View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: NeXTSTEP-like DE? Reply with quote

I'm looking to try some different DE's with non-standard design paradigms. Looking at NeXTSTEP-like environments, x11-wm/windowmaker looks like what I'm looking for. It says it's a window manager for GNUstep and there are GNUstep packages in the Gentoo repos, but their website claims "GNUstep is not a desktop".

What exactly should I be installing if I want something close to a full desktop experience, not just a minimal WM? Is that even something I should be expecting? Is windowmaker enough? There is a gnustep-apps category but I haven't found a GNUstep desktop meta package to install.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once and it reduces your influence.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEXTSPACE looks cool, but I have not tried it myself.

EDIT: Out of curiosity I have just installed NEXTSPACE in CentOS 7 (the only distribution supported) on a VM, using the instructions at: https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/wiki/Install-Guide
Having used OPENSTEP, NEXTSPACE is similar although it needs some more work on the functionality. Visually it looks very good. Despite the locale, timezone and keymaps (console and X11) being set correctly, the terminal app would only use a US keymap. The digital clock shows the time as UTC+3 and I could not find a way to change that, although local time (UTC+1) is shown correctly in a terminal window when I use the 'clock' command and 'date' command. 'Localization Preferences' also shows the time as UTC+3 instead of my local time (UTC+1), and shows the date in US format (03/29/2020), which does not match the locale I have set (it should be 29/03/2020). I could not find a way to change that either. Also, I could not find *.app packages for e.g. Firefox so I ended up generating one for Firefox by using the Bash script generate-app-wrappers on the host machine and transferring the .app package to the VM (see https://github.com/nicktelindert/GenerateXAppWrapper for the Bash script):

Code:
$ ./generate-app-wrappers -i /usr/share/applications -o /home/fitzcarraldo/NEXTSPACE

Anyway, NEXTSPACE looks promising. Pity it is only available for CentOS 7 though.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Marcih
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
NEXTSPACE looks cool, but I have not tried it myself.

EDIT: Out of curiosity I have just installed NEXTSPACE in CentOS 7 (the only distribution supported) on a VM, using the instructions at: https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/wiki/Install-Guide
Having used OPENSTEP, NEXTSPACE is similar although it needs some more work on the functionality. Visually it looks very good. Despite the locale, timezone and keymaps (console and X11) being set correctly, the terminal app would only use a US keymap. The digital clock shows the time as UTC+3 and I could not find a way to change that, although local time (UTC+1) is shown correctly in a terminal window when I use the 'clock' command and 'date' command. 'Localization Preferences' also shows the time as UTC+3 instead of my local time (UTC+1), and shows the date in US format (03/29/2020), which does not match the locale I have set (it should be 29/03/2020). I could not find a way to change that either. Also, I could not find *.app packages for e.g. Firefox so I ended up generating one for Firefox by using the Bash script generate-app-wrappers on the host machine and transferring the .app package to the VM (see https://github.com/nicktelindert/GenerateXAppWrapper for the Bash script):

Code:
$ ./generate-app-wrappers -i /usr/share/applications -o /home/fitzcarraldo/NEXTSPACE

Anyway, NEXTSPACE looks promising. Pity it is only available for CentOS 7 though.

It does look cool, I'm trying it out myself on a CentOS 7 VM. I've never used anything like this, the most non-Windows desktop I've ever used is Mac OS X! :lol: I have the same issue with the locale with timezones and date format but the terminal uses my keymap as set by localectl just fine. I also have yet to try installing new packages.

It looks like the devs have added CentOS 8 and Fedora 31 to the supported distros in the meantime as well. The limitation is only for the install script though; we have the GNUStep packages in Gentoo though, shouldn't we theoretically be able to build it here ourselves?

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The problem with leaving is that you can only do it once and it reduces your influence.
multix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEXTSPACE is a tuned and customized set of application, forked to be more specifically tailored.

Usually GNUstep apps try to be portable across operating systems.

To get a "Worspace" beyond WindowMaker you can run GWorkspace, SystemPreferences, GSPdf (useful also for print previews) most applications in GAP (Terminal, AddressManager, BatteryMonitor, to cite a few) and then use some of its end-user applications like GNUMail for Mail and PRICE and LaternaMagica for image showing.... Graphos for basic Drawing

Just to cite a few.

IDE is composed of ProjectCenter+Gorm.

Don't expect something complete like XFce and GNOME and especially don't expect good cooperation between different toolkit apps (while e.g. XFce and GNOME are both basedon GTK, things are smoother together)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: