Strange paths with emerge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tukem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Strange paths with emerge Reply with quote

I have noticed that atleast with some ebuilds paths get fucked up during compiling. I just emerged links and though it run to the end there were following messages:
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./links.1 /var/tmp/portage/links-2.1_pre2-r1/image//usr/share/man/man1/links2.1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/links-2.1_pre2-r1/work/links-2.1pre2'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/links-2.1_pre2-r1/work/links-2.1pre2'
X
svga
chmod: failed to get attributes of `/var/tmp/portage/links-2.1_pre2-r1/image//usr/bin/links': No such file or directory

Some of the lines are perfectly correct but what are those two lines with .../image//usr/....
Correct version would of course read just "/usr/...".

The same thing happens with db-3.2.9-pre1. But with it the error is more fatal. After everything but docs are at place it gives some error messages and stops.

In the Makefile it's something like:
GREAT_PATH = /usr/bin
do: @cp somewhere/something $(GREAT_PATH)

I couldn't find anything that could change the path value to something else from Makefile so I'm open to suggestions.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange paths with emerge Reply with quote

tukem wrote:
Some of the lines are perfectly correct but what are those two lines with .../image//usr/....
Correct version would of course read just "/usr/...".

I'm sorry, why do you think it should read /usr at that point? Isn't it still working in the installation staging directory?

Quote:
The same thing happens with db-3.2.9-pre1. But with it the error is more fatal. After everything but docs are at place it gives some error messages and stops.

Could you please post the text of those "some error messages"?
rooby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experiencing the same problem with ghostview also. Here is the last of the error messages before it dies.

/bin/cp: preserving permissions for `/var/tmp/portage/db-3.2.9-r1/image//usr/docs/ref/xa': Invalid argument
/bin/cp: preserving permissions for `/var/tmp/portage/db-3.2.9-r1/image//usr/docs/ref': Invalid argument
/bin/cp: preserving permissions for `/var/tmp/portage/db-3.2.9-r1/image//usr/docs/sleepycat': Invalid argument
/bin/cp: preserving permissions for `/var/tmp/portage/db-3.2.9-r1/image//usr/docs/utility': Invalid argument
make: *** [install_docs] Error 1

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_install, Line 4, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

!!! emerge aborting on /usr/portage/sys-libs/db/db-3.2.9-r1.ebuild .
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using XFS and ACLs? Check out this thread.
tukem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now... I do use XFS, after checking my kernel options noticed I also have ACL. I guess I better do some patching & recompiling then.
Lactic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar issues and have posted in a few threads now, but I'm running ReiserFS, no gresecurity (that seems a common question...)

This is a fresh installation, I emerged a few utils, lynx, then did 'emerge gnome' to let that go for the next day or two, and it barfed on the first or second pkg, libwww. I don't have an exact errmsg (though if you can tell me where to get it, I can grab it), and have files in /var/tmp/portage now that I can't remove/chmod/etc. these directories or files. I can rename the directories, and can move all but the deepest directory (and can't move the files inside that directory).

If I try to move that deepest dir, I get a "mv: cannot stat <dir name>: no such file or directory". If I ls in a dir, it works. If I ls -la (inside this deepest directory), I get Permission Denied errors. If I try to move a file out of these directories, I get "mv: cannot stat 'filename': permission denied.

note: i started at /var/tmp/portage/<dir>/ and started moving subfolders out of <dir> and down to the portage directory. Once I did that, I could remove the previous <dir>. This is what I mean by the deepest directory, is the last directory that contains files and no directories.

man I hope someone here has an idea...someone posted a similar problem and ran chkresiserfs and the partition ended up hosed. that would make me unhappy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: