[SOLVED] Cant have internet from usb gigabit adapter
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vcmota
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Cant have internet from usb gigabit adapter Reply with quote

I have just assembled a gigabit network in my home, using cat 6 rj45 cables and the appropriated connectors, and just after that I realized one of my old computers had the slower fast ethernet card

Code:

~> lspci | grep Ether
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 07)
~>

So in order to try to enjoy my 240Mbps internet via cable I tried to connect the cat 6 ethernet cable using a gigabit usb adapter in a usb3.0 port, but without any success. The computer recognizes the adapter

Code:

~> lsusb | grep Gig
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
~>

but when I insert the ip addr command I get nothing from usb:

Code:

~> ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 brd 127.255.255.255 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: enp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 84:7b:eb:e6:95:78 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: sit0@NONE: <NOARP> mtu 1480 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/sit 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0
4: wlp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 70:77:81:d3:d4:99 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.0.26/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global noprefixroute wlp2s0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
~>

I looked from Gentoo documentation on this but I found very little, only this and this. I have set everything suggested on the kernel, and recompiled it accordingly. But nothing changes after restarting my machine: I still get internet only from wify or directly linking the ethernet cable into my laptop.

I am surely missing something, but have no idea of what it is. Thank you all.

Last edited by vcmota on Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cant have internet from usb gigabit adapter Reply with quote

vcmota wrote:
The computer recognizes the adapter

it recognize it so the adapter is seen only, you need a driver for it to work ; just like lspci would recognize your videocard, still you need a driver to handle that videocard

you can use a livecd with lspci to find what driver you need, or seek in the kernel or internet what driver is need for an RTL810xE card, but i think you'll find it easy in the kernel config
edit: oh i just seen you have the answer to it already, so it looks like you need CONFIG_USB_RTL8152
vcmota
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cant have internet from usb gigabit adapter Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
vcmota wrote:
The computer recognizes the adapter

it recognize it so the adapter is seen only, you need a driver for it to work ; just like lspci would recognize your videocard, still you need a driver to handle that videocard

you can use a livecd with lspci to find what driver you need, or seek in the kernel or internet what driver is need for an RTL810xE card, but i think you'll find it easy in the kernel config
edit: oh i just seen you have the answer to it already, so it looks like you need CONFIG_USB_RTL8152

Thank you very much krinn, that was it. I was setting the wrong drivers in the kernel due to pure dumbness: there is a driver with the exact name of my gigabit adapter and I did not paid attention. After recompiling the kernel and rebooting, everything worked perfectly, with 240mbps coming from the new usb internet connection.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: