Night Color on KDE Plasma 5.17.5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radio_flyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Night Color on KDE Plasma 5.17.5 Reply with quote

Well, I had Night Color working fine on 5.17.4, but now on 5.17.5 whenever I log in at night Night Color is off. I have to enter System Settings, change something on the Night Color tab, change it back so the Apply button appears, and pressing Apply finally puts the monitors in Night Color mode. Is anyone else having the same problem? Found a fix?
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to remove [NightColor] section in .config/kwinrc and relogin, so change settings and see if persist in next login
radio_flyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already tried that, with no success. I've discovered two things about it: it does switch to Night Color if I'm logged in during sunset, but it won't when I log out and then back in after sunset. Also, the SDDM login screen (screens on my system as I have 3 monitors) aren't Night Color (never have been), but they switch to Night Color after I log in but before kwin comes up. Once kwin is running and the KDE panel appears Night Color gets turned off.

$ qdbus org.kde.KWin /ColorCorrect nightColorInfo
Active: true
ActiveEnabled: true
Available: true
CurrentColorTemperature: 6500
EveningBeginFixed: 18:00:00
LatitudeAuto: 0
LatitudeFixed: 0
LocationEnabled: true
LongitudeAuto: 0
LongitudeFixed: 0
Mode: 2
ModeEnabled: true
MorningBeginFixed: 06:00:00
NightTemperature: 3500
NightTemperatureEnabled: true
Running: true
TimingsEnabled: true
TransitionTime: 5

$ sed -nr "/^\[NightColor\]/ { :l /^\s*[^#].*/ p; n; /^\[/ q; b l; }" .config/kwinrc
[NightColor]
Active=true
EveningBeginFixed=1800
Mode=Times
MorningBeginFixed=0600
NightTemperature=3500
TransitionTime=5

Browsing bugs.kde.org it appears Night Color has quite a few bugs. I may have to wait until the next point release and see if it magically fixes itself, or file another bug.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't confuse the lock screen with SDDM. SDDM can't have Night Color since it runs before you log into Plasma session.

There will be no more point release if 5.17. Current ~arch available version is 5.18.3 if you want to try that.
radio_flyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Don't confuse the lock screen with SDDM. SDDM can't have Night Color since it runs before you log into Plasma session.

There will be no more point release if 5.17. Current ~arch available version is 5.18.3 if you want to try that.

Yeah, you're right. What I meant was that the KDE splash screen(s) show Night Color before the desktop (or something) finishes loading and turns it back off. It's not an SDDM problem.

Thanks for the pointer to 5.18.3, I didn't know it was in the repository now. I'll unkeyword it and give it a try.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: