XFCE broken with latest linux-firmware [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcrook
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: XFCE broken with latest linux-firmware [solved] Reply with quote

I just ran into a little gotcha that I was able to fix so I figured I would share. My system has an Nvidia 1070ti video card and I'm using the Nouveau driver with the latest (non-dev) Gentoo kernel. I have the sys-kernel/linux-firmware package installed and yesterday I did an update that installed the 20200316 version. Since I have a 1070ti I have the gp104 set of files in my /etc/portage/savedconfig/sys-kernel/linux-firmware/20200122 file. So I did the same thing, I backed up linux-firmware-20200316 file and then greped for the gp104 firmware files and wrote those to the linux-firmware-20200316 file.

After rebooting I could not get XFCE to start. I use lightdm as display manager and after logging in the screen would just blank and bounce back to the lightdm page. I was able to start an icewm session though. Thinking back I realized the last thing I updated was related to video was the linux-firmware file. I ran dmesg and now I was getting an error message from Nouveau about firmware not loading. So I checked the /lib/firmware/gp104 directory and now there are a bunch files in there that are symlinks to the gp102 versions that I didn't install. Just adding the gp102 files didn't work because some of those are symlinks to other hardware versions. I ended up just installing all the Nvidia firmware files and that seemed to fix things. No more firmware load error message and XFCE was able to start.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: