problem.

However, since this version is masked for vulnerability issue, I wouldn't consider this a proper solution.

Yes it did, when i ve enabled elogind. And i dont want to downgrade too. i`ll beter wait until it fixed with elogind being disabled instead.
Amon2501
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:

What is CONFIG_DRM ? Is it somehow related to something like "not showing video on the tv or monitor just black screen" or "that video isnt available in you country" and so on? I dont want to have such things on my pc.
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
 CONFIG_DRM:                                                                                                                                                       

Kernel-level support for the Direct Rendering Infrastructure (DRI)                                                                                               
 introduced in XFree86 4.0. If you say Y here, you need to select                                                                                                 
 the module that's right for your graphics card from the list below.                                                                                               
 These modules provide support for synchronization, security, and                                                                                                 
 DMA transfers. Please see <http://dri.sourceforge.net/> for more                                                                                                 
 details.  You should also select and configure AGP                                                                                                               
 (/dev/agpgart) support if it is available for your platform.                                                                                                     

Symbol: DRM [=y]                                                                                                                                                 
 Type  : tristate                                                                                                                                                 
 Prompt: Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)                                                                                           
   Location:                                                                                                                                                       
     -> Device Drivers                                                                                                                                             
       -> Graphics support                                                                                                                                         
   Defined at drivers/gpu/drm/Kconfig:7                                                                                                                           
   Depends on: HAS_IOMEM [=y] && (AGP [=y] || AGP [=y]=n) && !EMULATED_CMPXCHG && HAS_DMA [=y]                                                                     
   Selects: DRM_PANEL_ORIENTATION_QUIRKS [=y] && HDMI [=y] && FB_CMDLINE [=y] && I2C [=y] && I2C_ALGOBIT [=y] && DMA_SHARED_BUFFER [=y] && SYNC_FILE [=y]

yoshi_26_02
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amon2501 wrote:
fedeliallalinea wrote:

What is CONFIG_DRM ? Is it somehow related to something like "not showing video on the tv or monitor just black screen" or "that video isnt available in you country" and so on? I dont want to have such things on my pc.

DRM in CONFIG_DRM stands for Direct Rendering Manager and is a kernel feature related to video rendering, it is not related to the DRM as in Digital Rights Management like in the examples you quoted.
CONFIG_DRM seems to be required by SDDM after 0.15.0 in order to work with elogind and nvidia's proprietary drivers installed by x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers.

If you use nvidia-drivers, I would suggest trying to enable CONFIG_DRM in the kernel, rebuilding the kernel then the nvidia-drivers, and see if it works.
It worked for me, but if it doesn't, the bug also suggested adding the kernel parameter "nvidia-drm.modeset=1".
The wiki page does suggest against enabling CONFIG_DRM, and I think it would be good to mention bug #697634 for those having this problem.

By the way, while the DRMs as in Digital Rights Management are not related to the CONFIG_DRM kernel configuration, those are already present in the nvidia's proprietary drivers, so you cannot really avoid them.
Amon2501
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember portage complaining someday that i should disable that drm thing in my kernel, probably that was about the nvidia-drivers. I could try it anyway, but still hope it`s gonna be fixed, because enabling DRM to make sddm work with elogind is actually a workaround, not the way it`s intended to be.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why this issue is for some reason being triggered by using sddm with logind, but this has nothing to do with elogind itself.

*Disabling* CONFIG_DRM must have been a workaround for nvidia-drivers users at some point, it probably isn't anymore.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: